sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2021 9:40 am  #1

Half of office workers argue over radio choices

This is a British survey, so it's not entirely relevant to these shores as far as the choices are concerned, but I found the basic gist was something I never really thought about - disagreements over the radio station playing in various workplaces. 

It hasn't been much of an issue during lockdowns, but as people head back to their workplaces it might be a point of contention.

"A third of workers (32%) claimed that the choice of music in the office has caused arguments between staff, and one in ten people (11%) dislike the music that is played in their office.

"Looking at the demographic split for listening to music whilst working, those aged 16-24 and 45-54 (45%) state they always enjoy the music that’s played, the highest percentage out of all age groups. Whereas 19% of 55+ reveal they hardly ever enjoy the music that’s played."

I suppose the reason it never occurred to me this could be a problem is that when I was working in radio, there were only two choices about was broadcast in the workplace - our AM or FM station!

Anyway, for those who don't work in radio, is this really a big deal?

Half of office workers argue over radio choices

July 23, 2021 11:18 am  #2

Re: Half of office workers argue over radio choices

At the grocery store where I am employed, there is a radio in the area where the butchers work. It is either tuned to JAZZ91, BOOM97.3 or, if the Jays are playing an afternoon game, FAN590. After the meat cutters go home, the radio usually gets switched to 99.9 or 104.5. In the seafood department, where I work, I listen on my phone to a variety of Tune-in stations. My department is far enough way from other areas of the store that my musical choices won't bother other employees.

July 23, 2021 1:16 pm  #3

If the music being played is in customer facing areas, it's not about the employees.. It's about setting the mood for the store/shop/office/restaurant.    (not to mention, legally in these areas, you can't even play the radio anymore... The Socan police have been going door to door if they don't see a business paying.)    If it's in the back/employee only areas it becomes hard to make everyone happy I can imagine.   

July 23, 2021 9:48 pm  #4

radiokid wrote:

If the music being played is in customer facing areas, it's not about the employees.. It's about setting the mood for the store/shop/office/restaurant.    (not to mention, legally in these areas, you can't even play the radio anymore... The Socan police have been going door to door if they don't see a business paying.)    If it's in the back/employee only areas it becomes hard to make everyone happy I can imagine.   

You have to pay SOCAN fees to have the radio on? Never heard of that before. I think it's only if you select your own playlist, and it's a restaurant or similar establishment. 

July 24, 2021 11:17 am  #6

Thanks for this link.

My main takeaway is that "a SOCAN license is not required if playing regular (non-Internet) AM/FM radio for the public on four or less speakers at your place of business." Which would cover most small stores and restaurants, etc. 

July 26, 2021 12:11 am  #7

Isn't there a Toronto radio station that starts playing holi- aw heck, I'll just say it, Christmas music starting in what is it now, November...

If there was going to be a kerfuffle between office workers, or customers objecting to the music a business they frequently shopped at was playing, this irritating, unending ho-ho-horrible background noise could inspire a revolt.

July 26, 2021 7:59 am  #8

AGREED betaylored.
Wasn't there a revolt by customers at Shoppers Drug Mart a few years back when Christmas music was being played way too early? I think they actually stopped playing it and waited a few more weeks before bringing it back. 

July 26, 2021 5:58 pm  #9

zed wrote:

Wasn't there a revolt by customers at Shoppers Drug Mart a few years back when Christmas music was being played way too early? I think they actually stopped playing it and waited a few more weeks before bringing it back. 

Yes, in 2012. They started playing it November 1st:

Shoppers Drug Mart cans the Christmas music, temporarily

July 27, 2021 10:25 am  #10

Wouldnt be surprised 98.1 will start playing it before Halloween this year.