sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2021 5:10 pm  #1

CRTC Rules With Big Telcos On Indie ISP Web Access Prices

Is anyone surprised that they backed Bell, Rogers and the rest, over smaller independent ISPs like Teksavvy and others? So much for a government promise to lower Internet rates for consumers. Instead, they caved to blackmail-like threats that the big guys would stop investing in expanding broadband for smaller communities. So in other words, nothing is new!

CRTC rules to uphold rates large telecoms charge small internet providers for access to networks 

May 27, 2021 9:05 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Rules With Big Telcos On Indie ISP Web Access Prices

'Independent ISPs and critics predict this decision will mean higher rates for Canadian Internet access.'

Duh.

There's nothing funny about this ruling, but I laughed out loud when I read the reaction from CRTC Chair Ian Scott when critics predicted prices for web access would be soaring. 

“Why would it go up?” he said. “I’m not buying this – not as a result of the establishment of these rates.” He added that the small telecoms that lowered their prices in anticipation knew the rates weren’t final, and that some of the companies have also raised them back up in the meantime.

“It is up to them to choose their pricing,” he said. “Presumably they all make contingency plans.”

"Why would it go up?" Really? Does he know the business practices of Bell, Rogers and the rest of these greed mongers? Make an anti-consumer ruling if you will, break a government promise to lower rates if you must and completely reverse your own decision from 2019. 

But given the telcos' monopolistic history, don't pretend we all don't know what's coming next.

What an insult to the intelligence of every Canadian consumer. 

CRTC flip-flop on wholesale internet rates could mean higher prices for consumers: critics 

May 28, 2021 9:47 am  #3

One more entry on this, because it continues to really annoy me. And the more I think about what the CRTC did on Thursday, the angrier I become.

The fallout has been immediate for Teksavvy, my ISP (I'm a customer and don't represent them in any other way.) In a terse press release issued hours after the decision, the company admitted it was putting its own expansion plans on hold. "...as a result of today’s CRTC decision, TekSavvy has scrapped plans to offer mobile services and informed Industry, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) that it is dropping out of the upcoming spectrum auction as it scales back investment plans."

One less future cell phone company for you to choose from. How can that be a good thing?

But perhaps renowned media commentator and law professor Michael Geist put it best in a blog entry when he said bluntly that Canadians can no longer trust the CRTC to ever act in their best interest. It's a great column and well worth a read, especially as he lists extensive evidence about why he feels that way. Unless you're Bell, Rogers or Telus, it's tough to argue with his conclusions. 

Michael Geist: This is Who the Canadian Government Wants to Regulate the Internet

And by the way, kudos to Jamil Jivani on his CFRB show Thursday night. He was the only one to mention and condemn this decision on the station, effectively biting the hand that feeds him. I don't think it was reported on by anyone else on the Bell-owned radio station, not even in their newscasts. 

May 28, 2021 11:14 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

And by the way, kudos to Jamil Jivani on his CFRB show Thursday night. He was the only one to mention and condemn this decision on the station, effectively biting the hand that feeds him. I don't think it was reported on by anyone else on the Bell-owned radio station, not even in their newscasts. 

Which reminds me...

I was listening to the last part of the 5 part BBC radio doc about Bob Dylan.  The beeb can be a bit sloppy about their editing and they left in the newscast.

What was the lead story?  The BBC getting raked over the coals about the Diana interview.  To me that came off as damned classy on the BBC's part.

But back to the topic...

I'm so sad to hear about TekSavvy having to pull out of their expansion plans.  I've been with them for years (a 3 digit CID number) until I until pretty much had to change due our move and have been a happy customer.  I even explicitly asked them to leave me on their e-mail lists when I gave them my notice.

That's not to say that Rogers is a terrible provider (even though I had to sick the CCTS on them once already) but I was always, and still am, rooting for TSI.

May 28, 2021 12:43 pm  #5

Here is a story from CBC news that give a more balanced perspective on this.  Also some good related archived articles as well...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-fibre-internet-1.6043109

Last edited by paterson1 (May 28, 2021 12:48 pm)

May 28, 2021 1:20 pm  #6

I just heard Alan Carter comment on this on GNR640, along with a guest, who was less than generous to the CRTC about their decision. So far, I haven't heard a peep beyond Jovani on any other Bell or Rogers station. In fairness, I didn't monitor every one of them around the clock, but it definitely was not in the newscasts I listened to and I got the impression the other hosts would avoid it like COVID-19.

Tough to defend the status quo, given what it means to the average consumer.

May 28, 2021 3:35 pm  #7

Ian Scott, the CRTC Chair, was a former executive and lobbyist for Telus which means he not only had ties to the Big 3, but also mixed with government poobahs in that role. If that doesn't raise suspicions about the ruling - and a possible conflict of interest or undue influence - nothing does. 

On that basis, independent ISP and phone company VMedia is calling for Scott's head. Not surprisingly, they won't get it. But it's still fun to hear them ask for it. 

"This is an unprecedented reversal by any tribunal in Canada," said Alexei Tchernobrivets, CEO of VMedia. "The decision raises serious doubts about the leadership and competence of the CRTC, and the integrity of its process, and sells out Canadians to benefit the dominant players. CRTC Chairman Ian Scott should resign, and Parliament should launch an immediate investigation into this incoherent outcome and whether political and corporate influence impacted this decision."

VMedia Calls for Resignation of CRTC Chairman: "This Decision Sells Out Canadians to Big Telecom"

June 2, 2021 1:10 am  #8

Calls for federal government to reverse decision on internet wholesale rates, fire CRTC head
https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/calls-for-federal-government-to-reverse-decision-on-internet-wholesale-rates-fire-crtc-head

August 4, 2021 11:34 am  #9

The Big Telcos who appealed the CRTC's decision giving price breaks to independents (like Teksavvy) for access to their networks insisted they needed the money to expand their high-speed networks to small towns and Indigenous communities. They further stated they wouldn't be able to do it if the Commission refused to rescind their previous order because it would cost them too much money. (The irony of Bell & Rogers crying poor!)

As we all know, new Chair Ian Scott - a former telco lobbyist - stunned the country by completely reversing the Commission's previous ruling with no real explanation. 

And now we learn from the entity's own press release that the CRTC is doling out more than $20 million to - you guessed it - Rogers, Bell and others to help pay for - surprise! - expansion into the very areas they threatened to abandon because they supposedly couldn't afford it. 

Instead, they got their anti-competition request and all this taxpayer money. 

And if you ever wondered whose side the Commission is on or if the fix was in, this should remove almost all doubt.

CRTC Broadband Fund Money press release

August 4, 2021 5:51 pm  #10

What is happening with the CRTC under Ian Scot is embarrassing and its setting a very dangerous precedent. Every Canadian should be aware and kicking up a stink about this. 

August 25, 2021 1:09 pm  #11

And the results of this outrageous but predictable decision will be felt this fall for those of us on TekSavvy, with more independent providers surely to follow suit. Three bucks a month more as of October will add up quickly. 

TekSavvy Increasing Internet Prices in October, Blames CRTC Siding with Big Telecom

September 17, 2021 1:25 pm  #12

September 17, 2021 2:32 pm  #13

The independents did exactly what I said they should do.  They took out a full page ad in last Saturday's National Post in the" A" section.  Perfect, the ad was simple,  and got their message out clearly right before the election.  The ad encouraged the reader to vote for someone or party who wants to lower internet rates and increase fair competition.

The smaller companies will still have a real uphill battle with the appeal.  Regardless what anyone thinks of Bell, Rogers etc, they were forced to let the small operators use their equipment and systems. Sort of like you building a new backyard inground pool, and the city notifies you that you will need to let everyone in the low rise apartment down the street use your pool anytime.  They will pay but their apartment can't afford their own pool so rates will be priced accordingly. 

Also if I were one of the independents I wouldn't make a big issue out of a $3 increase.  When was the last time they had an increase?  This is dangerous since the big players have spent billions upgrading their systems and will hammer home that they are doing all of the work and spending the big money and they have every right to increase rates to the independents if they can prove that costs have gone up and that they aren't receiving market value for the use of their technology.  The sorry fact that Bell, Rogers, Shaw, etc make billions in profit will not be the issue with the court.  

Last edited by paterson1 (September 17, 2021 3:08 pm)

April 14, 2022 7:25 pm  #14

The government had one last chance to keep its own promises to lower your Internet and phone bills in considering an appeal of a previous questionable and highly controversial CRTC decision - which in itself was a reversal of a conclusion the Commission itself had made. 

They completely and deliberately didn't consider a reversal and are leaving all of us in the proverbial lurch. This despite the vow in previous election campaigns of lower cell phone bills for all consumers and increased competition.

Do you need any more proof of who's really in charge of setting rates?

I suppose CRTC Chair Ian Scott (a former lobbyist for Telus) is out having victory drinks with the Bell CEO again

Feds Side with CRTC on MVNO Access, Big Telecom Wins Again