sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 4, 2021 9:27 am  #1


680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

I have to admit, given all the consolidation of branding that's taking place everywhere, I wondered when this would happen. Now it has.  

Rogers rebrands 680 NEWS, other Canadian radio stations as CityNews

This makes sense, given Bell's endless CTV tie-ins on CFRB and what is now known as Global News Radio 640. I wonder why Rogers waited so long to put the two together, especially since they've been using City TV reporter audio for some time now on 680 - including their CityNews sign-off.

Interesting that they're also going to be consolidating all their websites into one big entry portal, where you'll have to choose your market or local station.

Apparently, the change won't be fully implemented until the Fall. 

 

June 4, 2021 9:29 am  #2


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

Ottawa was kinda ahead of the curve on this one; they rebranded in December of last year as CityNews(they also added simulcasting on 101.1 FM, displacing the country format that was on there).

 

June 4, 2021 9:33 am  #3


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

And that's my major issue with this story. It claims when 1310News in Ottawa started using the CityNews moniker, their numbers went up.

"Rogers says the move had a positive effect in the local market, pointing to a 31 percent increase in audience digital listening year-over-year as well as a 37 percent increase in “first preference” choice by local listeners."

I'm not sure what the reason behind the cited increase was, if indeed it happened as stated. But I really doubt a name change was responsible. More likely interest in COVID and other breaking stories would account for it. Or the availability on FM.

I've heard this kind of ridiculous claim before. I once had the chief graphic designer at City TV tell me that when they changed the set, the ratings went up. Not sure what newscasts you watch, but how often do you tune in because you like the background?

Exactly. 

     Thread Starter
 

June 4, 2021 10:22 am  #4


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

660 News Calgary and News 1130 Vancouver had their websites merged with the local Citytv station in their market a few years before Citynews 1310 Ottawa began (domains were registered in 2011). They've been on 660Citynews.com and Citynews1130.com for a while, I figured this official rebrand was on its way at osme point. 

 

June 4, 2021 10:33 am  #5


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

RadioActive wrote:

I've heard this kind of ridiculous claim before. I once had the chief graphic designer at City TV tell me that when they changed the set, the ratings went up. Not sure what newscasts you watch, but how often do you tune in because you like the background?

Exactly. 

And that's the thing. Change nothing and the ratings will also go up (or down)
 


 
 

June 4, 2021 11:17 am  #6


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

That sucks - "680 news" has a better ring to it and its well known.   Its almost like changing "CHUM" now. 

 

June 4, 2021 11:33 am  #7


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

RadioActive wrote:

but how often do you tune in because you like the background?

This may depend a lot on whether or not a background was changed to something viewers did not care for, then changed again to something more welcoming. (but still different from the original background) 

I think my best example might be when CKVR became the NEW VR news. the Bright Yellow was horrifying. 
They toned it down a bit, but maybe viewers were a lot happier when it became A channel News.


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.
 
 

June 4, 2021 12:58 pm  #8


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

markow202 wrote:

That sucks - "680 news" has a better ring to it and its well known.   Its almost like changing "CHUM" now. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Bell at some point changes CHUM's imaging or tweaking the format for 104.5.  The ratings haven't been the greatest and Bell seems to be on a rebranding kick.  It would be a wrong move in my opinion but Bell doesn't seem overly concerned about history or legacy.  I could see the CHUM call letters gone, maybe not the legal registered call letters but on air at some point.  

 

June 4, 2021 5:30 pm  #9


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

paterson1 wrote:

markow202 wrote:

That sucks - "680 news" has a better ring to it and its well known.   Its almost like changing "CHUM" now. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Bell at some point changes CHUM's imaging or tweaking the format for 104.5.  The ratings haven't been the greatest and Bell seems to be on a rebranding kick.  It would be a wrong move in my opinion but Bell doesn't seem overly concerned about history or legacy.  I could see the CHUM call letters gone, maybe not the legal registered call letters but on air at some point.  

First things first, CHUM calls for FM (at least) will not be chainging.
The main reason why the AM side did not change may be because it is illegal to use a T as the second letter. 
(illegal to be CTSN 1050)  
It's a lot easier to just leave the calls alone and change the station other ways. (TSN 1050 is 1050 CHUM)

This again is why there is no CBNC at any bounce FM stations. 
The second letter is restricted.  


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.
 
 

June 4, 2021 5:42 pm  #10


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

Nobody who listens to these stations will care what they're called.

 

June 4, 2021 6:30 pm  #11


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

Charlie wrote:

Nobody who listens to these stations will care what they're called.

No need to watch Citynews on TV. It's on the radio now. 
Separate the two. 680 news might have something different to say than CityNews...is the thinking the average person might maintain.  Better to keep it that way than to steer everyone to believe it's the exact same damn thing.
Bye TV viewers! 
Catch Citynews on the radio. Watch CTV news on TV.  Yeah...who cares what it's called. Right?


 


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.
 
 

June 4, 2021 6:33 pm  #12


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

Another reason they didn't flip callsigns back in the day was because it confused people who look at the ratings. Recall CFMX/CFMZ? Callsigns are pretty meaningless to the listener.. so why bother taking on any added risk of changing callsigns and branding at the same time. 

 

June 4, 2021 7:44 pm  #13


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

Radiowiz wrote:

Charlie wrote:

Nobody who listens to these stations will care what they're called.

No need to watch Citynews on TV. It's on the radio now. 
Separate the two. 680 news might have something different to say than CityNews...is the thinking the average person might maintain.  Better to keep it that way than to steer everyone to believe it's the exact same damn thing.
Bye TV viewers! 
Catch Citynews on the radio. Watch CTV news on TV.  Yeah...who cares what it's called. Right?


 

Right.
 

 

June 4, 2021 8:15 pm  #14


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

Radiowiz wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

markow202 wrote:

That sucks - "680 news" has a better ring to it and its well known.   Its almost like changing "CHUM" now. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Bell at some point changes CHUM's imaging or tweaking the format for 104.5.  The ratings haven't been the greatest and Bell seems to be on a rebranding kick.  It would be a wrong move in my opinion but Bell doesn't seem overly concerned about history or legacy.  I could see the CHUM call letters gone, maybe not the legal registered call letters but on air at some point.  

First things first, CHUM calls for FM (at least) will not be chainging.
The main reason why the AM side did not change may be because it is illegal to use a T as the second letter. 
(illegal to be CTSN 1050)  
It's a lot easier to just leave the calls alone and change the station other ways. (TSN 1050 is 1050 CHUM)

This again is why there is no CBNC at any bounce FM stations. 
The second letter is restricted.  

And that is why I said that Bell wouldn't change the legal call letters for CHUM, but might the imaging on air.  Not saying they absolutely are going to, but if 104.5 continues to slide, I wouldn't be surprised.  In terms of the Bounce stations there is no reason to change any of the calls.  As already mentioned, call letters for many stations don't really mean anything to listeners.  Virgin Radio here in Kitchener is still CFCA, and there was no reason to change the legal call letters since other than sporadic legal id's the station hasn't been called CFCA on air for over 25 years.

A new station will often customize call letters to reflect the name on air, but older stations usually opt to keep the legal call letters that they have always had.

 

Last edited by paterson1 (June 4, 2021 8:31 pm)

 

June 4, 2021 10:29 pm  #15


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

Radiowiz wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

markow202 wrote:

That sucks - "680 news" has a better ring to it and its well known.   Its almost like changing "CHUM" now. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Bell at some point changes CHUM's imaging or tweaking the format for 104.5.  The ratings haven't been the greatest and Bell seems to be on a rebranding kick.  It would be a wrong move in my opinion but Bell doesn't seem overly concerned about history or legacy.  I could see the CHUM call letters gone, maybe not the legal registered call letters but on air at some point.  

First things first, CHUM calls for FM (at least) will not be chainging.
The main reason why the AM side did not change may be because it is illegal to use a T as the second letter. 
(illegal to be CTSN 1050)  
It's a lot easier to just leave the calls alone and change the station other ways. (TSN 1050 is 1050 CHUM)

This again is why there is no CBNC at any bounce FM stations. 
The second letter is restricted.  

The second letter is not restricted. CBL-FM is one of many examples of "B" being the second call letter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_radio_stations_in_Canada


 


"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram
 

June 4, 2021 11:44 pm  #16


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

Dale Patterson wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

paterson1 wrote:


I wouldn't be surprised if Bell at some point changes CHUM's imaging or tweaking the format for 104.5.  The ratings haven't been the greatest and Bell seems to be on a rebranding kick.  It would be a wrong move in my opinion but Bell doesn't seem overly concerned about history or legacy.  I could see the CHUM call letters gone, maybe not the legal registered call letters but on air at some point.  

First things first, CHUM calls for FM (at least) will not be chainging.
The main reason why the AM side did not change may be because it is illegal to use a T as the second letter. 
(illegal to be CTSN 1050)  
It's a lot easier to just leave the calls alone and change the station other ways. (TSN 1050 is 1050 CHUM)

This again is why there is no CBNC at any bounce FM stations. 
The second letter is restricted.  

The second letter is not restricted. CBL-FM is one of many examples of "B" being the second call letter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_radio_stations_in_Canada


 

They are restricted for use only by the CBC.

 

June 5, 2021 12:14 am  #17


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

This news continues my career track record. My Regina station is gone. My Ottawa station moved from AM to FM. The Broadcast News name has disappeared,and now 680 News will soon be re-named. At least, my first radio employer, in Saskatchewan is still alive.
As for my next career, one of my home buildings has been torn down and another soon will be.
I trust this is all a coincidence.

Last edited by dieter (June 5, 2021 7:53 am)

 

June 5, 2021 6:44 am  #18


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

The truth is that CB is not actually a legal Canadian call-sign prefix.  The series CBA-CBZ is assigned to Chile by the International Telecommunications Union:
https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-R/terrestrial/fmd/Pages/call_sign_series.aspx
CBC gets to use it by special arrangement with the government of Chile.
If we run out of call signs, perhaps they will activate the CG series.

 

June 5, 2021 9:02 am  #19


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

Skywave wrote:

The truth is that CB is not actually a legal Canadian call-sign prefix.  The series CBA-CBZ is assigned to Chile by the International Telecommunications Union:
https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-R/terrestrial/fmd/Pages/call_sign_series.aspx
CBC gets to use it by special arrangement with the government of Chile.
If we run out of call signs, perhaps they will activate the CG series.

Most interesting. I was not aware the U.S. also has the "N" series. Like most people, I had always assumed the "CB" combinations were assigned to Canada, but restricted for CBC use. One of the things I like about this site, I learn something new, every day.

 

June 5, 2021 8:04 pm  #20


Re: 680 News & Other Rogers Stns. Being Rebranded As "CityNews"

This, incidentally, is why the CBC, when it ran shortwave stations, did not use the "CB-" identifiers on them, but rather used actual callsigns legally assigned for Canadian use internationally. St. John's was CKZN, Vancouver was CKZU, and Radio Canada International at Sackville used CKCX early on, before it stopped using calls.