sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2021 11:45 pm  #1

Best music app?

I gave Stingray a try for a week. They are not on firestick or roku. I am giving Amazon Unlimited a test run. I am enjoying it so far. 

June 16, 2021 7:31 pm  #2

Re: Best music app?

Stingray is my #1 choice.  There are so many choices on the app.

June 16, 2021 8:14 pm  #3

Spotify and Apple music are the big ones in this arena, and for good reason. I prefer Spotify, but both have advantages. They're both on every possible platform, of course.

After that, I'm partial to Sirius/XM, as I love human-programmed (and often hosted) formats that aren't quite viable for FM radio. Their app also provides many stations and playlists not available on their radios. To me, they're the best of both worlds.

June 17, 2021 10:50 am  #4

I currently went with Apple Music, especially with their launch of lossless audio (cd quality).  Spotify has a better discovery of music however the sound quality apple always had when using their devices and their music app was always top notch and even better now. 

June 17, 2021 11:23 am  #5

Has anyone tried YouTube Music?  I believe it is a paid or subscription level service...

just curious....

June 17, 2021 11:43 am  #6

I had Google PlayMusic, loved it.. paid subscription... got converted to YouTube music when Google killed the old app.  Hate it.  Only reason I'm keeping it is because of my old grandfathered rate

June 17, 2021 12:46 pm  #7

I use Stingray which is included with Rogers cable, Amazon  (as I have Amazon Prime). and Sirius XM ( as I have this in my car).. My preferred app is Stingray.

June 17, 2021 7:16 pm  #8

markow202 wrote:

I currently went with Apple Music, especially with their launch of lossless audio (cd quality).  Spotify has a better discovery of music however the sound quality apple always had when using their devices and their music app was always top notch and even better now. 

Absolutely on the sound quality for Apple, and it has me considering switching. Even when you set Spotify to the highest quality -- some tracks are just badly sourced in the first place. On the other hand, I'm quite addicted to their discovery features. 

June 18, 2021 10:08 am  #9

I have always used Spotify. However, when I purchased my new Samsung S21 [Rogers gave me a deal I really couldn't refuse] part of the deal was six months of free Apple Music. Jury is still out on which I prefer.

June 19, 2021 3:44 am  #10

I have many Gigs of music, ranging from the 40s to now.  First I used Winamp, then iTunes for playlist management and playback.  I got a couple of Google Home devices (now branded as Google Nest.)  Once I realized that I could say "ok Google Play whatever" and it would, I needed to have it.  I was able to play iTunes through just one of the devices using Bluetooth and I could say "Next" and "Previous" or "Volume Up".   and what not.  Anyhow, it was kind of lame, so I thought I'd give YouTube Music a try, it worked ok but the playlist management tools were beyond awful.  One good feature was that you could upload your own songs and I'd assume any type of audio.  Anyhow, I switched to Spotify and I've been very happy with it, there has been the odd glitch, but I think that's how it is with any streaming services.  It works really well with my Google Home (Nest) stuff.

June 19, 2021 7:20 am  #11

I have a Spottily account but don't use it much. The one service I do use a lot is You Tube.

The thing about You Tube is that you can find so much on it from obscure garage rock to psyche and on and on.

One example. I was a big country rock fan. Groups like Buffalo Springfield, the Byrds, Poco and off shoots. When I was young I use to read about groups where these artists got their start but had no way of hearing them. Groups like Boenzee Cryque ( included members of Poco), Shiloh ( with Don Henley), Longbranch  Pennywhistle ( with Glen Frey and JD Souther).  Now I can hear them all on You Tube.

Another example British Pub Rock from the 70's. The only two groups that I had albums by in that category were Brinsley Schwarz ( with Nick Lowe) and Ducks Deluxe. This was somewhat of a roots, folk, country genre. I use used to read about groups like Chili Willy and The Red Hots, Eggs Over Easy and Help Yourself but their albums were never released here and so I never got to hear them. Although I remember David Pritchard playing Help Yourself once. Now I can hear them all on You Tube.

Brit pub rock was never popular in North America. Although Brinsley Schwarz were played opn CHUM FM and some of the Buffalo stations. A group called Dr Feelgood was part of the movement I think and they got some air play. The sole North American top 40 hit from the movement is by way of Ace and the song How Long ( with Paul Carrack).

Anyway below is a random sampling of some of these bands. I did not sample the songs posted so they may not be the best selection from the groups.

Finally Green Eyed Woman by the New Breed with Timothy B Schmidt who was in Poco and The Eagles. This made the top 40 in Denver I think:

Last edited by Fitz (June 19, 2021 10:19 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/