sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2021 11:08 pm  #1

Over 40,000

Even though Leafs fans didn't get the win tonight, over FORTY THOUSAND people were watching with Steve Dangle on Sportsnet's YouTube channel by the end of the game, which begs the question, what is the television team doing wrong. It averaged around 35k for a good part of the nail biter, and reached 41k during OT.

That's two Scotiabank arenas full of people.

From an advertising viewpoint, you don't have to watch ads when you watch with Steve, could that be it? If you're an advertiser and you bought time, wouldn't you feel cheated?

Wonder if it'll be more than tonight's 40k watching with Steve for game 7 Monday... #LeafsForever 🤞🏒

ps. Well done Mr. Dangle 👏👏👏

May 30, 2021 2:33 am  #2

Re: Over 40,000

Folks watching  at work. Others sharing TV but the other person doesn't want to watch the wrap-up. And some just using their phones to watch things like YouTube. I often watch YouTube on my 65 " flat screen. In my Chatroom during my Saturday show someone mentioned that he and his wife had just subscribed to YouTube. 

And this is just the beginning. :-)

Most importantly - old fashioned TV, like radio - just don't know what to do about this new thing that is serving the world. Reminds me of when AM music radio didn't know what to do about this new thing called Progressive and Free Form on FM radio. Internet radio has now caused 100s of FM radio stations to go all talk. That would be stereo talk.

Television now, like AM radio then and FM now - believe they have or had a lock on the audience. Oooops! 

Radio and TV don't have to be little box or small screen sitting on a table.....

May 30, 2021 1:47 pm  #3

Re: Over 40,000

I think it's mostly people looking for a free stream who aren't going to pay Sportsnet or the NHL.  A friend was showing the game outdoors with a projector last night and when I told him about gem.cbc.ca showing the game for free he wrote back.  "Good.  This guy is annoying."