sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2021 10:10 pm  #1

The Reason John Landecker Left CFTR In 1983 & The Stn. That Never Was

I always thought the reason one time morning man John Landecker left CFTR was poor ratings. But it turns out, that's not the story he was peddling to the press when he left to go back to Chicago. Face saving or reality, either way, it's not a story I ever heard before until I came across this article from August of 1983. And it apparently wasn't easy for him to get back on the air in the Windy City, despite having a job waiting for him. 

July 13, 2021 9:41 am  #2

Re: The Reason John Landecker Left CFTR In 1983 & The Stn. That Never Was

Speaking of CFTR, it was around that same time (May 1983) that the station was involved in an incident with a Rochester, N.Y. counterpart. In another story I have to say I never heard about, it's the reason why an American station so close to the border is allowed to broadcast on what is supposed to be a Canadian clear channel frequency. WDCX remains on the air in that city at 990 AM to this day. 

July 13, 2021 11:15 am  #3

I just keep finding some revelations about this TR/Rochester dispute. According to this version of the story, the CRTC had planned to put a station at 990 AM in Niagara Falls, but this dispute put an end to that.

What might have been. 

July 14, 2021 12:09 am  #4

I was just a kid here in Rochester, but I remember what a big deal it was here when WNYR went from being the only daytimer in town to fulltime status. At the time, WNYR was the only country station in town and was a pretty significant ratings player despite being daytime-only and just 250 watts. In addition to CFTR, it was also hemmed in by WINR in Binghamton with 2500 daytime watts on 680. 

WNYR had good reason to be upset with Canada for granting CFTR's move to Mississauga and power increase. It had been on 680 since 1947, while CFTR had only been on the channel since the late 60s. And so WNYR and the FCC leaned hard on Rogers (or so I've heard) to make things right. 

WNYR actually got to move to 990 under STA in the summer of 1979. If memory serves, it turned on the 990 night signal for two nights while staying on 680 by day, and then on July 4 it went fulltime on 990. But it wasn't at a permanent site yet - instead, it had (at Rogers expense) a temporary three-tower array at the site on the west side of Rochester where it had been operating non-DA on 680. 

The 1983 affirmation of WNYR's right to stay on 990 cleared the way for Rogers to pay for a new permanent site for the 990. It went from 1000 day/250 night at the temporary site to 5000/2500 at the new six-tower site on a huge piece of land about 17 miles west of Rochester. That new DA allowed WNYR to protect the 990s in Winnipeg and Philadelphia while putting a strong east-west signal everywhere from Niagara Falls to Syracuse. (I used to hear it at night in Boston!)

Unfortunately, it was already a little too late for AM. WNYR had a few more good years, but then in 1987 WBEE hit the air with FM country on 92.5 and the audience moved over there and never came back. 990 went through several formats and owners before landing with Crawford and finding a niche doing religion. 

After WNYR left 680, my recollection is that the CFTR DA was always very tightly nulled and we never really heard the signal here. Something must have changed in the last 10 years or so, because now I can usually get CFTR here with a weak signal. Maybe all that new construction in Grimsby has messed up the pattern?

July 14, 2021 7:26 am  #5

Growing up in Oakville. I remember being able to hear the Rochester station faintly on 680 behind CFTR. I never knew about the Binghamton station on 680. Curious about the reception in Rochester of the other Toronto AM's. The only Rochester AM's I can get in the GTA are 990 and 1180.

July 14, 2021 7:51 am  #6

Thanks as always Mr. Fybush. Another side of the story I never heard before. Always interesting to learn about what happened. As it turns out, WNYR wasn't the only one inconvenienced by Rogers' rush to claim 680. Considering how much trouble it caused, I'm surprised they were allowed to do it. 

July 14, 2021 11:02 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Thanks as always Mr. Fybush. Another side of the story I never heard before. Always interesting to learn about what happened. As it turns out, WNYR wasn't the only one inconvenienced by Rogers' rush to claim 680. Considering how much trouble it caused, I'm surprised they were allowed to do it. 

Do you recall what year the above article was from?

I believe the now silent CKSL London moved from 1290 to 1410 around 1964. This opened the door to another London AM station CJOE (now CJBK) which occupies the 1290 frequency. CHLO landed at 1570.

Living in Kitchener in the 1960's I remember picking up CHLO when it was on 680. 

I realy enjoy these stories, back when AM was still the King and stations spent a lot of money pursuing better frequencies. Thanks for sharing and all the comments.

Last edited by darcyh (July 14, 2021 11:07 am)

July 14, 2021 12:43 pm  #8

My records indicate it's from July 1963, so it fits the timeline you refer to.

July 14, 2021 12:56 pm  #9

mace wrote:

Growing up in Oakville. I remember being able to hear the Rochester station faintly on 680 behind CFTR. I never knew about the Binghamton station on 680. Curious about the reception in Rochester of the other Toronto AM's. The only Rochester AM's I can get in the GTA are 990 and 1180.

740 and 860 are and have always been blowtorches over here. 530 comes in pretty well, too, thanks to being on such an open channel. CFRB is usually listenable, CHUM a little less so (especially with 20 kW next door on WYSL 1040 these days). 590 and 640 used to be completely nulled here but I think their patterns have gotten a little looser in recent decades. Same with 1430 and 1540.