sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2021 11:02 pm  #1

Another Big Error On Roger Ashby's Oldies Show

We've talked about some mistakes before on Roger Ashby's Oldies Show, but this weekend, there was another very noticeable one. And once again, it appears to have been caused because someone, possibly the producer, didn't know the music. 

A listener requested "Concrete & Clay" by The Unit 4 Plus 2. Ashby even comments on how the group got its name and then the song begins. Except it's absolutely, positively not The Unit 4 Plus 2. I'm not even sure if it was the far inferior version by Eddie Rambeau. But it wasn't what was announced and it was extremely obvious to anyone who knows the original, which was a pretty big hit. 

It's not enough to just look up the name and then drop it in. You have to be sure to get the right version. 

There's something else I thought I heard and maybe those who listen on Sunday can confirm it. Ashby plays a clip right off the top of the third hour with an artist he personally interviewed many years ago, telling him a long unknown fact about his hit record. At one point, I could swear I heard someone, possibly Ashby himself, in the background say "no shit!" in surprise. But I can't believe they would have left that in there. Perhaps I heard it wrong. Maybe a different set of ears will detect something else.

May 30, 2021 6:27 am  #2

Re: Another Big Error On Roger Ashby's Oldies Show

Gary Lewis & The Playboys [1965] and Cliff Richard [1966] recorded versions of Concrete and Clay.

May 30, 2021 6:48 am  #3

I wonder if it could have been the Cliff Richard version. For some reason, they played three different tunes by Sir Cliff during the same show. I found that kind of odd, as well, since they almost never repeat the same artist in the same program.

And by the way, anyone notice how Jack Scott makes the show every single week? He's back again this weekend.

May 30, 2021 11:16 am  #4

So did that swear word get through? As I listened to it a second time, it seems obvious it did. It occurs very clearly at the 50 second mark just as the clip ends. 

You can decide if you hear it or not here. 

May 30, 2021 12:37 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I wonder if it could have been the Cliff Richard version. For some reason, they played three different tunes by Sir Cliff during the same show. I found that kind of odd, as well, since they almost never repeat the same artist in the same program.

And by the way, anyone notice how Jack Scott makes the show every single week? He's back again this weekend.

Now be careful there RA, he does play Jack Scott a lot, but hardly every single week. And I have heard callers from the Windsor/Detroit area requesting Jack as well.  Remember you were the one who also said that Ashby had never played the Beatles six months into his show.    

May 30, 2021 1:38 pm  #6

You're right, but I think Jack Scott has been played at least once a week for the past month or so, if not more. It's happened so often, I've actually noticed it. Not sure why, but somebody there likes him. And of course, he's CanCon and - I never realized this - had a ton of hits and material to dig into. Just seems like I hear him all the time. 

May 30, 2021 2:00 pm  #7

Guess it's a good thing that I'm still saving the list of the songs he plays each week. The current one isn't available yet, but here's what I have for this year. Basically from January until late March he played Jack Scott records about twice a month, but then from March 27 to May 15 he did so on seven out of eight weeks. Maybe some requests bumped up the number during that time period ... asking for Jack Scott is certainly a great way of getting your request played.  
NOW THAT I JACK SCOTT May 15 & 16
CRY CRY CRY JACK SCOTT May 8 & 9
WITH YOUR LOVE JACK SCOTT April 24 & 25
MY TRUE LOVE JACK SCOTT April 17 & 18
SAVE MY SOUL SCOTT, JACK April 10 & 11
GOOD DEAL, LUCILLE SCOTT, JACK April 3 & 4
IS THERE SOMETHING ON YOUR MIND SCOTT, JACK March 27 & 28
I KNEW YOU FIRST SCOTT, JACK March 13 & 14
IT ONLY HAPPENED YESTERDAY SCOTT, JACK February 20 & 21
SAVE MY SOUL SCOTT, JACK February 20 & 21
LAUGH AND THE WORLD LAUGHS WITH YOU SCOTT, JACK February 13 & 14
GOODBYE BABY SCOTT, JACK January 30 & 31
BURNING BRIDGES SCOTT, JACK January 16 & 17

Last edited by Lorne (May 31, 2021 1:17 pm)

May 30, 2021 2:05 pm  #8

Not sure of the title, but they played another one this weekend. Also seems to be a lot of Paul Anka. 

May 30, 2021 2:41 pm  #9

You're definitely right about Anka ... 18 out of 21 weeks before this weekend, and one week he played two Anka songs.

May 30, 2021 2:47 pm  #10

If memory serves, there was yet another Anka tune this week, as well. 

May 30, 2021 3:06 pm  #11

Just remembered your question about the expletive ... definitely sounds like he said it. I'm hearing it a lot more on tv than I used to, but I'm surprised it was left in a prerecorded radio show especially given the stations that run it. 

May 30, 2021 4:48 pm  #12

Lorne wrote:

Just remembered your question about the expletive ... definitely sounds like he said it. I'm hearing it a lot more on tv than I used to, but I'm surprised it was left in a prerecorded radio show especially given the stations that run it. 

I've heard this particular word, used on both CNN (Dana Bash/guests) and by MSNBC (guests) more than once in the last few months.  While not a regular occurence,  what was noteworthy (for me anyway) was the lack of any reference to the language;  either later in the broadcast or on future shows.   

It is not so much an issue for me;  but yet another reminder that "the times they are a changing".

Last edited by Media Observer (May 30, 2021 5:02 pm)

May 30, 2021 5:19 pm  #13

I'm not against the word, either. I was just a bit surprised no one caught it. Clearly, someone had to audition the clip in order to run it and should have heard it in the background. 

Some might say I'm making too big a deal out of this and they're probably right. But I'm sensitive to this stuff for a very specific reason. A number of years ago, I was producing an hour-long show that ran every Sunday on a major Toronto radio station. One week, I finished it up on a Friday, put the tape in the control room and left. 

But sometime during the weekend, I became convinced that I'd missed an edit somewhere. No swear words, just a second take that should have been fixed. It tortured me so much that, despite a precious summer weekend, I went all the way back downtown to the station on a Saturday afternoon, grabbed the tape that was supposed to air the next day, and listened to the entire thing. 

In the end, it wasn't there, there was no error and everything was fine. But I always think back to that day whenever I hear a pre-recorded show and realize how easy it is in the heat of a deadline to let something untoward slip through. I'm guessing that's what happened in this case. 

May 30, 2021 9:23 pm  #14

A few years ago we did a thread about swear words on TV and radio, and how some words have lost their taboo status over time. I was mentioning that I found it almost amusing that the word "shit" is still considered verboten on network television, considering it's such an everyday word that doesn't really offend many people nowadays, and also the fact that "piss" (which I considered to be on the same level) has been uttered on network television since about the mid-1990's.

I suspect most posters on this board are probably more amused than offended by Roger's use of the word, most likely because Roger is considered "old school", and his use of the word seems out of place more than anything else.

I remember one time when I was working at CHML I was watching Phil Hitchcock record some spots. Phil was one of the nice, smooth, reassuring voices on the easy-listening CKDS Stereo 95 for many years. In the midst of recording his voice track, he flubbed his lines and utter the words, "Ah...F***K!!!!!"

I howled with laughter, just because it was an expletive I never expected to hear from that grandfatherly-like voice. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

May 30, 2021 9:52 pm  #15

I remember hearing a pre-recorded local events show on a Saturday morning on FM 108. Halfway through, I heard what sounded like the news reader falling off her chair. She dusted herself off, got back on the chair and finished her report. She didn't bother to edit out the part where she fell so that's how it ran on air. Amused, I listened to the repeat of this broadcast a few hours later. It ran just as it did earlier. Nobody had faulted it.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 30, 2021 10:48 pm  #16

grilled.cheese wrote:

This Ashby fellow shouldn't allow vulgarity to pollute the airwaves.

I still get a kick when Mike Stafford deftly skates around the swear word police and just says "shite" instead of shit.

And then you have all the french canadian "swears" mais that's a whole nother kettle of poutine...

May 31, 2021 12:12 pm  #17

Bentwater wrote:

SOWNY commentators discussing Roger Ashby?

Hahaha, and both look grumpy.  There is a possibility that the word was left in on purpose. After all we are adults here are we not.  And words like shit and bullshit do come up on air from time to time.  A colleague of mine recorded an interview with actress Dinah Christie back in 1983.  She referred to her work shoes as shit kickers during the interview, and the host left the term in when the segment aired a few days later. 

May 31, 2021 3:18 pm  #18

Getting back to the original issue regarding Concrete And Clay ... I heard it today via the iHeart app, and used Shazam to find out what version was used. It was Eddie Rambeau's -- and this is despite the fact that in addition to what the caller and Ashby said, the song list for the show at https://jewel885.com/roger-ashby-oldies-show/ also shows that it was supposed to be Unit 4 Plus 2. 
With regards to Cliff Richard, I can understand Ashby playing the first two songs by him because they were both in the top 5 that he featured from this week in 1963. He could obviously have avoided that by choosing a different year instead, but on the other hand the fact that Richard was so successful here that he had two songs in the top 5 at the same time is rather noteworthy -- especially considering how little success he had in the US until the 70s. But I do find it surprising that a third song by him was played at the end of the show. 

June 5, 2021 9:56 pm  #19

This weekend's show is a rerun. Hopefully, a new one next Saturday and Sunday.