sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 15, 2021 3:22 pm  #1

Weird Doctor's Office Radio Choice

I was at the dentist yesterday, and while they were cleaning my teeth, I could hear the radio station they chose to play in the background - and yes, it was CHFI, which, along with CHUM-FM is the radio equivalent of CP24 - on in just about every office you visit. Seems only fair that I was at the dentist because listening to their music mix for me is like pulling teeth!

Fast forward 24 hours. This time, I had an eye doctor's appointment. As I sat waiting my turn, they also had a radio playing in the background. But when the I.D. came on, I couldn't quite place it - "98.9 Soft Rock, The Valley's Feel Good Station."

I started wracking my brains - what's left of them - 98.9? Who the hell is that? A quick search turned up a surprise - it was KSOF, a mellow semi-oldies outlet in, of all places, Fresno, California. I'm guessing they were streaming it from somewhere.

No one else would have bothered, but it started driving me crazy. So I asked the receptionist at the front desk how they picked that particular station out of all they could have chosen. Her answer: my boss likes older music. Which didn't entirely answer my question, but they were busy in there and I didn't pursue it. 

I have to admit, though, over the years, I've heard CHFI, CHUM and even Sirius on as store and waiting room background music. But I've never heard someone in Toronto pick an obscure California radio station to have on as patients waited. I'd still love to know how and why they found that one. But it certainly was different!

I wonder if anyone else here has ever encountered some audio they weren't expecting while sitting in a waiting area. I'm not sure I'll remember, but I'm going back a year from now and will try to check to see what's on then. 

[img]https://i.iheart.com/v3/re/assets.brands/5fea676f43632b3479eff0f1?ops=gravity(%22center%22),contain(300,104)&quality=80[/img]
Oh, and by the way, the doc said my eyesight had slightly improved as I got older! He says it's actually very common. Who knew?

July 15, 2021 3:48 pm  #2

Re: Weird Doctor's Office Radio Choice

A local bar I sometimes go to has a Chicago classic rock station playing.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 15, 2021 4:03 pm  #3

Great. Another John Tesh/Delilah station. Some local personality would be nice. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 15, 2021 4:10 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

Great. Another John Tesh/Delilah station. Some local personality would be nice. 

You know, it's interesting you would say that. I sat in the waiting room for at least 30 mins. and never once did I hear a live announcer on the station, other than some pre-recorded liners. It was three hours earlier there, which meant it would have been around 8 AM Pacific time. Also never heard a single spot, despite it being radio's peak time. Odd.

July 15, 2021 4:13 pm  #5

My dentist's office always has CHYM FM on here in Kitchener, which is about the same as CHFI.  RA I am surprised you don't seem to like CHFI, and say it is like the equivalent of pulling teeth.  Just went to Soft Rock 98.9 and saw their playlist.  It looks an awful lot like CHFI to me.  Don't understand why this station is so good and FI so bad to you... to me they look very similar.
https://softrock989.iheart.com/music/recently-played/

July 15, 2021 4:16 pm  #6

CHFI is decent but for the love of god they need to stop playing Eric Carmen - Hungry eyes (daily).   Very good song but ruined.

July 15, 2021 4:31 pm  #7

markow202 wrote:

CHFI is decent but for the love of god they need to stop playing Eric Carmen - Hungry eyes (daily).   Very good song but ruined.

Hahaha, they played Hungry Eyes at 10:38 mid morning today.  Ain't "recently played" tabs on websites grand??  Always fun to see what stations are playing and when.

July 15, 2021 5:00 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

My dentist's office always has CHYM FM on here in Kitchener, which is about the same as CHFI.  RA I am surprised you don't seem to like CHFI, and say it is like the equivalent of pulling teeth.  Just went to Soft Rock 98.9 and saw their playlist.  It looks an awful lot like CHFI to me.  Don't understand why this station is so good and FI so bad to you... to me they look very similar.

Actually, if you look back on my original comment, nowhere did I say I liked what I heard on KSOF. Not really what I consider oldies and too much pabulum-type stuff for my taste. If I lived in Fresno, it wouldn't be one of my go-to stations. 

July 15, 2021 5:37 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Actually, if you look back on my original comment, nowhere did I say I liked what I heard on KSOF. Not really what I consider oldies and too much pabulum-type stuff for my taste. If I lived in Fresno, it wouldn't be one of my go-to stations. 

Ok, now it makes sense.  You were more interested where the station was from. I took when you mentioned it was different as referring to the music.  My apology.  Looks like KSOF is tied for #4 with a Spanish language station in the latest ratings for Fresno, so they are doing ok with 19 stations in the survey. KSOF is actually licensed to a small town outside of Fresno called Dinuba.   Listened to them for a bit and they had a live announcer who was decent.  The one commercial break I heard had only promos for iHeart podcasts, this would have been around 7:30 pacific time.   

July 16, 2021 8:37 am  #10

My dentist is in Oakville. They have always had their radio tuned to 102.9 Klite in Hamilton. I haven't had an appointment there since the switch to Bounce102.9. Next appointment, I will listen closely.

July 18, 2021 10:53 am  #11

Decades ago, CFNY was on satellite and there were numerous reports including one from an acquaintance of it being played in bars.   He was in LA at the time.  

My dentist has TV's mounted high on the wall that are easily viewable from the chair.   They used to run CP24 with captions but in my two visits during COVID they have CHCH which runs great old classics like Hawaii Five-O, Bewitched, Gilligan's Island and the Flying Nun.    Since they were all shot on film and appear to have been restored, they are closed captioned and the image quality is first rate.   It actually got me occasionally watching from home.