sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 11, 2021 1:29 pm  #1

Mike Stafford Tries To Explain The Comments That Got Him Fired

The Vice story on the firing of now former GNR640 morning host Mike Stafford has been updated to include a statement from the man himself, in which he tries to elaborate on what the comments that got him turfed were really about. 

So I'm curious - do you buy his explanation? Does it mitigate what he did? 

Global News Radio Host Leaves Company After Making Racist Slur in Work Chat Group

June 11, 2021 3:10 pm  #2

Re: Mike Stafford Tries To Explain The Comments That Got Him Fired

I met Mike while working for CKMW back in the 83 Kennedy Road era and have followed his career since then. In my opinion ,his best tenure was the mid morning slot on 640. Too bad he is where he is now , I certainly don't condone the reason for the dismissal , i'm sure if he could change the word he would. After a time of reflection ,hopefully he lands a new on air position in the GTA. Everyone should get forgiveness , on some scale at least. If it was Stafford versus Oakley  , it would be a constant back and forth flip of station on my listening device. 

June 11, 2021 3:49 pm  #3

Mike has crossed over in this PC world more than once, he's of the same generation as I am and I would probably give him the benefit of the doubt... only because he has a super fast wit and apparently a bit of lack of control when making a joke.  I believe he was trying to be funny and it burned him,  Poor judgement on the timing and the fact he was on a company video meeting.
No company can tolerate this behaviour anymore, but I don't believe it was on purpose or malicious.  Too bad he said what he said.  Loss to the airwaves IMHO. 

June 11, 2021 3:51 pm  #4

Important to remember that what he said on both occasions was never on air. That might accrue to his favour once the furor dies down and he lays low for a while. Maybe he could conceivably come back - but stay off social media!

June 11, 2021 5:08 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Important to remember that what he said on both occasions was never on air. That might accrue to his favour once the furor dies down and he lays low for a while. Maybe he could conceivably come back - but stay off social media!

Corporations don't care anymore if it was said on air, in a memo, to a friend, in an email.. if someone gets wind of it and complains.. cya!!!

June 11, 2021 5:17 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Tell that to Wendy Mesley. 

What happened to context?

I'm reminded of the stoning scene in Monty Python's Life of Brian.

June 11, 2021 7:33 pm  #7

The story has finally hit the Toronto Sun. No new details, but I'm guessing more will see it there than on VICE. 

AM640 radio show host gone after using racial slur to mock Doug Ford

June 11, 2021 10:18 pm  #8

He's not an idiot and he's not unaware of what's happening in media and society. Stafford would have known about the furor among racialized staff at CBC when Wendy Mesley used the "n-word" off air, in a meeting, even though she did so in quotes - in her case referring to a book title and he would have known about other incidents over the past few years when media figures were fired or reprimanded for similar incidents- regardless of whether they uttered the term on their own or were quoting someone. 

The lines have shifted. It was acceptable 15 or 20 years ago to utter or print a racial ephitet if you were quoting a third party (or putting it in someone else's mouth). Now it's not. Regardless of whether that's right or wrong he must have known that in today's media world, it's a red line. But he thought that didn't apply to him, I guess, and he was wrong. 

Last edited by Hansa (June 11, 2021 10:18 pm)

June 11, 2021 10:42 pm  #9

grilled.cheese wrote:

pinto wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Corporations don't care anymore if it was said on air, in a memo, to a friend, in an email.. if someone gets wind of it and complains.. cya!!!

Unfortunately that is very true. 

The current sport of humans to dissect someone else's words, parse every possible meaning of those words, clutch their pearls and then get all Shirley Jackson's The Lottery on that someone because they themselves haven't anything else to do is so 2021 tiresome.

McCarthyism is fairly distant history. McSnarkyism which is how I refer to public judging and cancel culture, is alive and well and fugly.

Mike Stafford has a sharp cutting wit, and I accept his explanation.

Count me in as one of the many, many people who will definitely be listening to him wherever he goes, terrestrial radio, podcasting...

Leaving Corus might be the best thing to happen to him. I don't think he was a comfortable natural fit for the narrow dry morning show format even though he did a solid job and was entertaining and informative.

Thanks Mr. Stafford for all the years and thousands of hours of radio you gave us at am640, can't wait to hear what you do next.

👏👏👏📻🥂🎙️🎧

Last edited by betaylored (June 11, 2021 10:43 pm)

June 11, 2021 11:39 pm  #10

Betaylored, you said it so much better than I ever could.  You summed up my feelings as well.

Thank you.

June 12, 2021 12:33 am  #11

Done with Toronto radio  - nothing but "all pandemic, all the time"
There is NOTHING, NO ONE, NO personality worth tuning in for on Canadian airwaves (maybe Roy on the weekend).  No where to turn for synopsis of Ontario news, Canadian news - g-whiz any news
Andrew Lawton does a good podcast but infrequent
Poor Oakley is tip-toeing - almost neutered in this environment - hell his knuckles must still be hurting after the 'Conrad' incident, and Steyn is too racy I guess
Where is the irreverent Bill Carroll from the early 2000's
Canadian pablum radio - tepid and bland

Howie Carr - conservative, humorist and author - entertaining show 3-6p New England radio

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane

June 12, 2021 10:17 am  #12

Thank you, Hansa.  Well put.

Hansa wrote:

He's not an idiot and he's not unaware of what's happening in media and society. Stafford would have known about the furor among racialized staff at CBC when Wendy Mesley used the "n-word" off air, in a meeting, even though she did so in quotes - in her case referring to a book title and he would have known about other incidents over the past few years when media figures were fired or reprimanded for similar incidents- regardless of whether they uttered the term on their own or were quoting someone. 

The lines have shifted. It was acceptable 15 or 20 years ago to utter or print a racial ephitet if you were quoting a third party (or putting it in someone else's mouth). Now it's not. Regardless of whether that's right or wrong he must have known that in today's media world, it's a red line. But he thought that didn't apply to him, I guess, and he was wrong. 

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

June 12, 2021 7:18 pm  #13

echomaster wrote:

Done with Toronto radio  - nothing but "all pandemic, all the time"
There is NOTHING, NO ONE, NO personality worth tuning in for on Canadian airwaves (maybe Roy on the weekend).  No where to turn for synopsis of Ontario news, Canadian news - g-whiz any news
Andrew Lawton does a good podcast but infrequent
Poor Oakley is tip-toeing - almost neutered in this environment - hell his knuckles must still be hurting after the 'Conrad' incident, and Steyn is too racy I guess
Where is the irreverent Bill Carroll from the early 2000's
Canadian pablum radio - tepid and bland

Howie Carr - conservative, humorist and author - entertaining show 3-6p New England radio

Carrroll is on Ottawa 580 CFRA until 10am I believe. I listen often. Also find Rob Snow is excellent on CityNews Ottawa from 9am-12. Call in from 10-11.

June 12, 2021 10:37 pm  #14

Roy Green and Greg Brady are two examples of excellence.

June 13, 2021 12:01 pm  #15

Peter the K wrote:

Betaylored, you said it so much better than I ever could.  You summed up my feelings as well.

Thank you.

Dear Peter the K

I'd been reading people's thoughts about Stafford on and off for a few days in spurts before eventually popping back on and writing what I did. I've just reread what everyone had to say. It's obvious to me in hindsight your efficient asute words about Wendy and Python influenced what I wrote.

I appreciate your kind words, and I thank you for the subliminal inspiration.

Betaylored

June 13, 2021 7:08 pm  #16

These are not easy situations. I worked with Mike at a couple of stations and I respect his talent. As I see it there are several issues. First, we as a society have gone too far with this cancel culture. There should be some pushback at some point. Having said that, p__i is a word you just can't use in any capacity at any time, and Mike has to know that. It's fine to be edgy, but you can't be stupid. And finally, although this might not be the case for it, I'm all for the first company that refuses to buckle to pressure from the woke crowd. 

June 13, 2021 7:27 pm  #17

Rune wrote:

...First, we as a society have gone too far with this cancel culture. There should be some pushback at some point.

I love it! Couldn't wait until the vacuous talk radio talking points started to vomit their way into the thread. Bravo!

Wasn't God Emperor Stafford banned from this board? Or perhaps previous iterations of it? For being 'too edgy'?

June 14, 2021 11:46 am  #18

Talk radio talking points? What the hell are you talking about? 

June 14, 2021 7:36 pm  #19

Rune wrote:

Talk radio talking points? What the hell are you talking about? 

Many apologies. I meant 'Bullshit talk radio catchphrases'. I regret the error.

Last edited by Chrisphen (June 14, 2021 7:39 pm)

June 15, 2021 3:48 am  #20

in my opinion, if what was reported is true, he didn't cross the line ... since (these days) there isn't a line ...just one big mine field deployed by mind readers. 

June 15, 2021 3:43 pm  #21

the original hank wrote:

in my opinion, if what was reported is true, he didn't cross the line ... since (these days) there isn't a line ...just one big mine field deployed by mind readers. 

Hypothetically then, what if it had been the N word and not the P word?

June 15, 2021 4:10 pm  #22

Rune wrote:

These are not easy situations. I worked with Mike at a couple of stations and I respect his talent. As I see it there are several issues. First, we as a society have gone too far with this cancel culture. There should be some pushback at some point. Having said that, p__i is a word you just can't use in any capacity at any time, and Mike has to know that. It's fine to be edgy, but you can't be stupid. And finally, although this might not be the case for it, I'm all for the first company that refuses to buckle to pressure from the woke crowd. 

What about a company that stands up for its own employees when they are subjected to a racial slur against them? Global has been in trouble before for not backing up its minority employees - eg  Stafford's former co-host, Supriya Dwivedi. This isn't about saying things on the air - it wasn't on the air, the "woke" crowd wouldn't have even known about it. It's about something he said internally, using a word that was offensive to Global's own South Asian employees. Don't they deserve some consideration? 

June 15, 2021 5:50 pm  #23

What if had been a "regular" employee who made the comment?

Sorry, Mr. Stafford doesn't get a pass.  Corus not only has an obligation to disapprove such comments, but to be seen doing so.

It's 2021 and we should all know better.  Mr. Stafford should know better.

June 17, 2021 6:55 pm  #24

June 20, 2021 10:57 pm  #25

danielconstantine13 wrote:

Roy Green and Greg Brady are two examples of excellence.

meh!

~ John McClane

June 21, 2021 11:47 am  #26

Chrisphen wrote:

Canadaland chimes in.

Slip to 28:30 if you want to hear the Stafford  bit.

The hosts don’t really seem to get radio or even the term Shock Jock. They keep using the term “edgy talk” as both Stafford’s style and 640’s format. There’s nobody at 640 or any Toronto talk station doing especially edgy talk - part of that being a commitment to “news” radio. They also surmise Stanford was hired for his edginess. Seriously. They throw in a reference to Danielle Smith who was fired/resigned from one of Corus’ western talk stations. She wasn’t fired (or resigned) for being edgy. She claims she was being silenced by a woke mob. Apparently upset she couldn’t spread misinformation without getting called out.  Not edgy. Just pathetic.

Last edited by Holliday (June 21, 2021 11:56 am)

June 21, 2021 12:09 pm  #27

Edgy? What the duck is edgy?  As a listener I want dialogue with conviction, forthright opinions, no 'couching' of words - hey even some yelling.  I also want facts as best as can be ascertained ie. more than 2 different sources so the 'shock jock' should be well-read or informed.  I listened to a great podcast by 2 profound thinkers and word-smiths - Jordan B Peterson with Rex Murphy - both lamenting the degradation of Canadian society (and western society in general).  This is evidenced with the daily pablum on Canadian 'big' radio - no real call for our freedoms or liberties against our politicians demands...too many 'frady-cats

~ John McClane

June 21, 2021 12:25 pm  #28

echomaster wrote:

2 profound thinkers and word-smiths - Jordan B Peterson with Rex Murphy

This is where you lost me.

June 21, 2021 12:50 pm  #29

Sorry I lost you - speaks volumes  

~ John McClane

June 21, 2021 12:51 pm  #30

echomaster wrote:

Sorry I lost you - speaks volumes  

Yes, yes it does..