sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2021 4:15 pm  #1

Hey Moore In The Morning! John Cleese Filming In Ontario

Wouldn't it be fantastic if Newstalk 1010's John Moore could interview Monty Python's John Cleese, the comedic legend, who will be living in the Huntsville area of Ontario in the near future while he works on his latest project.

Don't know what the flick John (Cleese) is making, but perhaps John (Moore) could do one his terrific interviews, get a small role in the film, and remote broadcast the morning show for a few weeks on location. Okay the last part might be asking for a bit much.

Mr. Cleese is also currently looking for a place in Huntsville to stay whilst filming, should you have an abode to rent.

Odd how so many radio people, including myself and other big yellow board members are huge fans of Monty Python..then again, perhaps not.😏

August 2, 2021 9:12 pm  #2

Re: Hey Moore In The Morning! John Cleese Filming In Ontario

I'd like to have an argument please.

August 2, 2021 10:07 pm  #3

Cleese is 81 - does he really need the money at this point in his life?

August 3, 2021 11:17 pm  #4

BeatleTeunis wrote:

One of their best.

Last edited by betaylored (August 3, 2021 11:17 pm)

August 3, 2021 11:22 pm  #5

cash wrote:

If you google John Cleese and the word divorce, he was really put through the ringer and had to go back to work, even did "the Alimony Tour" in order to pay off his ex-wife(s) the millions of dollars (California divorce🥴) he owed. He may need the money for basic living expenses.

August 4, 2021 9:51 am  #6

cash wrote:

You could ask the same question to Warren Buffet or Jim Pattison.  In the recent thread about Pattison I was going to make the same response but then i thought about how many people die shortly after they retire, essentially because they have nothing to do.  If they find joy in "working", and they are still capable, then why should they stop?

August 4, 2021 9:53 am  #7

As noted in another thread, veteran TV producer Norman Lear has just sold an updated version of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman to a U.S. cable channel. 

Lear just turned 99 and is still wheeling and dealing.

That has to be some kind of record. 

August 4, 2021 7:21 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

As noted in another thread, veteran TV producer Norman Lear has just sold an updated version of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman to a U.S. cable channel. 

Lear just turned 99 and is still wheeling and dealing.

That has to be some kind of record. 

It does RA, knock on wood.

If there is a bright side to Twitter, it's that so many true legends of music, sports, radio and film and television that are getting up there in years, actively interact with the public. Norman Lear, Betty White, Bill Shatner, Eric Idle, Steve Martin, Cher, Dolly Parton the list is endless, well, semi endless.

I know a lot of b.y.b. members have no interest in Twitter, but it can be a fascinating environment (especially during the next year or so as we figure out how to live with the variants and covid idiots) when you find out what your heroes from your earlier years are doing, and still creating.

Also it's a good way to find great new shows, music and books. Cause it's not like your average on-air personality is given enough time these days during a break to share that kind of info with the listeners. Sigh.

August 4, 2021 7:58 pm  #9

BeatleTeunis wrote:

"I could be arguing on my own time"

August 4, 2021 10:10 pm  #10

Glen Warren wrote:

BeatleTeunis wrote:

"I could be arguing on my own time"

https://youtu.be/xpAvcGcEc0k

brilliant sketch, never gets old.

August 22, 2021 8:00 pm  #11

Cleese is about to embark on a series investigating political correctness. I can only imagine! 

Surprisingly, for a guy who masterminded the often deliberately (but hilariously) offensive Fawlty Towers, he actually supported the idea of PC-ness at first, because he thought it meant people would be kinder to each other. But of course, with everything else these days, some people took it too far and now he fears most are afraid to say anything. 

"The main thing is to try to be kind but that then becomes a sort of indulgence of the most over-sensitive people in your culture, the people who are most easily upset."

He added: "I don’t think we should organise a society around the sensibilities of the most easily upset people because then you have a very neurotic society.

"From the point of creativity, if you have to keep thinking which words you can use and which you can’t, then that will stifle creativity."

"The main thing is to realise that words depend on their context very literal-minded people think a word is a word but it isn’t," he continued.

I can't help but wonder if Fawlty Towers could ever get made today, given cancel culture. Who knows what else we'll never see because of it?

I'm not sure if this special will ever air on this side of the pond - it's being made for Britain's Channel 4. But it sounds like it might be a lot of fun.

John Cleese hits out at 'absurd' political correctness after Fawlty Towers 'cancellation' 

August 25, 2021 11:05 am  #12

While I was at CFRB I interviewed Eric Idle on two occasions.  Very funny man.

August 25, 2021 7:08 pm  #13

John D wrote:

While I was at CFRB I interviewed Eric Idle on two occasions.  Very funny man.

Interviewed Canadian comedy legends Roger and Don from Air Farce on my show, it was giddy good fun, like breathing part oxygen, part laughing gas, but never got close during my radio days to a chat with Eric or any of the Pythons so can only imagine how much of a kick it would be. Colour me envious John D.

Last edited by betaylored (August 25, 2021 7:12 pm)