sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2021 9:50 am  #1

Channels 4 & 23 Owner Starts New Subcarrier - But We Can't See It Yet

Nexstar, the company that owns WIVB and WNLO-TV in Buffalo, has announced yet another subcarrier service that will go live on Sept. 1st - but not on either of those stations. This latest added channel is devoted to the growing genre of sports betting and will be seen at launch in nine markets. But The Queen City isn't one of them. 

What will we be missing? 

"The network’s mission is to provide real-time sports news, data, analytics, and statistics to engage sports audiences whenever and wherever they choose. SportsGrid’s reporting and analytic platform includes daily odds, lines, matchups, injury reports, statistics, news, and more across the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, college sports, golf, tennis, and soccer."

If it gains in popularity, I suppose it's only a matter of time until they start airing it here, and although the content of this thing wouldn't interest me for a second, there are likely thousands of avid gamblers who would tune in - possibly including NT1010 host Ryan Doyle, whose penchant for wagering on sports is hardly a secret. 

Is this something you'd watch if it was available here?

Nexstar Media and SportsGrid to Launch First-Ever Diginet for Sports Wagering and Fantasy Sports

August 25, 2021 10:25 am  #2

Re: Channels 4 & 23 Owner Starts New Subcarrier - But We Can't See It Yet

This might qualify as the first.

August 25, 2021 10:34 am  #3

There have already been a number of radio stations in the U.S. that have started using this format, but I think this is the first 24-hour OTA TV network devoted solely to it. It sounds like it would be as exciting as watching paint dry, but I'm not into gambling in any way. Those who are might find it of interest. 

Is it big enough to sustain itself on a 24-hour basis, given the difference in cost from TV to radio? A more apropos question might be what are the odds it will be a moneymaker for Nexstar? I guess we'll see - although not in Buffalo, at least at the beginning. 

August 25, 2021 11:55 am  #4

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Is there anything in the Canadian regulatory system to protect us from this type of format showing up here?

Indirectly, in that Canadian regulations allow distributors, networks, and local stations to be completely vertically integrated, dis-incentivizing any subchannel creativity.

August 26, 2021 8:16 am  #5

Since I organize and operate the NFL pool at my local watering hole, this service might be of some interest to me. I would certainly be willing to check it out if it was available. Not being an OTA person, it won't be.