sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 16, 2021 5:10 pm  #1

Corus makes cuts to ET Canada

In an Internal move announced Thursday, Corus is reducing the staff count of ET Canada by about 10 positions.

Gone are mostly behind the camera personnel... Head Writer, Segment Producer, Senior Director, Editors, some technical operators, Floor Director...  and one of the on air talent...

July 16, 2021 6:48 pm  #2

Re: Corus makes cuts to ET Canada

Good.  We do not need yet another video product that goes on and on and on about every little happening involving the Kardashians, Jenners, Trump, and whoever else is all over the actual FAKE NEWS "tabloids" (Daily Mail etc.) these days.

July 16, 2021 7:51 pm  #3

Oh I think it will still go on...  now just with less peeps...  ETC (Canada's Most Watched fluff show) has a staff of about 40...   so this reduction will be 25 percent...

No word on what is driving this decision... reduced viewer ratings? or just a corporate downsizing to save salaries/benefits/pensions...

Always protected while Barb Williams was at Global and then Corus...  but kinda surprised that it took this long...

Last edited by Glen Warren (July 16, 2021 7:52 pm)

July 16, 2021 9:31 pm  #4

Glen Warren wrote:

ETC (Canada's Most Watched fluff show)

You've got to be kidding. There are actually people who watch that stuff? I always would have guessed the program had a total audience of zero.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 16, 2021 11:23 pm  #5

Glen Warren wrote:

No word on what is driving this decision... reduced viewer ratings? or just a corporate downsizing to save salaries/benefits/pensions...

If it's about doing things cheaper, just cancel ET Canada and bring back Train 48 already!! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 17, 2021 12:03 am  #6

Just cancel ET and show the test pattern, would be an improvement.

July 17, 2021 2:43 pm  #7

Like it or not it's one of the only successful shows Global has made in the last 20 years.  People love their celebrity gossip.

July 17, 2021 4:40 pm  #8

grilled.cheese wrote:

People may change their tune if Roger Ashby was featured 

Go up against Britney Spears' father?      Tough competition.

July 17, 2021 5:48 pm  #9

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Like it or not it's one of the only successful shows Global has made in the last 20 years.  People love their celebrity gossip.

Successful? You mean in the past 4 years? Or since it started? 
Don't forget about ETalk: (from 4 years ago, 15 years in a row number one)  https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press/etalk-is-canadas-most-watched-entertainment-news-show-for-the-15th-year-in-a-row/ 

Dump ET Canada. Bring back Train 48 please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 17, 2021 6:31 pm  #10

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Global has had a few other successful shows (Big Brother Canada, Private Eyes, Border Security) but the cupboard is a bit bare.  Actually with dramas such as Nurses (which NBC has STILL not cancelled or renewed for a second season). Departure, and the upcoming Family Law, Global seems to be finally delving into more dramatic original programming.  They did have a couple of winners around 2010 with dramas Bomb Girls and Combat Hospital but after initial good ratings moved both shows to poor time slots, and naturally both faded away. 

Personally I find ET Canada's hosts superior and much less annoying than the hosts on the US version that also runs on Global.  Cheryl Hickey, Carlos Bustamante and Keshia Chante, at least come across as real, more down to earth people.  The hosts on the main Entertainment Tonight I find annoying, always giggling and overly happy or dramatic in their presentation.  But hey, it is Hollywood I guess, but the hosts come across as less likeable and a little too fake, even for a gossipy schmaltzy show like Entertainment Tonight. 

July 17, 2021 6:41 pm  #11

turkeytop wrote:

I grew up in the Owen Sound area. We didn't have any TV at all until the mid 50s. Then came CKNX TV CH 8 from Wingham. 

They didn't sign on until 4:00 PM each day. From 3:30 until 4:00 they showed the test pattern. The local newspaper there carried the TV program listings for our only channel. From 3:30 PM to 4:00 PM the program they listed was "Test Pattern."

That Indian head test pattern was pretty compelling TV for a nine year old kid. Sometimes the kid from next door would come over and watch it with me.

July 17, 2021 6:46 pm  #12

turkeytop wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

I grew up in the Owen Sound area. We didn't have any TV at all until the mid 50s. Then came CKNX TV CH 8 from Wingham. 

They didn't sign on until 4:00 PM each day. From 3:30 until 4:00 they showed the test pattern. The local newspaper there carried the TV program listings for our only channel. From 3:30 PM to 4:00 PM the program they listed was "Test Pattern."

That Indian head test pattern was pretty compelling TV for a nine year old kid. Sometimes the kid from next door would come over and watch it with me.

the test pattern still sounds like a better watch.....

July 17, 2021 8:01 pm  #13

splunge wrote:

RA and I would agree....

July 20, 2021 8:54 pm  #14

Noticed a few jobs up on the ol' corus website today for ET Canada:

Producer, Editor, Online Producer and Assistant Production Manager.

I don't watch the show, so means nothing to me. I've seen some clips of the Live show they do on youtube. That Graham guy, who seems to be in charge of reading tweets, needs to get some vocal on-air presentation training, or be gone.

July 21, 2021 3:05 pm  #15

I don't think I have watched an episode of ET since when Mary Hart was a host of the show.

July 21, 2021 3:22 pm  #16

In Phase wrote:

splunge wrote:

RA and I would agree....

E.T. was and is a 40 watt light bulb in a 100 watt broadcast world.

I loved the vintage test patterns of childhood.

As an adult I also enjoyed watching the short "Interlude" bits of scenic footage they'd show on CBC and CTV very late at night, you'd get home from a party, fall asleep on the couch, waking up to the high pitch whine of the test pattern.

Last edited by betaylored (July 21, 2021 3:26 pm)

July 21, 2021 3:27 pm  #17

I picked the old (now politically incorrect I suppose) Indian head test pattern as my avatar just because it was such a throwback to earlier black and white TV times. Here's the explanation for what it was used for, from Wikipedia

July 21, 2021 3:30 pm  #18

betaylored wrote:

In Phase wrote:

splunge wrote:

RA and I would agree....

As an adult I also enjoyed watching the short "Interlude" bits of scenic footage they'd show on CBC and CTV very late at night, you'd get home from a party, fall asleep on the couch, waking up to the high pitch whine of the test pattern.

My favourite test pattern, although I wasn't born at the time it was used. 

July 21, 2021 11:28 pm  #19

mace wrote:

I don't think I have watched an episode of ET since when Mary Hart was a host of the show.

Back then it was entertainment industry news, now it's just celebrity gossip.

July 21, 2021 11:55 pm  #20

These celebrities have people on staff who are paid to keep their name in the news. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad, just get it out there.

July 22, 2021 1:39 am  #21

RadioActive wrote:

betaylored wrote:

In Phase wrote:

RA and I would agree....

Neat-o, thanks RA, that IS vintage, and before I was born as well, tho pop culture being what it is, seeing that face I could remember the Howdy Doody show chorus "It's Howdy Doody time, it's Howdy Doody time etc.", go figure...

July 22, 2021 6:15 am  #22

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Neat-o, thanks RA, that IS vintage, and before I was born as well, tho pop culture being what it is, seeing that face I could remember the Howdy Doody show chorus "It's Howdy Doody time, it's Howdy Doody time etc.", go figure...

"Neat-o" I haven't heard that term since I was a kid in the early 60's, along with "keen"

July 22, 2021 10:43 am  #23

Hey RA guess the "cancel culture" crowd will have the Big Yellow Board banned for posting the "Indian Head" test pattern.    Still love it though.  But I'm politically incorrect at the best of times.

July 23, 2021 10:09 pm  #24

mace wrote:

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

"Neat-o" I haven't heard that term since I was a kid in the early 60's, along with "keen"

seeing Howdy Doody triggered it methinks

July 23, 2021 11:49 pm  #25

betaylored wrote:

Which reminds me of the Mclean & Mclean bit about coming home from a party crashing on the couch with the TV on and waking up late at night to the opening siren from "Ironside".  Really sobers one up.