sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2021 11:08 am  #1

NBC Won't Add Fake Crowd Noise For Olympics. What About CBC?

Assuming it runs as expected (and I would be shocked if it were cancelled, given the billions on the line) NBC intends to run every Olympic event without fake crowd noise, as was done in some baseball broadcasts during the pandemic. That will certainly make the Games "sound" different, after organizers banned live audiences at the events due to COVID concerns. 

"The only crowd noise that viewers may hear is ambient crowd noise that venues might use to generate atmosphere for the athletes.

"With more than 300 events at the Olympics, it would be a logistical nightmare for NBC and Olympic Broadcasting Service, which provides the world feed, to layer in crowd noise, especially with each sport having its own cadence and pace."

No idea what CBC plans to do with this aural oddity, but Australian TV says it will, in fact, add some canned cheering, because that's what viewers have come to expect. 

I have to say I'm not a big fan of sweetening non-existent sound, but on the other hand, I've come to accept canned laughter in sitcoms for years with no problems, so who can say what the right thing to do might be. 

Sounds of the Games: NBC doesn’t plan on adding crowd noise

July 22, 2021 1:10 pm  #2

Re: NBC Won't Add Fake Crowd Noise For Olympics. What About CBC?

I wonder if host broadcaster OBS- The Olympic Broadcasting Service will add in some crowd noise.  But broadcasters would likely be able to remove this out of the audio regardless.

CBC certainly hasn't wasted any time with coverage.   Last night women's soccer with Canada and Japan and women's softball.  Tonight  men's and women's rowing.  Both NBC and CBC kick off official coverage tomorrow morning at 6:30am with the opening ceremonies.  Let the games (finger's crossed) begin! The opening ceremonies have been totally revamped and changed to what had been planned for last year.  

July 22, 2021 1:16 pm  #3

The AP article indicates that the Olympic Broadcasting Service, which provides the world feed, would find it too complex to add in the extra noise - not to mention deciding who gets the loudest cheers, given the athletes are from all over the world. So it's extremely unlikely they would be able to or even want to add anything, lest someone accuse them of being homers or against some other country's entrants. 

That wouldn't stop a local broadcaster from doing it, but I'm hoping the CBC won't bother. It is the way it is - and that's how it should air. 

July 22, 2021 6:28 pm  #4

I'm almost certain CBC will not use it. I would be very surprised. They don't have the on-site resources that NBC has, and therefore will use what OBS calls the "international sound" feed - which as you mentioned, will not have it. CBC adding it remotely would be too difficult and clunky in my view. 

July 22, 2021 8:23 pm  #5

I would spend up to thirty dollars to have them pipe in the vuvuzela buzz that graced the 2010 World Cup. It was a glorious thing.

July 23, 2021 6:59 am  #6

CBC began their streaming for the Olympics at 6:20am and the network coverage at 6:30.  Both TSN and Sportsnet are running the CBC coverage as of 6:30.  Adrienne Arsenault and  Scott Russell are anchoring the opening ceremonies.  NBC kicked off their TV coverage at 6:55am.  Should be an interesting games.  Most countries will only have a portion of their full teams parading in for the opening ceremonies.  So the parade of nations will likely move along quicker than normal. 

Last edited by paterson1 (July 23, 2021 7:03 am)

July 23, 2021 11:39 am  #7

I don't plan on watching any of the Olympics because they just don't interest me. When we win some medals, Fantastic! A two minute hi-lite package is all I require. Then I can get back to the Blue Jays.

July 23, 2021 7:10 pm  #8

Not a fan of the Games, either. The IOC is impossible to deal with and a horrible organization. I'm holding back a bit to avoid any lawsuits, because they're extremely litigious and they actually have people who comb websites around the world in case anyone who 's not a rights holder should put up even a frame of video.

If you watch anyone but the CBC or NBC, all you'll see for highlights are still pictures - just what you want to convey what happened during an event. Not sure what the rules are now, but they always barred stations from showing any highlights until 24 hours after the outcome - and even then, only about a minute's worth of everything overall. It's impossible to cover, since a day later, it's no longer really news. 

Finally, please tell me that the CBC won't get simsub over NBC on Canadian cable while this is going on. Both networks will be covering different events, so there's no reason to substitute one signal for another. I can't remember what they did four years ago. 

July 23, 2021 7:38 pm  #9

Well since you are not a fan of the games, guess simsub doesn't matter then RA? 
Hahaha, you can't remember what they did four years ago....I find that hard to believe, since you rattle on and whine about simsub ALL THE TIME!!  Odd how the coverage of this major event would slip your mind.   No, the CRTC, Bell, Rogers simsub police are not "forcing cancon" on your NBC affiliate with CBC coverage. And guess what...they never have!!!   But let's stoke the fires....right RA???  Hey, just in case you haven't heard...NBC has great coverage too. And TSN and Sportsnet will also have mostly different coverage than CBC.  Imagine that!!!

July 23, 2021 7:59 pm  #10

Once again you're reading more into my comment than was intended. First, I was curious about whether simsub would apply. It would seem foolish if it did, but nothing would surprise me.  Second, I don't subscribe to Canadian cable and never have. (I deliberately choose not to give a dime of my money to either Rogers or Bell, and not being a subscriber to any of their services, I don't. It's not a choice most here would make, but it's a matter of principle - something both companies sorely lack.)

So when I say I can't remember what happened, it's just that. I have no knowledge of what was done back then because I didn't see it and was curious about the answer. 

You provided it, albeit in an unnecessarily snide way, so I'm glad to know they at least don't go that far.

As for TSN and Sportsnet, I don't receive them nor do I pay for them, so I have no way of knowing what they do.

Sometimes a question is just a question. 

July 23, 2021 9:08 pm  #11

Well, I was aware that you don't have cable, and you have mentioned this many times in the past.  However much has been said and posted on here over the years about NBC coverage as compared to CBC or CTV.  I know many SOWNY members don't have cable, but many do, and almost all have watched the games on cable in the past, and like radio, flip around the dial.    You are well versed on simsub and how it works, this has come up many, many times.  "The Games" summer or winter have never been subject to simsub.   Even back in the days long ago when you did have access to cable, no simsub, and I figured you would be aware of this, especially since simsub is a bit of a bug bear for you RA! 

If the games over the years had been simulcast, would this not have come up on SOWNY??  I  am sure the comments, discussions and arguments about an event like this would have gone on for years, sort of like cancon on radio!!  You are correct, all of the networks normally are not showing the same sports or events at the same time, even more so with the time difference with Japan.  Other than the opening ceremonies this morning, and closing ceremonies, very little will be shown on CBC, NBC, NBCSN, Sportsnet, TSN at the same time. So simsub would be impossible, as it always has been for the games. 

As for my snide remarks, I thought you may have been kidding, so hence the plain, frank language and icons thrown in for good measure!  

July 24, 2021 2:43 am  #12