sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2021 3:14 pm  #1

Another CFRB Castoff Turns Up On 640

It's happened again - another former CFRB show host has surfaced on rival GNR640 - and has taken his advertising time with him. Yonah Budd had been doing a weekly Saturday night show on 1010 called "Straight Talk Live." The addictions counsellor did a sort of Mark Elliott-sequel to People Helping People. 

But the show disappeared around the time of the Bell cuts a few months ago, and so did most of his spots for The Farm, a rehab centre he runs. A few days ago, I heard a commercial for his services featuring his voice on GNR640, along with an announcement that he's hosting his own weekly show on the station. Apparently, "Road To Recovery" has been on the air there since May. 

640 has certainly benefitted from the Bell bloodbath of 2021. In addition to Budd, they've welcomed Dave Woodard, Dave Bradley and Claude Feig into the newsroom, among others. Both have significantly improved the station's news presence in my opinion, while 'RB, once able to boast its slogan as "Ontario's Authoritative News Voice," will likely never be able to make that claim again.

June 9, 2021 7:05 pm  #2

Re: Another CFRB Castoff Turns Up On 640

It's really sad Mark wasn't picked up by 640 or even by a Hamilton or St. Catharines station (given that he lived in Niagara) after CFRB dropped him. He deserved better. 

June 10, 2021 11:11 am  #3

Turns out this show airs on Saturday at 10:00 p.m. That information appears in tiny print on the top right on the show's page on the website. The show is nowhere to be found on the 640 schedule page, however.

June 10, 2021 11:19 am  #4

eladb wrote:

Turns out this show airs on Saturday at 10:00 p.m. That information appears in tiny print on the top right on the show's page on the website. The show is nowhere to be found on the 640 schedule page, however.

That doesn't surprise me. I believe it's a paid time show and thus isn't likely to be given a lot of prominence.