sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2021 12:49 pm  #1

Belleville FM Station Gets Power Reduction Approval

Quinte Broadcasting's CIGL-FM has received approval from the CRTC to pull its power from 50K down to 18,000 - but with a boost to the height of its antenna. Why make such a drastic change? According to the announcement, it's one that seems to be cropping up a lot these days - the cost of replacing old equipment along with some neighbourhood additions:

"The licensee stated that it must replace its aging transmission equipment and, because of the anticipated lifespan of such equipment, has been hesitant to make that investment in the present location which will soon be surrounded by expanding housing development. It is for these reasons that Quinte decided to relocate its facility to a new proposed tower just two kilometres away from the existing site."

CRTC Ruling

July 14, 2021 2:26 pm  #2

Re: Belleville FM Station Gets Power Reduction Approval

Which reminds me.  I might be looking at a condominium in Barrie just steps down from the CKVR Tower on Essa Rd (in its backyard).  Where all the development there, I wonder if its "safe" but then again, due to its height just like something like the CN Tower id say it would be.

July 14, 2021 11:11 pm  #3

markow202 wrote:

Which reminds me.  I might be looking at a condominium in Barrie just steps down from the CKVR Tower on Essa Rd (in its backyard).  Where all the development there, I wonder if its "safe" but then again, due to its height just like something like the CN Tower id say it would be.

London has a good example of a tower being surrounded by development - the tower used for CFPL TV and FM was out in the country when it was built, but became surrounded by residential development during the 1970s and 80s.

I’ve wondered before if this could be a danger in case of a disaster. And there is precedent - CKVR had its tower destroyed by an airplane colliding with it in 1976, and the CKWS-TV tower on Wolfe Island collapsed in the 1998 ice storm. I believe a tower used by multiple TV stations in Scranton, PA also collapsed in a snow storm in 2007.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (July 14, 2021 11:12 pm)

July 15, 2021 9:22 am  #4

MJ Vancouver wrote:

markow202 wrote:

London has a good example of a tower being surrounded by development - the tower used for CFPL TV and FM was out in the country when it was built, but became surrounded by residential development during the 1970s and 80s.

I’ve wondered before if this could be a danger in case of a disaster. And there is precedent - CKVR had its tower destroyed by an airplane colliding with it in 1976, and the CKWS-TV tower on Wolfe Island collapsed in the 1998 ice storm. I believe a tower used by multiple TV stations in Scranton, PA also collapsed in a snow storm in 2007.

Correct! That 2007 ice storm knocked the Scranton ABC. CBS and PBS stations off the air. The NBC affilliate was still able to broadcast its analog signal.

July 15, 2021 9:26 am  #5

Not a problem on Essa Road which is in Barrie's banana belt

July 15, 2021 10:31 am  #6

geo wrote:

Not a problem on Essa Road which is in Barrie's banana belt

What do you mean?

July 15, 2021 10:32 am  #7

I was looking at the Belleville engineering report...  Oddly because of the increase in height, they in fact should see an increase in coverage at the lower power.    It is a considerable drop in power, but also a huge increase in height that will overcome any issue caused by lowering the power.     It may not echo things perfectly after on the air, but should do what they plan.

As for the CFPL tower, as long as they keep the current land Bell owns for CFPL's Tower/studio, it should keep residences safe.    Their signal isn't going to change much due to the height and being on the tallest point in the area.  Great location for the tower.    CFPL-FM, CFHK and CHST are also on this tower, so loads would lose if they moved. 

Last edited by radiokid (July 15, 2021 10:36 am)

July 15, 2021 12:39 pm  #8

CKOT FM 101.3 Tillsonburg did this ten or so years ago. They built a new higher tower beside the old one. I think they went up an additional 300 feet. They dropped effective radiated power from 50KW to about 22KW claiming no reduction in coverage area. This would allow them to reduce transmitter electrical consumption by 50% or more. It is unlikely the cost of electricity will ever decrease, so the reduced electrical bill will pay dividends for a long time. I don't know for sure, but the saving may even eventually pay for the new tower.

July 15, 2021 1:06 pm  #9

darcyh wrote:

CKOT FM 101.3 Tillsonburg did this ten or so years ago. They built a new higher tower beside the old one. I think they went up an additional 300 feet. They dropped effective radiated power from 50KW to about 22KW claiming no reduction in coverage area. This would allow them to reduce transmitter electrical consumption by 50% or more. It is unlikely the cost of electricity will ever decrease, so the reduced electrical bill will pay dividends for a long time. I don't know for sure, but the saving may even eventually pay for the new tower.

CN Tower must have its own hydro plant then 

July 16, 2021 11:12 am  #10

Speaking of technical changes in Belleville, the CBC got an approval from the CRTC in May 2021 to change CBO-FM-1's FM frequency from 104.7 MHz to 90.3 MHz. The change is due to ongoing interference from WBBS 104.7 Fulton near Syracuse, New York. This CBC Radio One FM transmitter signed on at 104.7 about a year ago!

CRTC Decision from May 18, 2021:
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2021/2021-176.htm

Last edited by Scorpio42 (July 16, 2021 11:13 am)