sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2021 8:25 am  #1

When 640 Battled 680

There used to be a tradition in Top 40 radio where one station competing against the other would always try to go a step farther to get attention and the ears of listeners. But I don't remember anything like this. It happened when AM640 became CHOG, the last real AM Top 40 station in Toronto. At the time, CHUM had pretty much surrendered its crown and the Hog was left to compete with CFTR for whatever non-FM rock audience there still was. 

Which brings us to the day in 1990 when the late, great Tom Rivers was doing his last show on 680 as its morning man and leaving for greener pastures. It was an opportunity the people up the dial couldn't resist. What they did next is truly one of the classic "in your face" moves by a competitor looking to get noticed. I don't know if it worked, but you have to admire their chutzpah, even if it meant helping to promote another station for a few hours. 

You might say 640 kind of made it up to them three years later, when the rock stopped and 680 News was born. That's when the Hog decided to do something very rare in radio - advertise their station on a competitor's airwaves. 

Despite the article insisting it was the only time this ever happened, I remember one other famous instance - in Chicago, when WCFL abandoned rock for easy listening, and WLS placed numerous spots on the Big 10 reminding listeners that their rock and roll was at another spot on the dial. 

A rare moment in Toronto radio, almost - but not quite - forgotten.  

June 24, 2021 9:05 am  #2

Re: When 640 Battled 680

The only question: Didn't Riv continue to do PM Drive for the summer before he headed to MIX - or maybe that was just a swing shift?

June 24, 2021 10:31 am  #3

It's interesting how these two stations bucked the trend of "young people don't listen to AM radio anymore", which started to take hold around the late '80s/early '90s. (Nowadays, you could take the "AM" out that equation).

Up until then, CFTR's CHR format leaned towards a more adult-style approach from about late 1983 to about early 1989. Later in the year, when Jesse & Gene arrived at the station and then in 1990 when Tarzan Dan joined the crew, they took a more youthful, "in-your-face" approach with their "All-Hits 680 CFTR" branding. Even the station ID's were more aggressive-sounding than in previous years.

Although CFTR's ratings weren't near what they were at their peak, they still performed quite decently during their final CHR years, and AM 640 made a pretty good go of it too for a couple of years, picking up the slack when CFTR abandoned music in 1993 for all news.

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (June 24, 2021 1:03 pm)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

June 24, 2021 10:44 am  #4

Paul Jeffries wrote:

It's interesting how these two stations bucked the trend of "young people don't listen to AM radio anymore", which started to take hold around the late '80s/early '90s. (Nowadays, you could take the "AM" out that equation).

Up until then, CFTR's CHR format leaned towards a more adult-style approach from about late 1983 to about early 1989. Later in the year, when Jesse & Gene arrived at the station and then in 1990 when Tarzan Dan joined the crew, they took a more youthful, "in-your-face" approach with their "All-Hits 680 CFTR" branding. Even the station ID's were more aggressive-sounding than in previous years.

Although CFTR's ratings weren't near what they were at their peak, they still performed quite decently during their final CHR years, and AM 640 made a pretty good go of it too for a couple of years, picking up the slack when CFTR abandoned music in 1993 for all news 

PJ

Good points Paul and all very true.  One thing that both CFTR and AM 640 did well was to keep the personality in radio.  All of the jocks at both stations had lots of personality and this definitely helped with the youth and younger audience.  Tarzan Dan was one of the best anywhere and the kids loved him.  When I heard him do a phone call with the listener, he always had fun with whoever he put on the air.  Back then even though FM was playing more of the hits, you didn't get the fun announcers like on TR and AM 640, and this also prolonged their stay a little longer.  CFTR was also simulcast on FM, don't know about AM 640. 

June 24, 2021 10:48 am  #5

Grew up with 640 and 680 in my childhood years circa 1991-93 era before it all went to Hot 103 and Energy 108 type stuff.   We would flip back and forth as the forth between 640-680.  Audio quality as such, garbage but so were the portable radios back then haha.

June 24, 2021 11:09 am  #6

grilled.cheese wrote:

I recall someone having a portable radio in elementary school and it was tuned to 640 and Ace of Base's "The Sign" was playing

Thats what im talking about 

June 24, 2021 11:43 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

There used to be a tradition in Top 40 radio where one station competing against the other would always try to go a step farther to get attention and the ears of listeners. But I don't remember anything like this. It happened when AM640 became CHOG, the last real AM Top 40 station in Toronto. At the time, CHUM had pretty much surrendered its crown and the Hog was left to compete with CFTR for whatever non-FM rock audience there still was. 

Which brings us to the day in 1990 when the late, great Tom Rivers was doing his last show on 680 as its morning man and leaving for greener pastures. It was an opportunity the people up the dial couldn't resist. What they did next is truly one of the classic "in your face" moves by a competitor looking to get noticed. I don't know if it worked, but you have to admire their chutzpah, even if it meant helping to promote another station for a few hours. 

You might say 640 kind of made it up to them three years later, when the rock stopped and 680 News was born. That's when the Hog decided to do something very rare in radio - advertise their station on a competitor's airwaves. 

Despite the article insisting it was the only time this ever happened, I remember one other famous instance - in Chicago, when WCFL abandoned rock for easy listening, and WLS placed numerous spots on the Big 10 reminding listeners that their rock and roll was at another spot on the dial. 

A rare moment in Toronto radio, almost - but not quite - forgotten.  

They're called "vulture ads" and are a fairly common occurrence, especially south of the border. I recall such ads appearing on WQEW in 1998 just before they were about to switch to Disney,

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 24, 2021 11:47 am  #8

As some of you may remember, AM 640 was planning to go all-news but 680 beat them to it.

It would have been called "AM 640 - The News Beat of Toronto."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJBzleqNM_w

Last edited by Dale Patterson (June 24, 2021 11:50 am)

June 24, 2021 1:13 pm  #9

ShaneAlexander wrote:

The only question: Didn't Riv continue to do PM Drive for the summer before he headed to MIX - or maybe that was just a swing shift?

Tom Rivers was not leaving when the Hog initially announced that he is. 
CFTR informed me over the phone (at the time) that Tom is not going anywhere. 
He did leave for the mix a while later, but not on that exact day that the Hog chose to broadcast live outside the CFTR building. 

I have to admit it is interesting that AM 640 DID hire Tom Rivers to do mornings, but only after going all talk as Talk 640. 
RIP Tom we all miss you!

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 24, 2021 2:12 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 24, 2021 4:24 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

One thing that both CFTR and AM 640 did well was to keep the personality in radio.  All of the jocks at both stations had lots of personality and this definitely helped with the youth and younger audience.  Tarzan Dan was one of the best anywhere and the kids loved him.  When I heard him do a phone call with the listener, he always had fun with whoever he put on the air.  Back then even though FM was playing more of the hits, you didn't get the fun announcers like on TR and AM 640, and this also prolonged their stay a little longer.  CFTR was also simulcast on FM, don't know about AM 640. 

Magic 102 and Kiss 98five had great announcers for CFTR to compete with.  
The only reason why top 40 lasted on AM for as long as it did is because of the 49% non hit rule for FM that protected AM radio in Canada.
It's too bad CFTR was NEVER simulcast on FM. That would have been nice.

If you trap yourself to your cable at home you could listen to CFTR on Cable 92.3 FM 
and
AM 640 on 96.9 Cable FM.  
Once you leave your home there was no "FM simulcast" for the car or anywhere else...& no Smart phone to listen to on either. 
One could split their cable back then so they didn't have to keep rotating between cable in the TV and cable in their stereo, but again, it traps you to your home. NO other source, like walkman or something...

June 24, 2021 5:07 pm  #11

Yes you are correct, they weren't simulcast but carried on cable fm.  Wasn't sure about AM 640.  The non hit was not the only reason that AM remained popular for music but it was a factor.  However regardless of hit/nonhit, AM in the late 80's and early 90's was already being taken over by FM for music.  Did anyone in Toronto really listen to Magic 102 and Kiss 98 that much?  Radio people who wanted to hear the hits on FM sure, but the average listener, I don't know. As I recall their signals weren't always that great.  Out of town listenership in Toronto has never been very high. 

June 24, 2021 5:37 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

Yes you are correct, they weren't simulcast but carried on cable fm.  Wasn't sure about AM 640.  The non hit was not the only reason that AM remained popular for music but it was a factor.  However regardless of hit/nonhit, AM in the late 80's and early 90's was already being taken over by FM for music.  Did anyone in Toronto really listen to Magic 102 and Kiss 98 that much?  Radio people who wanted to hear the hits on FM sure, but the average listener, I don't know. As I recall their signals weren't always that great.  Out of town listenership in Toronto has never been very high. 

Magic 102 & WKSE were enjoyed by many who prefer music on FM in the Scarborough area, but I'm not sure about other parts of Toronto. 
I know this because I had a paper route in a bunch of apartment buildings. Back in those days collecting money (payment for paper delivery) was done door to door. Hearing various radios was not a problem. 

June 24, 2021 5:44 pm  #13

Wasnt CHUM FM also an option?  I dont remember if they were the HOT AC type format or more less pop than those but still along the same lines as of today I believe.  

June 24, 2021 5:50 pm  #14

markow202 wrote:

Wasnt CHUM FM also an option?  I dont remember if they were the HOT AC type format or more less pop than those but still along the same lines as of today I believe.  

Well, to be fair, CHUM FM did have the advantage of literally new music.
If it was Canadian, the CRTC allowed it to count as a non hit for one year. 
After that, the 49% non hit rule for FM was very strict.  

June 24, 2021 6:41 pm  #15

Radiowiz wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Well, to be fair, CHUM FM did have the advantage of literally new music.
If it was Canadian, the CRTC allowed it to count as a non hit for one year. 
After that, the 49% non hit rule for FM was very strict.  

Stations also ran a lot of the non hits later at night.  Daytime on FM stations like CHUM and CKFM were a lot more "hit-ish" than after 10pm.  I remember there was some foreground programming like "Tapestry With Charlotte O'Dell" which was syndicated and would run later in the evening.  Ottawa still has the hit/non hit thing, and the radio in that town sounds great.  They do stack more of the non hits later in the day, but to their credit the non hits come up throughout the day and the songs fit in perfect with the formats.  In some ways makes the station sound more interesting when you are playing two cuts from an artists latest release, rather than just the hit. Usually the other cut played will be the next single anyway. So lots of new music. 

June 24, 2021 11:01 pm  #16

markow202 wrote:

I believe CHUM-FM billed themselves as "Adult Rock" during that time, which was from about 1985-1995. More hits-oriented than their previous album rock format, but geared towards a more mature audience than a typical CHR station, and generally quite a bit softer than a typical hits station. Stuff like Bon Jovi and Aerosmith were considered too hard for CHUM-FM at that time.

Baby boomers appeared to be the ears that were the most attractive to radio stations and advertisers during that period. This presentation probably best describes their format during that time. 

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (June 24, 2021 11:10 pm)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

June 25, 2021 8:31 am  #17

Thanks for posting this Paul, interesting video.  So CHUM FM really became a force around 1985 with the format change, and moved to the number one position in Toronto.  They were also the highest rated station in the summer book in 1986. ahead of CFTR which for a while was the lone top 40 station, and CFRB with it's easy listening/information sound.  CHUM AM was sitting in 4th spot with 913,500 listeners and this happened right after they dropped top 40. 

June 25, 2021 9:52 am  #18

paterson1 wrote:

When I was still listening to Top 40 in the 1980's, it is the Canadian 49% not hit rule that drove me to Majic102 and KISS98.5. Living in Oakville at the time, both stations could be heard at home or in the car extremely well

June 25, 2021 11:45 am  #19

As per CHUM FM history in the Canadian History database website:1984  In September, CHUM-FM began to move away from Album Rock to Adult Contemporary. 

June 25, 2021 12:33 pm  #20

grilled.cheese wrote:

All roads lead to CHUM.

Its a good station but just wish it wasnt so bubble gum now.  Whatever works. 

Their sound quality I must say is the best ive ever heard, whatever they did.  

June 25, 2021 12:59 pm  #21

markow202 wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

All roads lead to CHUM.

Its a good station but just wish it wasnt so bubble gum now.  Whatever works. 

Their sound quality I must say is the best ive ever heard, whatever they did.  

Agree, both CHUM and Virgin have the best sound quality on FM.  CHUM isn't really an A/C station anymore.  Not even sure if CHFI is either. Maybe the definitions for adult contemporary have shifted over the years?  Always thought it was a bit odd that Bell has two Toronto stations with more or less the same format with CHUM and Virgin.

June 25, 2021 1:32 pm  #22

CHFI is very much AC; only 10-15% current, most of which would be recurrent elsewhere. Lots of gold, spanning almost 40 years, leaning on the softer side.

Same as it ever was. Definition is the same - CHFI is what that definition sounds like in 2021.

June 25, 2021 3:13 pm  #23

mace wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

When I was still listening to Top 40 in the 1980's, it is the Canadian 49% not hit rule that drove me to Majic102 and KISS98.5. Living in Oakville at the time, both stations could be heard at home or in the car extremely well

I also stopped listening to most Canadian FMs in the '80s because of the silly non-hit rule and the overabundance of Can-Con burn-outs. Typical bureaucratic overthink - making the emerging FMs sound worse just to prop up AM for a few years. I listened to WPHD, WBUF and WHTT in the '80s with FM 108 the only Canadian outlet I could stomach.

June 25, 2021 3:57 pm  #24

Dale Patterson wrote:

mace wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I also stopped listening to most Canadian FMs in the '80s because of the silly non-hit rule and the overabundance of Can-Con burn-outs. Typical bureaucratic overthink - making the emerging FMs sound worse just to prop up AM for a few years. I listened to WPHD, WBUF and WHTT in the '80s with FM 108 the only Canadian outlet I could stomach.

Well we can quibble about the hit/nonhit forever.  I never minded it, and the fact that it tended to be "radio people" that had an issue with it, and not the general public speaks for itself.  It was during this split that FM took over AM radio in the ratings regardless, so it didn't really harm FM from a competitive point of view.  I know radio folks won't agree with that but the fact is 95% of the listeners weren't aware of the regulation anyway and likely didn't care.  Burn out of cancon falls more on the station and programming than anything else in my opinion.  Don't think the intention of the regulation was to make FM sound worse than AM.  Never heard that argument before!  Regs don't make stations sound good or bad, programming does!  Regulations often are just an excuse to do nothing, and as we know, lots of radio folks love to do nothing... other than complain... 

June 25, 2021 5:19 pm  #25

CAN Con is hard to avoid these days when the most popular acts are coming from Canada.  

June 25, 2021 9:01 pm  #26

paterson1 wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

mace wrote:

Well we can quibble about the hit/nonhit forever.  I never minded it, and the fact that it tended to be "radio people" that had an issue with it, and not the general public speaks for itself.  It was during this split that FM took over AM radio in the ratings regardless, so it didn't really harm FM from a competitive point of view.  I know radio folks won't agree with that but the fact is 95% of the listeners weren't aware of the regulation anyway and likely didn't care.  Burn out of cancon falls more on the station and programming than anything else in my opinion.  Don't think the intention of the regulation was to make FM sound worse than AM.  Never heard that argument before!  Regs don't make stations sound good or bad, programming does!  Regulations often are just an excuse to do nothing, and as we know, lots of radio folks love to do nothing... other than complain... 

>> Don't think the intention of the regulation was to make FM sound worse than AM.

But it did. That was the whole point of it, to keep listeners on AM rather than FM. You're right, a good programmer could overcome that. But why should they have to?

Add to that the Foreground and Mosiac rules and you have a perfect example of over-regulation.

Luckily the U.S. stations (including satellite) come in loud and clear and the gov't can't do a thing about it.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (June 25, 2021 9:22 pm)

June 25, 2021 9:26 pm  #27

Remember when CKFM was found to be playing 67 per cent hits. They were punished for this atrocity (giving the listeners what they wanted to hear) by being not allowed to run commercials for three days. So they turned it into a promotion - three days of commercial-free music.

June 26, 2021 1:21 pm  #28

As always good points Dale.  However to say that FM sounded worse than AM is kind of subjective.  1985/86 CHUM FM was leading the ratings, so they couldn't have sounded that bad since they were beating the AM competition who were playing the hits.  CHUM FM was also playing the hits, and they were playing album cuts that most people would be familiar with.  The Eagles, Bryan Adams, Supertramp, U2, Culture Club, Celine Dion, Phil Collins etc..etc. all had albums that sold over a million copies in Canada and people would be familiar with most if not all of the music from these albums. 

When CHUM, CKFM, CFNY, CHFI played another cut from albums like these, it wasn't necessary a bad thing.  And they would choose the album cuts carefully.  This was also true with new material, and stations would not only play the hit, but also played another cut, which usually became the second hit from the album. 

CKFM's punishment for playing too many hits seems kind of silly, however they were likely "outed" by a competitor since it had been happening for a while. And that competitor correctly expected the CRTC to do something about it.  Was CKFM giving listeners what they wanted?  Maybe, but they were also doing it because they were somewhat an "also ran" in the ratings.  They were smart to make a promotion out of the slap on the wrist from the CRTC.  And CKFM was even able to pick the days that they ran commercial free, giving them lots of time to promote this special event to their audience.  They made lemonade out of lemons, brilliant move!

It is interesting too that border and opportunistic US stations that have existed over the years have not been successful.  Stations in small US border towns for years have come and gone to try and skim off revenue from the larger Canadian market to the north.    Over the years stations across from Kingston, Brockville, Cornwall, Montreal even Detroit have tried to play the "don't let the government tell you what to listen to" game but have largely failed or had little impact. In the case of Detroit, it was because too many in Michigan were listening to Windsor's 89X.  

These stations have always played the hits, didn't need to play any cancon and in the case of WYUL Chateaugay NY bills itself as a Montreal station and even have some weather forecasts and commercials in French.  But the music and announcers are all English.   They derive most of their revenue from advertisers in Montreal, Cornwall and have tried to crack Ottawa.  That's fine and fair game, but fortunately these stations have had spotty success over the years.  Many of the stations were owned by a Canadian, and run by his company Martz Communications.   Over the years most of these stations were closed or sold with the new owners focusing more on the local US market.   WYUL has been the most successful of this group, but it's impact in Montreal, Cornwall and Ottawa and area has been interesting but also limited. 

Last edited by paterson1 (June 26, 2021 1:28 pm)

June 26, 2021 2:52 pm  #29

I recall hearing a "special" weekend on FM108 when they played songs that didn't make the top 40. I don't remember if I eventually heard why they did this, but I certainly wonder if it was also because they had gotten into trouble with the CRTC over the non-hit requirement. I do remember becoming aware that there were certain songs that they would play that had just missed the top 40, been hits elsewhere, etc. to help meet the non-hit requirement. 

June 26, 2021 4:39 pm  #30

Lorne wrote:

I recall hearing a "special" weekend on FM108 when they played songs that didn't make the top 40. I don't remember if I eventually heard why they did this, but I certainly wonder if it was also because they had gotten into trouble with the CRTC over the non-hit requirement. I do remember becoming aware that there were certain songs that they would play that had just missed the top 40, been hits elsewhere, etc. to help meet the non-hit requirement. 

Wasn't FM 108 trying to be more oldies driven? If so, that rules out the opportunity to play new Canadian music for a full year before counting it as hit music. 
They were very smart, I think, for finding a creative way to work with the 49% non hit rule that existed back then. 

...and B-sides, wasn't it...lol, never mind I just threw this sentence in on purpose because I couldn't resist.