sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2021 8:39 am  #2

Re: Peter Trueman

I'm trying to remember his famous sign off catch phrase. Was it, "That's not news, but that, too, is reality?"

Something like that. Anyone recall if that was it?

July 26, 2021 8:47 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I'm trying to remember his famous sign off catch phrase. Was it, "That's not news, but that, too, is reality?"

Something like that. Anyone recall if that was it?

correct

July 26, 2021 9:54 am  #4

Global has posted an obit/tribute to their former anchor. 

I had no idea he helped set up a radio station (CJAI-FM) or that three generations of his family have worked at the network. 

Former Global News anchor Peter Trueman dies at 86

July 26, 2021 10:57 am  #5

If memory serves correctly, Peter Truman co-anchored Global news with Peter Desbarats through the 70's.  I thought they made a good team.  Peter D would later become Dean of Journalism at Western.

July 26, 2021 11:56 am  #6

The two Peters were the original anchors when Global Signed on.  They gave their news a certain gravitas and credibility.  Even as a kid, (I was quite a newsie at the time) I tuned to Global when I wanted "serious" news.

July 26, 2021 1:54 pm  #7

Trueman gave Global a lot of gravitas - I too used to tune into Global News for "serious news" at 6. I started watching in the late 70s when it was Trueman and Rae Corelli - an old-fashioned rumbled, growling, newsman. Neither of them would be pretty enough to be put on TV today. More's the shame. 

July 26, 2021 2:39 pm  #8

July 28, 2021 8:00 am  #9

I remember visiting my best friend, Bob Gannon on Howe Island just east of Kingston.  He mentioned at the time that Peter Truman lived on Amherst Island; after his retirement; or as Bob called it, "The Big Island" compared to Howe.