sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2021 1:21 pm  #1

Technical Question: Signal Strength Vs. Signal Quality On OTA HDTV

I've been having endless troubles with both WIVB and WNLO Buffalo since they moved to their new tower after the repack. (Channel 23, which I think used to be on the WUTV Tower, was once one of the strongest signals into Toronto of them all - now it's hit and miss, and too often, miss.)

When neither of them come in, I often try to adjust my rotor on the roof. Sometimes it will say "Signal Strength: 0" which means it's not receiving anything. I understand that.

But on other occasions, that reading will be 50 or 65. Yet I still get a black screen and a Signal Quality reading of either zero or maybe 15 if I'm lucky. When conditions are perfect, both are close to 100. 

How is it that I can get a Signal Strength above 50 but no Signal Quality with it? Shouldn't the fact that the station is actually hitting the antenna with an OK, if admittedly not perfect, strength be enough to bring some kind of quality with it? 

I'm not a techie, but I don't get how one reading can be strong but the other sometimes lists at zero. Can anyone explain that? I have an amplifier on the outside antenna tower that works pretty well, but is there any way I can improve this? 

July 28, 2021 1:52 pm  #2

Re: Technical Question: Signal Strength Vs. Signal Quality On OTA HDTV

When my parents were around, they would able to receive reliable reception on Buffalo's two weakest [for them] stations 2 and 49 with a signal strength reading of 50%  The meter would occasionally drop to the 30-35 range, when major pixelation would begin. There was still a picture, but an unwatchable one. Granted, SW Oakville, reasonably close to the lake, is much closer to the Buffalo towers than your location in northern North York.

July 28, 2021 2:09 pm  #3

Sometimes I'll check on WBBZ-TV, the low power station from Springfield, N.Y. with all those great subcarriers, It rarely comes in here, but it occasionally rates a signal strength of up to 70 - but zero signal quality. How can one be that strong and the other non-existent?  

July 28, 2021 2:45 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

How is it that I can get a Signal Strength above 50 but no Signal Quality with it? Shouldn't the fact that the station is actually hitting the antenna with an OK, if admittedly not perfect, strength be enough to bring some kind of quality with it?

Hi RA.  Welcome to ATSC1.0

One of the longtime issues with ATSC1.0 is multipath (much like FM can suffer from) because it uses 8VSB modulation.  This means you can have sufficient signal strength BUT if you also have a significant multipath (reflection) issue, it can kill the decoder.  Most receivers can deal with a degree of multiplath, but in some cases it can render a decode useless. Unfortunately, you can't tell if the issue is multipath without some test gear such as a spectrum analyzer.

Multipath can, and will, change with rain (wet buildings), movement of your antenna, or anything that causes a reflection.

Since you have a rotor, moving your antenna slightly, may solve the problem, even with reduced signal strength.

ATSC3.0 solves this problem by using a different modulation scheme (COFDM).

Good luck

July 28, 2021 3:23 pm  #5

Thanks. As thick as I am on this stuff, you actually explained it in a way I understand. The only problem is I don't want to have to buy a 3.0 set to eliminate the problem! But I guess that will come in time. 

With streaming all the rage, will ATSC 3.0 actually be popular enough to catch on? Or will we eventually see the end of over-the-air distribution as we know it before it comes to that? Never has the future of the kind of TV most of us grew up with seemed so cloudy. (Or should that be snowy? Yeah, maybe not. That was an analogue problem!)

July 28, 2021 3:51 pm  #6

You might have overloading with your amplifier. Have you tried operating without it

July 28, 2021 4:07 pm  #7

Yeah, I have tried that. I get almost nothing without it. Better to lose one or two channels than all of them! But I appreciate the suggestion. 

July 28, 2021 4:21 pm  #8

? Without an amp you should at least get all theToronto stations

July 28, 2021 4:41 pm  #9

True. I get some of them, but anything even remotely out of town (including CHCH) and anything from Buffalo disappears. Even sometimes a few of the T.O. stations go when I try it disconnected, depending on conditions. Not sure why, but I've concluded over the years that I can't be without an amp.

Even if it means I'm occasionally overdriving the DVR it's connected to. Occasionally, this happens with Global's signal off the CN Tower. Both signal strength and signal quality are at 100, but the screen stays black. A rotor adjustment usually fixes that issue. But then my Buffalo signals are affected. 

I guess there's no happy medium on this medium! 

July 28, 2021 5:05 pm  #10

RA, I presume the signal strength is the on-screen indicator on the TV or DVR device?  In my experience, there is no consistency as between manufacturers and different models.  Even two LG's of the same year - but different models will provide totally different "readings".  The only way to tell if you have a signal is with a field strength meter.  It sounds like you have a serious overload problem. On various receivers and DVR's I've used a combination of tuneable attenuator filters (very costly) and in-line attenuators.  6db attenuators have worked well on some TVs, but I've used 15 db on others.   I also installed splitters at the antenna, and although there's about 3.5 db loss, the un-amplified run from the antenna solved the problems I was having with the HDHomerun (Silicon dust) DVR.  The reality is, most of us are just too far from Colden NY and WNLO/WIVB's site - there's too much weather in-between and humidity can crush their signal.   Grand Island is not only line-of-sight but mostly over water path - literally a shot across the lake for many of us.  Final comment and I've made this here before, there's just far too much RF coming off of the CN Tower - so overload is making a mess of your amplifier.  Televes has some amps (pricey) that are getting good reviews in high-signal areas - when people are trying to receive distant (weak) signals consistently.   They can be programmed for different channels.

July 28, 2021 5:16 pm  #11

I do recall reading you on this before. I tried a different amp, but returned it when it didn't work even as well as the one I replaced. The antenna is on a splitter - one to the living room DVR (a Channel Master DVR+ made for OTA signals only and a wonderful machine), the other to another DVR+ upstairs. 

I think you're also correct - I'm just not close enough to the WIVB transmitter to get it consistently. You just never know from one day to the next if it will be there. Sometimes it's there as a show starts and then disappears or pixelates towards the end. (It always seems to happen just as the show is about to end!) Depends on the weather and more. Just something that I have to live with, unless I move closer - and that ain't happening any time soon!

But I thank all of you who responded about the reason a strong signal strength doesn't necessarily translate into a decent signal quality. Frustrating, but as Walter Cronkite used to say on the CBS affiliate I now have trouble receiving, "That's the way it is..."

July 28, 2021 5:20 pm  #12

Without some professional test gear, troubleshooting is a shot in the dark. Overloading a pre-amp is always a concern. What type of antenna do you have?  How high is it?  Is it totally in the clear? Is your pre-amp up at the antenna?  What type of cable (coax ?) are you using from the antenna?  How long is the cable?  Any splitters in the line?

July 28, 2021 5:39 pm  #13

It's an old UHF antenna that dates back to the analogue days, but it still works pretty well over all. There are some VHF crossfires (I think they're called) up there, too, but they're no longer terribly useful. The tower is about 40' high and there's a rotor that controls both. The line of sight is fairly clear, but there are some trees across the street that might interfere. 

Not sure of the cabling - it went in in 1991. There's a splitter in the living room and another off the same antenna in the upstairs bedroom. It was originally installed for analogue, but with the amp (outside, on the tower) everything worked well. 

It was pretty good, even with the switch to digital, until the repack! That's when everything changed. I've had a few antenna people up here to look at it over the years, but they did very little and charged me very much! But you can't say I didn't try. Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that it is what it is, and it's not likely to change anytime soon. 

Still, outside of WIVB and WNLO, I really can't complain. I get just about everything else 24/7, so overall I guess I'm good. 

July 28, 2021 6:23 pm  #14

I have heard that some people have had success in the GTA using the SiliconDust ATSC-3.  Although it costs around $250, it receives ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and CW extremely well - because the transmitter is on Grand Island.   If you were able to receive CW 49 (RF 16) before they went to ATSC-3, then that would be your solution.  I also believe a hard drive can be attached for recording of programs.  I have the ATSC-1 version which works well throughout the house on various TVs, Apple TV box, and Amazon Firestick(s).  It will also play back on tablets.

July 28, 2021 7:34 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

Not sure of the cabling - it went in in 1991. There's a splitter in the living room and another off the same antenna in the upstairs bedroom.

What is the route of the antenna cable?  I presume one splitter is fed off the first splitter?  If so, the signal at that point will be about 1/4 of that at the antenna (at best).  Possibly your pre-amp has multiple outputs?

If you have poor and/or long runs of coax cable (100ft - 30m) and multiple spiltters, you are probably dealing with a marginal signal at the receiver.  Throw in some multipath and/or pre-amp overload (which generates spurious signals that can interfere with the wanted signal) and you are fighting a loosing battle (that you can't see).  All is fixable, but you need to know what your doing, and be willing to spend a few $$.

Every OTA signal is different.  Not all will work 100% all the time.

Even with a well designed installation, there may not be enough signal in the air at your location for everything to work well.

Such is wireless transmission....

July 28, 2021 8:14 pm  #16

Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate your advice. I'm going to have to think about what to do next and whether it's worth the money just for two intermittent stations. But it's good to know there may be answers.

July 29, 2021 10:12 am  #17

RadioActive wrote:

With streaming all the rage, will ATSC 3.0 actually be popular enough to catch on? Or will we eventually see the end of over-the-air distribution as we know it before it comes to that?

It will hit a point 3.0 will be the standard and 1.0 will be mandated off the air (in the USA).  It's not a "will it catch on" it  will hit a point that if you want OTA, you have to upgrade or add a box.    I think in Canada, things will be different because there is less effort by the owners to care about OTA signals. We will have to see.