sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2021 10:21 am  #1

Do You Subscribe To Amazon Prime Video? You'll Want To Know This

The world's most successful online retailer has bought one of the world's biggest film collections. Amazon will soon be the owner of MGM, paying an astounding $8.45 billion for its incredible collection of movies (including the James Bond franchise) and TV shows. It plans to stream them on its Amazon Prime Video Services, which comes with the price of Amazon Prime. 

I've read a number of articles about this since the news came out, but none has addressed the one question that immediately came to my mind: What, if anything, does this mean for Turner Classic Movies, aka TCM, the cable channel that relies heavily on MGM's film library for much of its classic movie inventory? Will they still be allowed to buy the rights to classics like "Singing In The Rain," "The Thin Man," "Mutiny on the Bounty," "Ben Hur," "Doctor Zhivago" and "The Wizard of Oz" just to name a few out of hundreds and hundreds of famous titles?

This will certainly add a lot of viewing options for Amazon subscribers, but I also can't help but wonder if a price increase is coming to pay for this expensive purchase. And will all these titles be available in Canada or has some other outlet already claimed them in this country? This purchase certainly strengthens Amazon's service, but whether it will help it attain parity with giants like Netflix or Disney+ is another matter. 

Amazon to buy MGM, studio behind James Bond and ‘Shark Tank’

May 26, 2021 3:55 pm  #2

Re: Do You Subscribe To Amazon Prime Video? You'll Want To Know This

The article mentioned that most of MGM's pre 1948 movie catalogue is owned by Warner Brothers.

May 26, 2021 4:05 pm  #3

You'd think if Amazon is going to buy MGM for an outrageous amount of money, they'd want the entire catalogue. 

Here's the list of all MGM films, going back to the 1920s.

MGM Film List

May 26, 2021 4:18 pm  #4

The topic header is a bit misleading... if you subscribe to Amazon Prime, you're already a Prime Video, Music and Book subscriber automatically.  Not everyone uses it.  I was that way for about a year and then I clued in!!!

Now, one thing about Prime Video is that they have tiers... Have Prime, you can watch all this stuff.. want Britbox or Stack or Smithsonian shows.. then pony up $$.  Wouldn't be surprised if this rolls out in that fashion.

May 26, 2021 6:30 pm  #5

There is already a MGM channel on Prime Video 

May 26, 2021 7:30 pm  #6

cash wrote:

There is already a MGM channel on Prime Video 

The MGM subscription channel isn't that great. The MGM movies they offer are the sort of midrange middle of a weekend afternoon seen it a couple of times movie fare you get on cable tv. I tried the free month's trial and dumped it after two and a half weeks.

Brit Box is the only channel I'd consider subscribing to on Amazon.

I'd rather have HBO than Amazon Prime. If it wasn't included I wouldn't subscribe.

May 26, 2021 11:28 pm  #7

I STILL say somebody's gonna buy out somebody, reducing the competition somewhat. 
It won't be a Netflix-Disney Plus-MGM/Amazon-Others world forever.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 27, 2021 9:02 am  #8

It's going to be another heavy blow to physical media.

May 27, 2021 9:24 am  #9

Chrisphen wrote:

That battle is already over.  BluRay for movies and SACD for music never had a chance in any kind of big way.  What they were supposed to replace was good enough, but eventually streaming became way sexier on both counts.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 27, 2021 2:19 pm  #10

Jody Thornton wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

That battle is already over.

Indeed, it is. The end is already near for standard network TV. And it’s their own fault.

While I can understand why streaming may be better (you can watch what you want, when you want, bingeing an entire season at once, seeing more adventurous programming, no ads, etc.) I always believed the major networks could still compete.  But looking at the season ahead that was just announced last week, it’s easy to understand why the numbers keep dropping like a stone.

The major complaint I have is that there’s so little originality and so many do-overs are bowing to political correctness. Everything, it seems, is either a remake or a spinoff. And in at least one case, both.  

Consider: 

-The CW has retreads of Kung Fu, Dynasty and Walker (former Texas Ranger) currently showing. (The first one features a main character who is a woman, unlike the original.)  

-This summer, Fox is bringing back Fantasy Island for a third run. (There was also a 1998 version with Malcolm McDowell as the main character.) In this case, Mr. Roarke is now Ms. Roarke, played by a woman. (This seems to be a common theme. Magnum P.I., another CBS remake, has an actress playing the role of Higgins.) 

-The Equalizer has returned to CBS with, you guessed it, a female in the lead role.  

-ABC is bringing back The Wonder Years, this time telling the story of a black family in Alabama in the 1960s.

-CBS is reuniting the old cast of the original CSI in a show dubbed CSI: Las Vegas (That’s the remake and spinoff I was referring to.) 

-There’s another FBI show on CBS, taking over the entire primetime schedule Tuesdays, while Dick Wolf’s other franchise, Law & Order, welcomes yet a third L&O titled newcomer to dominate all of Thursday on NBC.  

-The CW will be offering up a Christmas special remake of “The Homecoming,” the 1971 TV movie that inspired The Waltons. That guy who plays the teen Kevin in ”This Is Us” will play John Boy in the new edition but with original narrator Earl Hamner now deceased, who will take on that voiceover role? None other than Richard Thomas, who played John Boy in the original long running CBS series.  

With all these same old/same old on offer, no wonder people are seeking alternatives, even if they have to pay for them.  

Even shows that offer some originality are deserting free TV.  

-CBS will air about five new “Clarice” episodes (itself based on the Jody Foster character in The Silence of the Lambs) before it moves to its streaming service Paramount Plus.  

-Evil, an Eye network original and critical hit last year, won’t be returning to free TV, but will go to Paramount as well.

-And the long missing-in-action Seth MacFarlane sci-fi show “The Orville” won’t be back on Fox, but will move to Hulu in the States instead whenever it finally returns. A Rogers rep assured me more than a year ago that the company held onto the Canadian rights and will still show it on City TV if and when it ever comes back, but there are no guarantees.  

With all these remakes and unoriginal copies of old familiar shows (which is exactly why they do it), there’s getting less and less reason to watch regular free TV. And the networks have no one to blame but themselves. (Although because they each own their own streaming services, perhaps that’s not an accident.)

May 27, 2021 6:59 pm  #11

It is interesting to note that NBC has no sitcoms planned for the upcoming season.  The network that gave us classics like Frasier, Cheers, Seinfeld, The Office, 30 Rock and many more will have none this coming year.

And the fact that some series on US network broadcast television are getting renewed with sometimes under 3 million viewers indicates that the cupboards are bare.

However, for CBC, CTV, Global and City this is an opportunity for them to take advantage of our somewhat more liberal or daring programming guidelines.   For decades Canadian broadcast TV has allowed more adventurous themed programming with fewer restrictions on language, nudity and situations than US network programming.  This has allowed unedited shows on network TV here that would never be shown south of the border on OTA network programming.

More importantly with imported network programming becoming less and less popular is an opportunity for the networks here to expand domestic productions.  As we have seen, Canadian programming is being sold around the world to streaming services and networks like never before.  And many of the most popular are set in Canada and while not dwelling on Canadian themes, also not hiding them either.  The opportunities for international production partnerships are almost limitless, and with our top notch studios, crews and low dollar, even more so.

Bell, Rogers and domestic production companies are hopefully understanding the way to make money is to create content and sell it around the world.  It is hard work, you will fail many times, but when it happens, the payoff is huge. The days of making money off of imports for Canadian networks is becoming harder and the business model is starting to show it's limitations and will certainly continue to slide.

So OTA networks here have an opportunity that others don't.  Hope they take advantage.

Last edited by paterson1 (May 27, 2021 7:16 pm)