sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2021 8:18 pm  #1

CBC TV Unveils Fall Slate Of Shows. But Will Anyone Watch?

It's tough enough to get anyone to watch CBC programming. But with increased streaming and shows on other networks - including Global, CTV and the AmNets - will any of these shows capture your attention?

I can honestly say I haven't watched a CBC-produced show in decades. And I don't think I'm alone. Now before paterson1 attacks me for hating all Cancon, I'm not sure why that is. It's that most of them just don't seem to appeal to me, not because of where they're made. Schitt's Creek, which I desperately tried to like but could not get into, is gone, taking its marquee value with it.

But the article makes it clear that if you watch the Olympics on CBC (if indeed, there IS an Olympics this summer) you're going to see as many promos for these series as you will events at the Games. 

CBC’S virtual Upfront hypes an ambitious slate for 2021-22

Last edited by RadioActive (June 2, 2021 8:24 pm)

June 2, 2021 8:38 pm  #2

Re: CBC TV Unveils Fall Slate Of Shows. But Will Anyone Watch?

Speaking of CBC shows, one of the most successful was Kim's Convenience, seen around the world. But it appears there was trouble in paradise, according to one of its stars.

Simu Liu Reveals Why ‘Kim’s Convenience’ Can’t Be Saved, Claims Cast Was Paid ‘Horsepoop’

June 2, 2021 8:48 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I can honestly say I haven't watched a CBC-produced show in decades

Marketplace, Murdoch Mysteries and Canadian Family Feud are all great shows on CBC. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 2, 2021 9:25 pm  #4

"Now before paterson1 attacks me for hating all Cancon.."  I never attack RA, I question and try to bring out inconsistencies, inaccuracies in some arguments and positions  You have indicated many times that you hate all cancon, I really don't need to do it for you.  You have said, other than news, that you don't watch Canadian programming and haven't for decades.  My position has been it's because you don't like or agree with the regulations and therefore refuse to watch any Canadian shows.  To me this is wrongheaded and makes it hard for you to argue about the quality of Canadian programming when you can't really know since you never look at it. And because of regulation you often appear to to judge most things Canadian with a different set of benchmarks or standards especially if it differs from the US. 

Will anyone watch CBC's new fall slate of shows?  You could say the same thing about any North American broadcast network right now.

June 2, 2021 9:58 pm  #5

The Bill Brioux article itself makes the point that it will be tough for the CBC to get much attention to its new offerings, not because they're good or bad, but simply because they're up against more programming than ever from the competition - which now includes multiple streaming services, many of which spend a lot more money on their programs. That's just a fact. It doesn't necessarily affect the quality, only the ability to grab eyeballs. So please don't assume you know how I feel about Cancon overall. 

Most of my previous comments on this issue had a lot more to do with the CRTC forcing Cancon on Canadian audiences, with my main objection being government intrusion in programming content. (In my case, it was more about radio than TV.)

It appears nothing has changed, because they're at it again with Bill C-10, which many on both the left and the right, along with lawyers and professors like Michael Geist, call the "Internet censorship bill." It now appears this disastrous legislation won't pass before the House rises for the summer, which will effectively kill it - and good riddance to giving the CRTC - you know, those guys who completely reversed themselves on Internet pricing for the consumers 'benefit last week - the ability to govern what's appropriate web content. 

And therein lies my real issue. I have no problem with Canadian TV shows. I just haven't found many that interest me - although I like Transplant, which is a CTV effort. I do have an issue with a government entity being in charge of deciding what's good or bad in Canadian television - or worse, not caring as long as it meets certain criteria. Or having a say over what you or I say online. How can that ever possibly be a good thing?  

I would be curious to know how many of these just announced CBC shows you plan to watch on a weekly basis. If I hear of one that interests me, I'd definitely sample it. But so far, the descriptions don't exactly make me want to set my DVR. That's not Cancon snobbery. That's just a difference of taste. Surely, I'm entitled to that.

And no, I'm not calling you Shirley...

June 2, 2021 9:58 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

"Now before paterson1 attacks me for hating all Cancon.."  I never attack RA, I question and try to bring out inconsistencies, inaccuracies in some arguments and positions  You have indicated many times that you hate all cancon, I really don't need to do it for you.  You have said, other than news, that you don't watch Canadian programming and haven't for decades.  My position has been it's because you don't like or agree with the regulations and therefore refuse to watch any Canadian shows.  To me this is wrongheaded and makes it hard for you to argue about the quality of Canadian programming when you can't really know since you never look at it. And because of regulation you often appear to to judge most things Canadian with a different set of benchmarks or standards especially if it differs from the US. 

Will anyone watch CBC's new fall slate of shows?  You could say the same thing about any North American broadcast network right now.

The Bill Brioux article itself makes the point that it will be tough for the CBC to get much attention to its new offerings, not because they're good or bad, but simply because they're up against more programming than ever from the competition - which now includes multiple streaming services, many of which spend a lot more money on their programs. That's just a fact. It doesn't necessarily affect the quality, only the ability to grab eyeballs. So please don't assume you know how I feel about Cancon overall. 

Most of my previous comments on this issue had a lot more to do with the CRTC forcing Cancon on Canadian audiences, with my main objection being government intrusion in programming content. (In my case, it was more about radio than TV.)

It appears nothing has changed, because they're at it again with Bill C-10, which many on both the left and the right, along with lawyers and professors like Michael Geist, call the "Internet censorship bill." It now appears this disastrous legislation won't pass before the House rises for the summer, which will effectively kill it - and good riddance to giving the CRTC - you know, those guys who completely reversed themselves on Internet pricing for the consumers' benefit last week - the ability to govern what's appropriate web content. 

And therein lies my real issue. I have no problem with Canadian TV shows. I just haven't found many that interest me - although I like Transplant, which is a CTV effort. I do have an issue with a government entity being in charge of deciding what's good or bad in Canadian television - or worse, not caring as long as it meets certain criteria. Or having a say over what you or I say online. How can that ever possibly be a good thing?  

I would be curious to know how many of these just announced CBC shows you plan to watch on a weekly basis. If I hear of one that interests me, I'd definitely sample it. But so far, the descriptions don't exactly make me want to set my DVR. That's not Cancon snobbery. That's just a difference of taste. Surely, I'm entitled to that.

And no, I'm not calling you Shirley...

June 2, 2021 11:18 pm  #7

I don't assume I know what you feel about cancon.  You normally say it for yourself.  You have called cancon nothing more than make work projects, inferior in quality, forced programming that nobody likes or watches, and have a habit of bringing up old old shows like Trouble With Tracey, Party Game and others that you feel represent the worst of Canadian TV.  In the past your comments often are condescending regarding cancon both for radio and TV, and it is usually wrapped up in the dislike of regulation and government guidelines.  
So it would be easy to think that you don't like cancon.  Sorry to be so blunt. 

I am glad to hear that after many years you seem to be at least looking at something other than Canadian news.  Did you watch Transplant because it was picked up by NBC, or would you have watched it anyway? 

The CRTC is not in charge of deciding what is good or bad in Canadian television, don't know where that  comes from.  The CRTC regulates that radio and TV have a certain percent of Canadian programming.  They don't decide anything regarding the actual programming content, and likely don't really care.  Why would the CRTC care what networks or broadcasters program or the type of cancon?  That isn't their job. They are the government regulator, not a censor and have never got involved with actual content.  Why do you always act like they do? 

I will agree that ultimately people will watch what interests them.  Fortunately, at least for now, people around the world seem to be watching more Canadian product than ever before.  But this somewhat new trend is not a reason to say ok, cancon worked, now lets get rid of it. 

Living next door to the US for broadcasters is not an even playing field and never will be.  The CRTC regs were put in place to safeguard and protect the domestic broadcast system and to ensure that Canadian programming has a place on Canadian TV and radio. And that's it.  Could it be better?  Of course.

All of the other dark and evil scenarios that some like to peddle like living in a less than free country or slippery slopes because of cancon and other regulation is ridiculous.  Why do we know this?  Just look at the last 50 years. Show us the damage and carnage that the regs have caused over the past 5 decades.  If you are really honest you know the opposite is true.

June 3, 2021 12:28 am  #8

Yes, I will admit that the Cancon stuff from the 70s, especially on TV, colours my impression to this day. It's tough to think of The Beachcombers or the Tommy Hunter Show or Hymn Sing as compelling television. Forgive a guy with a long memory, but first impressions last. I realize many of the more modern shows can compete with any in the world and often do. Doesn't mean they necessarily appeal to me just because they're Canadian. 

I keep hearing someone has to tell Canadians stories or bring Canada to Canadians. But the fact is, most people don't watch them! If they did, they wouldn't have to be forced to make them, they'd be on every night of the week. Everyone wants to be a success and get big ratings. So why waste money, resources and effort on stuff that just isn't seen because of some arbitrary rule? 

Yes, the CRTC doesn't dictate what the content is. But the very fact they can force anything on a broadcaster is what bothers me. That so much of the early stuff was so awful just made it worse. I know you won't like the comparison, but can you imagine if the FCC tried to tell the U.S. networks what they had to show? The networks would take it to the Supreme Court and likely win. Freedom, First Amendment and all that unimportant stuff. 

We don't tell our government how to make laws. They shouldn't tell us what to program. I can't make my objection any simpler than that. Keep government out of programming! They have no business sticking their noses into it. Stay with licensing, signal interference and other important technical decisions. But don't tell me what I have to air (even if they don't dictate what the show is about) on my station. If it's good, I assure you, I - and the viewers/listeners - will inevitably find it. And we'll want it on our station.    

And I still didn't call you Shirley!

June 3, 2021 6:20 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

... I can honestly say I haven't watched a CBC-produced show in decades. And I don't think I'm alone ...

Your loss .. Kim's Convenience was an excellent, laugh out loud gem.

June 3, 2021 7:15 am  #10

Beachcomers, Tommy Hunter and yes even Hymn Sing were all popular programs in their day.  CBC is a public broadcaster and always has programmed some shows that regular networks would not.  That is part of their mandate, and Hymn Sing and some children's programming falls into this category.  I am surprised you never picked up that Heartland has been renewed again for this season.  Another great CBC show that you see as unworthy and a waste of money and resources. However Heartland is solid family entertainment and is broadcast in over 100 countries around the world.  Why even Netflix streams Heartland!  So apparently someone is watching this show that going into it's 14th season.

Again, the CRTC does not tell broadcasters what to show.  But broadcasters do need to show a certain percent of cancon.  The content regs are there to insure that some Canadian programming beyond news actually gets on Canadian airwaves.  This isn't rocket science, or really that complicated.    It is not some dark conspiracy to control the minds of Canadians with government approved programming like some irresponsible people and writers are trying to push and mislead the public with.  If this were the case, would we not have had 50 years of this mind control already from the CRTC?

Oh, and the FCC??  The FCC already does tell US networks what they can and can't show.  Broadcast television is limited in terms of content and what the FCC allows. They in fact expect networks to employ their own censors, and the FCC will fine broadcasters if they are deemed to not be following the guidelines.   That doesn't sound like freedom to me.  Show some nudity, and adult situations, or a bad swear word?  Better start writing cheques CBS, FOX, ABC or NBC.  Spanish network Univision was fined $24 million for lack of educational children's programming and not showing the required amount of programming geared for children. 

Sinclair Broadcasting was fined $48 million by the FCC for showing a "lack of candor" when attempting to buy Tribune Media last year. The president of Sinclair actually thanked the FCC for resolving the situation.  Some think it was more of a payoff to get the FCC off of Sinclair's back and close three other investigations that the government agency had been working on against Sinclair.  Yep, great system they have.  The first amendment, freedom, supreme court and all of that other stuff?  Hardly... Situations like this never come up here and broadcasters are not fined millions by the CRTC for getting out of line, or perceived "lack of candor."  Think of that next time someone tries to peddle the third world dictatorship line about the CRTC. 

Finally, why are broadcasters so precious that they should be above any guidelines.  If the broadcast frequencies are public domain, and belong to the people, why is it assumed that the people are always totally on side with broadcasters?  What happened to checks and balances.  Whether you like it or not the government also represents the people.  That's why we have elections and that's why groups like the CRTC are around to represent the public and advocate for them.  Do they get it right, not always and sometimes they fail badly.  But so do broadcasters.

Last edited by paterson1 (June 3, 2021 7:19 am)

June 3, 2021 8:47 am  #11

Not being a fan of the Olympics. I won't see any promos for all these "Great" CBC shows coming this fall. The Harold Ballard documentary could be interesting. Marketplace has always been appointment viewing for me on Friday nights. And while not a Canadian produced series, I have been a loyal Coronation Street viewer since the mid 1980's. I guess you could say I get some value from my tax dollars that help support the Mother Corporation.

June 3, 2021 9:17 am  #12

Radiowiz wrote:

Marketplace, Murdoch Mysteries and Canadian Family Feud are all great shows on CBC. 

Marketplace is great.  It's the only program on main stream TV that will challenge cable TV, wireless and other such businesses that the vertically integrated guys won't.

Murdoch Mysteries was refreshing in that it never hid that fact it was based in Toronto.

June 3, 2021 9:25 am  #13

paterson1 wrote:

I am surprised you never picked up that Heartland has been renewed again for this season.  Another great CBC show that you see as unworthy and a waste of money and resources. However Heartland is solid family entertainment and is broadcast in over 100 countries around the world.  Why even Netflix streams Heartland!  So apparently someone is watching this show that going into it's 14th season.

Fantastic! I hope they enjoy it. But I just don't want my tax dollars going to pay for it. Unlike education or health care, this is hardly an essential service.  

paterson1 wrote:

The content regs are there to insure that some Canadian programming beyond news actually gets on Canadian airwaves.  This isn't rocket science, or really that complicated.

And that's a nice idea in theory. But I will repeat my main and real only major objection. The government (through the CRTC) has no business dictating any shows must be made or broadcast. That's not their department, as far as I'm concerned and I will feel that way to the end of my life. Get. Government. Out. Of. Broadcasting. Content. Period.

Pierre Trudeau famously noted that "Government has no place in the bedrooms of Canadians." A bit out of context, I'll admit, but I maintain it has no place in their living rooms, either.

paterson1 wrote:

The FCC already does tell US networks what they can and can't show.

Well here we completely part ways. The FCC or any regulator has the right to set public standards. But not to tell broadcasters they MUST make shows from a certain place. I actually supported the Fairness Doctrine. But I fully understand why it was struck down. The powers-that-be decided it wasn't entirely constitutional to tell broadcasters how they had to cover an issue. So it's gone.  

paterson1 wrote:

Show some nudity, and adult situations, or a bad swear word?  Better start writing cheques CBS, FOX, ABC or NBC.

Maybe at one time. But ever since NYPD Blue broke barriers, network TV has begun to look a lot more like cable. They now carry rating warnings before and during a show. Yes, it's not as explicit as cable or streaming can get. But those standards have changed, along with society. Swear words, while not plentiful, regularly turn up on all the networks these days, although the F-word remains taboo. I hear the rest all the time. And guess what? Not a single fine is given. 

paterson1 wrote:

Sinclair Broadcasting was fined $48 million by the FCC for showing a "lack of candor" when attempting to buy Tribune Media last year....

This is about regulating the buying and selling of TV stations - exactly what an entity like the FCC or the CRTC should be doing. (As in the upcoming decision regarding Rogers purchase of Shaw.) This has nothing to do with mandating that they have to make certain shows that originate in a certain place. The two aren't exactly comparable. 

paterson1 wrote:

Finally, why are broadcasters so precious that they should be above any guidelines.  If the broadcast frequencies are public domain, and belong to the people, why is it assumed that the people are always totally on side with broadcasters?  What happened to checks and balances.  Whether you like it or not the government also represents the people.

Who said people are totally on side with broadcasters? That's a pretty broad and demonstrably unprovable statement. I will conclude where I started - monitor frequencies and interference, take care of handing out licences, resolve disputes between companies, approve or disapprove of certain business deals, but stay the hell out of programming. It's not their area nor should it ever be. 

And with that, this Canadian is done with this content!

Besides, I have to go call someone Shirley...

June 3, 2021 9:27 am  #14

In Phase wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Marketplace is great.  It's the only program on main stream TV that will challenge cable TV, wireless and other such businesses that the vertically integrated guys won't.

Murdoch Mysteries was refreshing in that it never hid that fact it was based in Toronto.

I actually admire Marketplace, although I rarely watch it. And I was a fan of "Flashpoint" and "Motive," two CTV shows. Canadian TV doesn't have to be bad. My complaint is that it shouldn't be mandated by government fiat. If there's a market for it, I suspect quality shows will somehow get made, especially with streaming outlets now so hungry for new material. But don't force it on broadcasters. Why is that position so controversial?

June 3, 2021 12:10 pm  #15

"The government (through the CRTC) has no business dictating any shows must be made or broadcast. That's not their department, as far as I'm concerned and I will feel that way to the end of my life. Get. Government. Out. Of. Broadcasting. Content. Period."

Likewise the same government through the CRTC, has no business dictating to companies how to manage and price their infrastructure.

I have noticed the wailing and gnashing of teeth recently about the CRTC not dictating the pricing of data services.

June 3, 2021 12:52 pm  #16

Calhame wrote:

"The government (through the CRTC) has no business dictating any shows must be made or broadcast. That's not their department, as far as I'm concerned and I will feel that way to the end of my life. Get. Government. Out. Of. Broadcasting. Content. Period."

Likewise the same government through the CRTC, has no business dictating to companies how to manage and price their infrastructure.

I have noticed the wailing and gnashing of teeth recently about the CRTC not dictating the pricing of data services.

You're right. I'll admit to some hypocrisy here. But if the CRTC is there to carry out the government's mandate, then they failed dismally in the case of Internet pricing. The feds openly proclaimed a wish to lower Internet prices across Canada and even campaigned on it. But after first approving it, the CRTC decided against it a few years later, for reasons known only to them. And the government doesn't seem too concerned that its wishes weren't carried out, promising only a tepid "review."

So when it comes to spending taxpayer money on CBC and Canadian programming, that's a must-do. But when it comes to keeping this promise about lowering ISP access prices, it appears that it's, "oh well, we tried. Nothing to see here." And that's what irritates me and millions of other Canadians. 

Well, that and the head of the CRTC who was deciding on this policy used to be a government lobbyist for Telus. No conflict of interest there!

A May 29th article in the Toronto Star on this story ended with the perfect quote:

"Peter Menzies, a former CRTC commissioner who was the vice-chair of telecom for four years, summed up many critics’ feelings with a short tweet on Thursday. 

“In the end, Bell always wins.” 

It seems the rest of us, sadly, do not. 

June 3, 2021 1:40 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I am surprised you never picked up that Heartland has been renewed again for this season.  Another great CBC show that you see as unworthy and a waste of money and resources. However Heartland is solid family entertainment and is broadcast in over 100 countries around the world.  Why even Netflix streams Heartland!  So apparently someone is watching this show that going into it's 14th season.

Fantastic! I hope they enjoy it. But I just don't want my tax dollars going to pay for it. Unlike education or health care, this is hardly an essential service.  

paterson1 wrote:

The content regs are there to insure that some Canadian programming beyond news actually gets on Canadian airwaves.  This isn't rocket science, or really that complicated.

And that's a nice idea in theory. But I will repeat my main and real only major objection. The government (through the CRTC) has no business dictating any shows must be made or broadcast. That's not their department, as far as I'm concerned and I will feel that way to the end of my life. Get. Government. Out. Of. Broadcasting. Content. Period.

Pierre Trudeau famously noted that "Government has no place in the bedrooms of Canadians." A bit out of context, I'll admit, but I maintain it has no place in their living rooms, either.

paterson1 wrote:

The FCC already does tell US networks what they can and can't show.

Well here we completely part ways. The FCC or any regulator has the right to set public standards. But not to tell broadcasters they MUST make shows from a certain place. I actually supported the Fairness Doctrine. But I fully understand why it was struck down. The powers-that-be decided it wasn't entirely constitutional to tell broadcasters how they had to cover an issue. So it's gone.  

paterson1 wrote:

Show some nudity, and adult situations, or a bad swear word?  Better start writing cheques CBS, FOX, ABC or NBC.

Maybe at one time. But ever since NYPD Blue broke barriers, network TV has begun to look a lot more like cable. They now carry rating warnings before and during a show. Yes, it's not as explicit as cable or streaming can get. But those standards have changed, along with society. Swear words, while not plentiful, regularly turn up on all the networks these days, although the F-word remains taboo. I hear the rest all the time. And guess what? Not a single fine is given. 

paterson1 wrote:

Sinclair Broadcasting was fined $48 million by the FCC for showing a "lack of candor" when attempting to buy Tribune Media last year....

This is about regulating the buying and selling of TV stations - exactly what an entity like the FCC or the CRTC should be doing. (As in the upcoming decision regarding Rogers purchase of Shaw.) This has nothing to do with mandating that they have to make certain shows that originate in a certain place. The two aren't exactly comparable. 

paterson1 wrote:

Finally, why are broadcasters so precious that they should be above any guidelines.  If the broadcast frequencies are public domain, and belong to the people, why is it assumed that the people are always totally on side with broadcasters?  What happened to checks and balances.  Whether you like it or not the government also represents the people.

Who said people are totally on side with broadcasters? That's a pretty broad and demonstrably unprovable statement. I will conclude where I started - monitor frequencies and interference, take care of handing out licences, resolve disputes between companies, approve or disapprove of certain business deals, but stay the hell out of programming. It's not their area nor should it ever be. 

And with that, this Canadian is done with this content!

Besides, I have to go call someone Shirley...

Well lots to disagree about with you RA.  Let's see where to start. "The government through the CRTC has no business dictating any shows that are made or broadcast".  They don't get involved with shows, they dictate a certain amount needs to be Canadian.  And who said that is not their department?  The CRTC is not the FCC, Canada is not the US, we have a different broadcast system with different regulations and mandates.  Yes it is their department, just because the FCC doesn't do this doesn't matter.  Why does everything need to be like in the US? 

Many countries have domestic content requirements for broadcasters.  Canada is not unique in this.  Just because we are next door to the US and they don't need these regulations doesn't mean that our broadcasting industry doesn't need them either. The cancon regulations are more than just a "nice theory" as you put it.  It is part of doing business for broadcasters in this country, and helps maintain a domestic industry, which is thriving right now in many areas.  COVID be damned!!   

The FCC does set public standards, the CRTC does not, and is more hands off in this area.  The CRTC is very hesitant to get involved with actual censorship, unlike the FCC which is much more in broadcasters faces.  This is one reason why network dramas in the US are dying.  The FCC will not allow networks the freedom that cable and streaming services have.  They are still a long way from what is allowed on cable.  The CRTC does not have an issue with this.  If there is a complaint the commission would rather broadcasters sort it out through the CBSC, which is not part of the government.  The CRTC only gets involved as a last resort.

And the striking down of the fairness doctrine has worked out well hasn't it?  Why would broadcasters being required to offer a balanced point of view at their discretion be unconstitutional or a bad thing?  Striking down the requirement is one of the reasons for the political mess right now in the US news media and government.  I guess it is ok for news media to lie now.  Freedom seems to be more important than the truth then? What happened to responsibility and serving the public, I guess that was struck down as well?

The CBC is not taxed directly to Canadians.  Your $32 per year comes out of general revenues.  Paying your taxes is not a lunch buffet where you pick and choose what you agree with or are willing to pay for.  In parts of Canada, CBC radio and TV is an essential service.  If you lived in the UK you would be charged $268.91 each year for your TV license to pay for BBC.  And this is a direct tax.  

June 3, 2021 1:46 pm  #18

I don't watch a lot of TV, but one Canadian show I really like is Mayday. Very well produced. Another is "Schitt's Creek", which I watch whenever I can. CBC also airs very good documentaries in The Passionate Eye segment.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 3, 2021 2:17 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

The government (through the CRTC) has no business dictating any shows must be made or broadcast. That's not their department, as far as I'm concerned and I will feel that way to the end of my life. Get. Government. Out. Of. Broadcasting. Content. Period.

We have the misfortune (?) of being right next to the largest generator of top notch English language TV content in the world.. Much of which is freely available directly over the air from border stations.

I presume Canada is relatively unique in this respect and this is the reason our various governments, through the CRTC, have supported the notion of Cancon.

June 4, 2021 11:59 pm  #20

Charlie wrote:

Having not watched the CBC for more than 6 decades, other than the occasional news or sports broadcast, and maybe an episode or two of 'Schitt's Creek' that I didn't see on one of the streaming things, I can't summon a great deal of excitement for the latest lame lineup.  My tax dollars continue to prop up this national treasure, though, so I can take solace in that.

If you haven’t watched it how do you know it’s lame?
The CBC has been having a good run lately. We’ll see if it continues.

June 5, 2021 9:21 am  #21

I must be weird because I think many of the CBC shows are among the best on tv and I do not understand why some of their shows are not much higher in the ratings. Is it because the majority are anti CBC or believe because a show is Canadian it has to be inferior? Not every CBC show is a winner but a good majority of them are and are way superior to much of the garbage shows that come from the US.

June 5, 2021 9:59 am  #22

Storm wrote:

I must be weird because I think many of the CBC shows are among the best on tv and I do not understand why some of their shows are not much higher in the ratings. Is it because the majority are anti CBC or believe because a show is Canadian it has to be inferior? Not every CBC show is a winner but a good majority of them are and are way superior to much of the garbage shows that come from the US.

Being a regular Coronation Street viewer, I see plenty of promos for other CBC programming, so I am fully aware of what is available. Yes, Murdoch Mysteries, Kim's Convenience and Schitts Creek are/were well written and well produced series. None of them interested me, so I didn't watch them. Simple as that.

June 5, 2021 12:22 pm  #23

Storm wrote:

I am of the opinion that CBC, CTV, Global and City have a real opportunity right now that the US broadcast networks don't have.  They should take advantage of the more flexible guidelines regarding what is and not deemed acceptable on Canadian network TV.  CTV in particular has run unedited cable programming (The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, and cable movies) that would never be shown on US broadcast TV.  CBC has shown movies and some of their own domestic shows that are more explicit regarding language and adult situations.  CHCH and City also shows the occasional unedited movie in prime time.  Now this is not to say that Canadian networks should become overly adult or dwelling on movies or programming that have a lot of foul language.  There is a time and a place for both, and networks here are able to show this type of programming.  Our friends to the south can't, so take advantage. 

Also US network programming especially drama and sitcoms are going nowhere  partially because of these FCC restrictions and the limitations this imposes on them.  That's why network broadcast programming is almost always shut out of the prime time Emmy Awards, and very few shows if any from CBS, NBC, ABC or FOX have any buzz or talk. We may see less and less simulcasting in the future, only because US network programming is not the ratings draw it once was.   

CBC in particular has an image problem, that certain media like Sun/Post newspapers love to capitalize on and exaggerate.  Likely there is a certain percent of Canadians who refuse to watch much on the CBC since it is unappealing to them, hate the CBC because of perceived left bias, or see no purpose in the network existing, especially when most of the budget comes from taxes.  Because of this, CBC is also scrutinized more that other networks, which is absolutely fair and correct.

CBC, and Canadian broadcasters in general, need to lighten up a bit with their programming and have more fun.  I was always in support of CBC producing Family Feud.  It is refreshing to see Canadians on a game show, having fun, laughing, being stupid if they wish, and nobody judging them.  The only issue this past season was a lack of studio audience which really adds to the atmosphere of the program and gives host Gerry Dee a chance to use his comedic chops.  Who cares if the show is mindless fun, CBC and other Canadian networks need shows like this and should do more.

That's why I advocate for a evening or late night talk show with studio audience, band and entertaining host that interviews Canadian and international personalities.  I think a show like this shown once or twice per week would do well.  CBC here is your chance!!  And try to keep the show light and fun and not get bogged down with too much politics and what is wrong with the country and the world.  You have CBC News Network and most of the rest of the day for that!  

June 6, 2021 7:07 am  #24

I think the editing of movies and tv shows in the U.S. has less to do with the FCC and more to do with affilliate clearance. When NYPD Blue premiered on ABC in 1993, 30 affiliates refused to carry the opening episode because of some very brief non private parts nudity was shown and the character Andy Sipowitz called a woman "a pissy little bitch" When theatrical releases were an event on broadcast tv, the networks would demand top dollar ad rates. If the network runs the movie uncut and 30 % of affilliates object to the language and level of violence and run alternate programming. Now the sponsor's ads are only being seen in only 70% of the country. So, edit anything that could be perceived as objectionable. Affilliates are happy, Sponsor is happy. Problem solved.

June 6, 2021 7:18 am  #25

June 6, 2021 10:59 am  #26

RadioActive wrote:

They forgot Die Hard 2 where Bruce Willis' John McClane gets catapulted out of his plane before it explodes, and he hollers, "Oh, SHOOOOOOOOOOOTT!!!!!!!!"   

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

June 6, 2021 11:03 am  #27

mace wrote:

I think the editing of movies and tv shows in the U.S. has less to do with the FCC and more to do with affilliate clearance. When NYPD Blue premiered on ABC in 1993, 30 affiliates refused to carry the opening episode because of some very brief non private parts nudity was shown and the character Andy Sipowitz called a woman "a pissy little bitch" When theatrical releases were an event on broadcast tv, the networks would demand top dollar ad rates. If the network runs the movie uncut and 30 % of affilliates object to the language and level of violence and run alternate programming. Now the sponsor's ads are only being seen in only 70% of the country. So, edit anything that could be perceived as objectionable. Affilliates are happy, Sponsor is happy. Problem solved.

Yes but the viewer is seeing a hacked up and sanitized version of the movie.  I remember Mississippi Burning was about 20 minutes longer on City TV than the NBC version, which was missing whole scenes and extremely edited for language.

I am assuming the affiliates of the various US networks still do have a fair bit of influence, and on occasion won't show a particular show or miss an episode that they don't feel is appropriate.  This is another scenario that doesn't happen on network television here since most if not all of the affiliates are owned by the networks.  CBC may have one or two affiliates that are still privately owned, as does CTV.

However it is still the FCC that carries the big stick and has the ability to fine stations or networks which they do on occasion and at times big fines.  Again Univision fined $24 million in 2007 for not showing enough educational children's programming.  So in fact the FCC does on occasion direct networks and stations what they must show on air.   The CRTC doesn't have the ability to fine broadcasters and normally doesn't get involved with community standards like the FCC is mandated to.  Here networks don't have censors and what goes on air in terms of community standards is ultimately up to the networks and stations.  The CBSC (Canadian Broadcast Standards Council) do have guidelines which broadcasters have agreed to, but they are not bound by the guidelines and the CBSC is not affiliated in any way with the CRTC or government.  

The FCC guidelines could be one reason why US broadcast networks actually don't show that many movies, other than those made for TV, kids, or seasonal movies like Sound of Music or It's a Wonderful Life.  They rarely show anything other than children's movies that are from the last few years.  Recently CHCH showed the very funny and graphic Bridesmaid's with full language and scenes in prime time.  The CHCH version would never show up on US broadcast TV.  Same for both CTV and CBC that have programmed shows on occasion with heavy duty language and at times nudity.

Getting back to my original point.  I am not saying that Canadian stations should flood the airwaves with graphic movies with sex and language, which would be a big mistake.  But they do have the ability to show programs and movies that are similar to what the cable and streaming networks show in terms of content.  Used properly, and with discretion, this gives them an advantage with the viewer in terms of programming that US OTA broadcasters don't have.  They should take advantage of this more than they do right now.

Last edited by paterson1 (June 6, 2021 11:06 am)

June 6, 2021 2:52 pm  #28

I remember several years ago CITY broadcast Boys In the Hood. The original audio was available for those with SAP capability. There were copious utterances of "MF". CITY let the "F's" through and tried to silence as many of the "M's" as they could. They missed a few.

June 6, 2021 5:17 pm  #29

For many years CBC aired Happy Gilmore at least once every summer. Twenty years ago, they’d air it without censoring for language. Last time I saw it on CBC, they had censored Happy’s line to Bob Barker, “The price is wrong, b*tch!”

June 7, 2021 6:57 pm  #30

It should be noted that here in the U.S., The CW last year pick up the U.S. rights to the CBC series Coroner. They ran the first 2 seasons during the fall as a stopgap measure while the rest of their shows were being filmed. Season 3 is set to debut on The CW on August 19th.(Add-on: And seeing as how CBC has greenlit a 4th season of Coroner, odds are somewhere down the road The CW will air that on their schedule.)

Last edited by ckg927 (June 9, 2021 11:00 am)