sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 8, 2021 3:41 pm  #1

City TV Bringing Back "Canada's Got Talent"

It was a pretty sizeable flop the last time they tried it, but times have changed and the powers-that-be at Rogers think a Canuck version of "America's Got Talent" could be a hit this time around. There's certainly no shortage of talent in this country. But for whatever reason, the show fizzled out when it last aired several years ago. 

The announcement was part of the Rogers Upfront, which revealed City's primetime programming for next season. Not very inspiring overall, with more Law & Order and Chicago nights upcoming, and oddly, endless reruns of an already cancelled American sitcom.

Rogers to try again with Canada’s Got Talent on Citytv

June 8, 2021 5:12 pm  #2

Re: City TV Bringing Back "Canada's Got Talent"

What were the ratings for Canada's got Talent?
I thought it wasn't as much of a ratings issue as it was a true cost issue. Fees for rights, etc plus other expenses-finding the right Judges at whatever wage to do it.
I don't doubt that Martin Short didn't do it for pennies.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 8, 2021 6:17 pm  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

What were the ratings for Canada's got Talent?
I thought it wasn't as much of a ratings issue as it was a true cost issue. Fees for rights, etc plus other expenses-finding the right Judges at whatever wage to do it.
I don't doubt that Martin Short didn't do it for pennies.  

You are correct, Canada's Got Talent started off with great ratings, with almost 1.5 million for the first show and around 1 million for about the first 7 or 8 episodes. Those are great numbers for a small network like City.   However ratings softened quite a bit for the remaining 22 episodes.  This time they are only shooting 9 episodes and from Niagara Falls which is interesting. 

Also noticed that Hudson & Rex, City's scripted drama/comedy/crime/dog show set in Newfoundland is back for a 4th season.  This program at times has decent ratings, but also is not consistent.  Good on City for giving the program time to grow.  Another family program that is set in Canada and sold to over 100 countries around the world.

Sunday nights City will have lots of cancon with Bachelor in Canada Paradise and a live Paradise After Show.  Should be interesting to see how this works out.  City was the only Canadian network to see a ratings increase during the past year during COVID, which is something they are rightly promoting.  Hockey ratings on Saturday have been improving.

June 9, 2021 8:35 am  #4

Found this from 2016. 
It's Howie Mandell's opinion on why Canada's got Talent failed.
"The judges were too nice..." 
https://popgoesthenews.com/2016/07/29/agt-judge-howie-mandel-reveals-why-canadas-got-talent-flopped/
(I wonder if there will be one mean judge this time round, lol) 

June 9, 2021 9:33 am  #5

Wednesday and Thursday are complete NBC simsubs. Once again, I will fire up the PVR and record the primetime lineups on KING.

June 9, 2021 10:57 pm  #6

mace wrote:

Wednesday and Thursday are complete NBC simsubs. Once again, I will fire up the PVR and record the primetime lineups on KING.

Great idea! I don't blame you. Thankfully there is no sim sub for the Seattle stations. 

October 26, 2021 10:45 pm  #7

The judges will be Howie Mandel, youtuber Lilly Singh, rapper Kardinal Offishall, and wrestling star Trish Stratus. Country singer Lindsey Ell will host.

October 28, 2021 3:21 am  #8

torontostan wrote:

Only one I know from that list is Howie Mandel and Lilly from her failed NBC show. Whatever happened to Simon Cowell? They had him in the commercials this summer. 

I think he got tangled up in the idea of a LIVE America's got talent Las Vegas while production of Canada's got talent is happening at the same time.