sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2021 2:24 pm  #31

Re: 102.9 Bounces into a new format

markow202 wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

I think they'll win the gamble. The classic hits mix is actually probably more appealing to a lot of long-time K-LITE P1's, and Boom 97.3 is absolutely huge in Toronto's surrounding markets if you look beyond local stations in the ratings. 

Boom 97.3 doesn't have the greatest signal in the Hamilton area too, so that'll probably be an added bonus for 102.9.

PJ

How can their signal be bad in Hamilton?  Its just down the pond. 

It's more prone to interference than some of the other FM's, compared to CHUM, CHFI and Q107. With a less than ideal radio or setup, it can come in kind of fuzzy.

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (May 19, 2021 2:38 pm)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

May 19, 2021 7:18 pm  #32

radiokid wrote:

SOFT AC or "BREEZE" is really covered by Jewel 92.  The numbers in Hamilton for Jewel are non-existent really and to be honest...   SOFT AC isn't really what works today in Hamilton.   

Jewel is not an indication anywhere as to whether SOFT AC can work. It's just not programmed for ratings.

If you want an apples-to-apples comparison, Halifax saw the launch of Jewel and Stingray's Breeze within days of each other. In the latest book, Breeze was a 6.0 and Jewel was a 0.3

May 19, 2021 9:24 pm  #33

A quick summary of Bell Media's radio format consolidations (including Bounce) to date:

https://blog.fagstein.com/2021/05/

May 19, 2021 10:26 pm  #34

Bell is making radio DULL again.

There. I said it.

May 19, 2021 11:15 pm  #35

Radiowiz wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Boom 97.3 doesn't have the greatest signal in the Hamilton area too, so that'll probably be an added bonus for 102.9.
PJ

" It drives Energy 95.3 to continue to be very new music driven. 
I can't think of anyone in the area that might now choose to be more "Breeze" driven, but it's a potential hole to fill."

I think Energy 95.3 would do much better in ratings if they concentrated on Hamilton and being a Hamilton radio station instead of trying to make it a Toronto station. 

May 19, 2021 11:24 pm  #36

ckg927 wrote:

Bell is making radio DULL again.

There. I said it.

Bell radio: Velveeta trying to pass as double Brie. (with some exceptions of coarse, er, um, course!)

May 20, 2021 1:22 pm  #37

RadioAaron wrote:

radiokid wrote:

SOFT AC or "BREEZE" is really covered by Jewel 92.  The numbers in Hamilton for Jewel are non-existent really and to be honest...   SOFT AC isn't really what works today in Hamilton.   

Jewel is not an indication anywhere as to whether SOFT AC can work. It's just not programmed for ratings.

If you want an apples-to-apples comparison, Halifax saw the launch of Jewel and Stingray's Breeze within days of each other. In the latest book, Breeze was a 6.0 and Jewel was a 0.3

but sadly Hamilton is no Halifax...   The people in Hamilton in 2021 are not people who will see soft ac as the go to.   I think a full market study would need to be done and perhaps would prove me wrong..    Country, Rock and Classic hits are the 3 formats that score well in that market from research I have seen.     Hamilton's #1 stations are all out of market...  (they don't count.. but it's a realty.)     It's a result of Hamilton becoming a bedroom city for Toronto and Toronto signals blasting into Hamilton.    By the way Boom's signal doesn't seem to bug a lot of people, because they scored very well in Hamilton from what I've seen. 

Halifax really never had a true AC station at the time either..   C100 was always hot ac in recent years.   Breeze being programmed well, is why it also does well in Halifax as well.   There is a identifiable difference between C100 and Breeze. 

Last edited by radiokid (May 20, 2021 1:24 pm)

May 20, 2021 4:36 pm  #38

Media Observer wrote:

A quick summary of Bell Media's radio format consolidations (including Bounce) to date:

https://blog.fagstein.com/2021/05/

I would LOVE 97.7 to become the Bear! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 20, 2021 6:41 pm  #39

radiokid wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

radiokid wrote:

but sadly Hamilton is no Halifax...   The people in Hamilton in 2021 are not people who will see soft ac as the go to.   I think a full market study would need to be done and perhaps would prove me wrong..    Country, Rock and Classic hits are the 3 formats that score well in that market from research I have seen.     Hamilton's #1 stations are all out of market...  (they don't count.. but it's a realty.)     It's a result of Hamilton becoming a bedroom city for Toronto and Toronto signals blasting into Hamilton.    By the way Boom's signal doesn't seem to bug a lot of people, because they scored very well in Hamilton from what I've seen. 

Halifax really never had a true AC station at the time either..   C100 was always hot ac in recent years.   Breeze being programmed well, is why it also does well in Halifax as well.   There is a identifiable difference between C100 and Breeze. 

Not saying Hamilton is ripe for Soft AC (probably not), just that Jewel is useless as a barometer.

May 20, 2021 6:49 pm  #40

radiokid wrote:

Hamilton's #1 stations are all out of market...  (they don't count.. but it's a realty.)     It's a result of Hamilton becoming a bedroom city for Toronto and Toronto signals blasting into Hamilton.    By the way Boom's signal doesn't seem to bug a lot of people, because they scored very well in Hamilton from what I've seen. 

Local stations are #2, 3 and 4 in Hamilton, but Boom is #1, by quite a bit.

Boom 10.9
K-Lite 7.9
KX 7.0
Y108 6.4
Edge 5.0
Energy 5.0

The first Toronto AC/Hot AC is CHFI at 3.3

This proves two things:
1. LOCAL MATTERS
2. The market for a local Classic Hits is potentially huge. Bell didn't do this all willy-nilly; it makes sense.

May 21, 2021 8:56 am  #41

RadioAaron wrote:

radiokid wrote:

Hamilton's #1 stations are all out of market...  (they don't count.. but it's a realty.)     It's a result of Hamilton becoming a bedroom city for Toronto and Toronto signals blasting into Hamilton.    By the way Boom's signal doesn't seem to bug a lot of people, because they scored very well in Hamilton from what I've seen. 

Local stations are #2, 3 and 4 in Hamilton, but Boom is #1, by quite a bit.

Boom 10.9
K-Lite 7.9
KX 7.0
Y108 6.4
Edge 5.0
Energy 5.0

The first Toronto AC/Hot AC is CHFI at 3.3

This proves two things:
1. LOCAL MATTERS
2. The market for a local Classic Hits is potentially huge. Bell didn't do this all willy-nilly; it makes sense.

I would love to know your ratings source. The Toronto Ratings show Hamilton signals as a "Spill Station" The Hamilton numbers I have seen show St. Catharines but nothing from Toronto.

May 22, 2021 5:59 pm  #42

mace wrote:

I would love to know your ratings source. The Toronto Ratings show Hamilton signals as a "Spill Station" The Hamilton numbers I have seen show St. Catharines but nothing from Toronto.

Hmmm...that's odd. Radio Aaron usually knows what he is talking about.

May 22, 2021 6:37 pm  #43

'50s, '60s and '70s are classified as oldies...'70s, '80s and '90s are referred to as classic hits...

Has '80s, '90s and '00s been given a format name yet? 

PJ

May 22, 2021 8:46 pm  #44

Radiowiz wrote:

mace wrote:

Just to clarify. I was not questioning the reliability of Aaron's numbers. I was curious about the source. I would love to see out of market ratings in Hamilton, Toronto etc. if they are available to the general public.

May 23, 2021 4:29 pm  #45

Paul Jeffries wrote:

'50s, '60s and '70s are classified as oldies...'70s, '80s and '90s are referred to as classic hits...

PJ

In the States, some stations are doing a "2K and Today" format. 

2K and back in the day sounds accurate enough, I suppose.

May 23, 2021 8:24 pm  #46

Radiowiz wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

In the States, some stations are doing a "2K and Today" format. 

2K and back in the day sounds accurate enough, I suppose.

I've heard the term "throwback" being thrown around a few times too, but I think that usually refers to non-current r&b/hip-hop/rhythmic stations.

PJ

May 25, 2021 9:42 pm  #47

mace wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

mace wrote:

Just to clarify. I was not questioning the reliability of Aaron's numbers. I was curious about the source. I would love to see out of market ratings in Hamilton, Toronto etc. if they are available to the general public.

They are not available to the general public. Those who use ratings software like Lens or Radius can see them.

As for spill-stations within the Toronto market, that's a bit trickier as Toronto uses PPM but the spill stations don't. There's actually a second diary-based ratings sample in Toronto that includes the spills. This hasn't been done since Spring 2020 and the biggest out-of-towners were KX96 with a 0.8, 94.9 The ROCK with a 0.5 and KX94.7 with a 0.5.

June 29, 2021 12:10 pm  #48

Tuned into 102.9 randomly today.   Im confused.   At one point they aired a commercial for their own morning show announcing it as the "K-lite morning show".   A few mins later, it announced im listening to Bounce Radio.   

June 29, 2021 12:17 pm  #49

markow202 wrote:

Tuned into 102.9 randomly today.   Im confused.   At one point they aired a commercial for their own morning show announcing it as the "K-lite morning show".   A few mins later, it announced im listening to Bounce Radio.   

Wow. Day, of...sure; things happen. 6 weeks later though???

June 29, 2021 12:20 pm  #50

RadioAaron wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Yes. 6 weeks later. Radio is a business first before it can be anything else. 
No need to waste money paying anyone to create a whole new ad when there already is an ad for the same damn thing. 
This is BELL. It costs too much money to delete the word k lite and replace it with bounce. 

June 29, 2021 12:23 pm  #51

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

markow202 wrote:

No need to waste money paying anyone to create a whole new ad when there already is an ad for the same damn thing. 
This is BELL. It costs too much money to delete the word k lite and replace it with bounce. 

Thats so unprofessional of them considering it was an ad that THEY made in house (if they do.)  On the weekend ill see what 104.1 "The Dock" up north has done.  It should have remained under that name anyways.  

June 29, 2021 10:55 pm  #52

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Well that was certainly a bunch of words.

June 30, 2021 6:49 am  #53

RadioAaron wrote:

Well that was certainly a bunch of words.

A  bunch of words? Certainly not a bunch of BS. 
They had 6 weeks, so surely you're not buying the "we're only human" crap!