sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2021 4:57 pm  #1

What's The Most Irritating Spot Currently Running On Radio?

It's hard to be too critical about the latest round of radio spots that are running non-stop - seemingly every break - on almost every radio station. On one hand, given the current state of the medium, you're happy anyone's paying the bills. On the other, the endless repetition, along with the annoying frequency of the same spots playing on every break makes them almost unbearable.

I'm talking about those horrible 1-800-GOT-JUNK come-ons with the airhead talking to the rep about "what we accumulate," the guy on the Subaru spot who howls like a werewolf through the whole thing, the Good Food BBQ ("I hope it's Good Food") clod or The Spence Diamonds starts with "C" codfish idiocy that makes you want to strangle the jerk. 

Or is it something else? 

Granted, they're all awful. But which one is the most annoying in your mind? 

What's The Most Irritating Spot Currently Running Endlessly On Radio?

June 27, 2021 5:11 pm  #2

Re: What's The Most Irritating Spot Currently Running On Radio?

I am not aware of any of these. They have clearly failed their core purpose. All who created them should feel ashamed at this incompetence.

June 27, 2021 5:48 pm  #3

I envy you. Though I usually tune out spots and go elsewhere the moment they begin, these commercials air non-stop during every single break on every single station I tune into - and they're all simply horribly written and extremely annoying. Be grateful you don't know them. 

June 27, 2021 10:40 pm  #4

I don't listen to much Canadian radio anymore other than news, so I am not familiar with any of those ads. However, there is one tv ad that makes me want to smash the guy in the face. The new Harvey's Hamburger spot "Harveh's"  I get the Canadian "eh" connection, but this guy comes off as an arrogant, condescending jackass. I have never been a fan of Harvey's burgers and this ad certainly does not make me want to purchase one.

June 27, 2021 10:44 pm  #5

Is Spence’s in Toronto doing a spot right now with a lot of French to promote Canada Day? We’re getting that in BC but it sounds like it may be a BC-specific ad. I remember the ones in Toronto in the past were God-awful.

June 28, 2021 6:55 am  #6

mace wrote:

I have never been a fan of Harvey's burgers 

A burger that doesn't wear the Ted Woloshyn seal of approval is dog food

June 28, 2021 7:06 am  #7

geo wrote:

mace wrote:

Harvey's has gone so far down hill that their Original burgers are...if lucky 10% real beef. Read the current ingredients and be amazed! Soy filler this, garbage filler that.  Their ANGUS burger is also garbage. (in taste)
Such a shame.
McDonald's please bring back YOUR Angus beef burger! It's ten times better than Harvey's any day!

*edited to say on topic: WHO CARES if it's Harveh or Harvey! JUST MAKE A BETTER BURGER ALREADY!!!! GEEZ!!!

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 28, 2021 9:14 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 28, 2021 11:02 am  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

geo wrote:

mace wrote:

Harvey's has gone so far down hill that their Original burgers are...if lucky 10% real beef. Read the current ingredients and be amazed! Soy filler this, garbage filler that.  Their ANGUS burger is also garbage. (in taste)
Such a shame.
McDonald's please bring back YOUR Angus beef burger! It's ten times better than Harvey's any day!

*edited to say on topic: WHO CARES if it's Harveh or Harvey! JUST MAKE A BETTER BURGER ALREADY!!!! GEEZ!!!

Yeah, Harvey's has gone way downhill, I agree. The second last time I had one of their burgers it was dried out. The last time I had one it was cold.

June 28, 2021 1:25 pm  #9

I thought the Subaru wolf howl commercial was brilliant!  Nice to hear some creativity!

June 28, 2021 1:27 pm  #10

Well, I guess to each his ooooooowwwwwwwwwn!

June 28, 2021 9:12 pm  #11

Spent  a fair bit time at that Harvey's location in the days when was Home of the Hot Ones. Pete the Greek, Dieter and many others. Sometimes the southbound  400, sometimes Pine Valley Drive. Somewhere in the garage is magazine from the late  '70 s included in the Toronto Star weekend edition called  The City. It had an article featuring  that Harvey's location where all the action was.The top brass at Harvey's corporate headquarters wasn't happy with that kind of publicly. In the early 80 s they began telling  anyone with a set of mag wheels to move along after new time limits were posted, and they began to enforce them. Spiro and Les were two of the guys I remember well. All a bunch of lively characters behind the counter.1050 Chum was a popular choice for the music.

June 28, 2021 10:11 pm  #12

Heard the jangly 1-877 Kars for Kids jingle coming from the radio this afternoon for the first time in a long time and it's just as grating now as it ever was 🙄😒

June 29, 2021 10:41 am  #13

Charlie wrote:

For your consideration:  The latest ad for some bank (I think) with the woman singing 'The More We Get Together The Happier We'll Be'.  Teeth-gratinging awful.  And the air conditioning repair spot, with the guy yelling his lines all the way through to be heard over the noisy AC.  An assault on the senses.

Totally agree. Both of those are breathtakingly awful. Especially the first one, which I have yet to make it the entire way through.

Here's another one: How To Talk To Your Kid About Cannabis, the one where the woman asks "GooGoo," and it plays this awful music.   

June 29, 2021 2:22 pm  #14

Terry O’Reilly’s season finale for “Under The Influence” show (Season 10, episode 25) aired last week in which he addressed many listeners’ questions and observations. It’s his usual annual format to wind up each series. He said without a doubt every year the most common query is why commercials/ads so “bad.”  He elaborates his explanation in his podcast, which is well worth a listen. Briefly he claims that job promotions within companies’ various departments often place employees into marketing, a catch-all area where they often don’t have understanding or experience. They have no strategic insights, or the appreciation of the power of creative ideas. It’s not unusual for a great concept to be watered down. That’s his take and he sure knows his stuff. It’s great radio.

Unlike like the maniacal scream that once topped of the insufferable Spence Diamonds ads.

June 29, 2021 2:30 pm  #15

There's an ad running on TSN Montreal paid for by the government of Quebec and it's not just awful, it could be triggering... a male voice actor talks down to men who are abusive to their female partners, and after listing various abusive actions tells them to stop behaving like that with the tag line saying "it's not up to her to change, it's up to you to change."

Like that would ever convince an abusive person to take responsibility for their behaviour. The Quebec government really is in another world. I'm surprised someone hasn't called for the spot to be pulled.

June 29, 2021 5:26 pm  #16

PeterY wrote:

Unlike like the maniacal scream that once topped of the insufferable Spence Diamonds ads.

WHOOOO!

June 29, 2021 5:36 pm  #17

[url=viewtopic.php?pid=47953#p47953]Today 1:30 pm[/url] [url=viewtopic.php?pid=47953#p47953]#22[/url] | [url=misc.php?report=47953]Report[/url][url=profile.php?id=896]betaylored[/url]MemberOffline Re: What's The Most Irritating Spot Currently Running On Radio?There's an ad running on TSN Montreal paid for by the government of Quebec and it's not just awful, it could be triggering... a male voice actor talks down to men who are abusive to their female partners, and after listing various abusive actions tells them to stop behaving like that with the tag line saying "it's not up to her to change, it's up to you to change." 

Like that would ever convince an abusive person to take responsibility for their behaviour. The Quebec government really is in another world. I'm surprised someone hasn't called for the spot to be pulled.

I disagree Randy. It's a problem that we all know exists and it doesn't get enough attention. 'm not sure it will change anyone's behaviour, but I do believe it brings attention to a pretty big social problem

June 29, 2021 5:50 pm  #18

betaylored wrote:

The Quebec government really is in another world.

It's not the first time they made ads to promote basic civil virtue. I recall that they made a major TV campaign to explain to drivers what road signs meant.

June 30, 2021 11:39 am  #19

I finally heard the Subaru Wolf Howl ad. Annoying as hell. I hope I never hear it again.

June 30, 2021 4:39 pm  #20

Rune wrote:

[url=viewtopic.php?pid=47953#p47953]Today 1:30 pm[/url] [url=viewtopic.php?pid=47953#p47953]#22[/url] | [url=misc.php?report=47953]Report[/url][url=profile.php?id=896]betaylored[/url]MemberOffline Re: What's The Most Irritating Spot Currently Running On Radio?There's an ad running on TSN Montreal paid for by the government of Quebec and it's not just awful, it could be triggering... a male voice actor talks down to men who are abusive to their female partners, and after listing various abusive actions tells them to stop behaving like that with the tag line saying "it's not up to her to change, it's up to you to change." 

I disagree Randy. It's a problem that we all know exists and it doesn't get enough attention. 'm not sure it will change anyone's behaviour, but I do believe it brings attention to a pretty big social problem

I agree that attention does need to be focused on the abuse. But the ad fails to address the fact that women also abuse men, and abuse happens with same sex partners.

Imagine you're a woman in an abusive relationship listening to that ad in the car or your house with your abuser also there with you hearing it. How comfortable or safe do you feel?

As an effective commercial it's a fail but as a possible lit match for the violent temper of an abusive person, it's killer.

June 30, 2021 4:43 pm  #21

Chrisphen wrote:

betaylored wrote:

The Quebec government really is in another world.

It's not the first time they made ads to promote basic civil virtue. I recall that they made a major TV campaign to explain to drivers what road signs meant.

Having lived in Quebec when you could only get a Pepsi to drink because Coke wasn't available, I'm not surprised but I just laughed out loud reading this Chrisphen.

June 30, 2021 6:06 pm  #22

grilled.cheese wrote:

👂🐛 just seeing this g.c. merci buckets! 🤯

September 16, 2021 8:15 am  #23

Those UP express "Nothing to report" ads are so annoying. 
I secretly hope those ads air when there really IS something to report. 
Way to make UP express look stupid! lol  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 16, 2021 11:05 am  #24

Any and all Subaru commercials.  They are in high rotation on Fan 590 - constant barrage it seems every inning during baseball.  Horrible ads.  

September 16, 2021 12:21 pm  #25

Any and all of the OLG ads... especially the "Dream Coach Max" spots...  on both radio and tv...

November 15, 2021 11:40 am  #26

The genesis and rebirth of Spence Diamond's ads.

Last edited by The Weed (November 15, 2021 11:41 am)

November 15, 2021 12:24 pm  #27

The Weed wrote:

The genesis and rebirth of Spence Diamond's ads.

The author of that article seems almost proud of his pusillanimous accomplishment.

November 15, 2021 1:30 pm  #28

Not radio, but TV - the CIBC ad with the screaming girl flying her airplane.

November 15, 2021 2:43 pm  #29

Had a Harveys burger a few months  back - if it wasnt for the decent fries to save me during that meal I dont know what else would have.  Brutal and boring.