sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2021 10:56 pm  #1

Norman Lear turns 99 & a classic show gets a new life

https://ew.com/tv/norman-lear-at-99-interview/

It was announced today that there's a remake of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman on the way, starring Emily Hampshire of Schitt's Creek fame.

I was a bit young to enjoy the original, tho I remember thinking the writing was before it's time as far as mainstream audiences go.

I can think of a couple of other Norman Lear works that would make excellent remakes.

July 28, 2021 8:08 am  #3

Re: Norman Lear turns 99 & a classic show gets a new life

betaylored.  I'm sorry you missed  the original.  It had a brilliant cast  and was wonderfully written.  It is now available on DVD.  $167.00 on Amazon.ca  Released through Shout Factory.    Of course, the equally funny "Fernwood Tonight"; with Martin Mull and Fred Willard, was spun off from the Hartman series.

Last edited by John D (July 28, 2021 8:17 am)

July 28, 2021 8:11 am  #4

There are some episodes available on YouTube. Here's one of them:

July 28, 2021 8:19 am  #5

RA.  Thanks for this.  Hearing the theme reminds me of the CNN special last Saturday night.  "Where Have All The Theme Songs Gone?"  Good point.  In the 60s and 70s, most shows had memorable themes.

July 28, 2021 8:21 am  #6

I wish Fernwood Tonight was available on DVD.  I forgot that Fernwood Tonight was a Summer replacement show.  For those who don't know, a full seasoned show would take the Summer off and be replaced by a Summer show.  Fernwood Tonight only ran in July-Auguat of that year.

Last edited by John D (July 28, 2021 9:26 am)

July 28, 2021 9:24 pm  #7

John D wrote:

betaylored.  I'm sorry you missed  the original.  It had a brilliant cast  and was wonderfully written.  It is now available on DVD.  $167.00 on Amazon.ca  Released through Shout Factory.    Of course, the equally funny "Fernwood Tonight"; with Martin Mull and Fred Willard, was spun off from the Hartman series.

Thanks John D, and thanks for the video RA, it's going close to the top on my to be watched list.

I'm currently working (binge watching) my way through "Grace and Frankie" on Netflix. The snappy dialogue, clever and funny plotlines, and terrific cast makes for a show that's a real hoot. The mix of grown children and their parents dealing with getting older is everything "This Is Us" 😝 isn't.

Netflix and Amazon Prime have a lot of the old shows on their lineups, Carol Burnett, Dick Van Dyck (sp?) Beverly Hillbillies etc. Maybe with the reimagining of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman coming up, one of them will be savvy enough to bring the original back along with Fernwood Tonight.🤞

July 28, 2021 10:16 pm  #8

I remember WKBW carried Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman at 11:30 right after Irv's newscast.  Irv actually had fun with it.  After he did the "and finally..." segment, he would say his goodnights and the theme music would come in and Irv would intro MH, MH hitting the post every time.