sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 13, 2021 1:59 pm  #1

Without Schitt's Creek & Kim's Convenience, Can CBC Find A New Hit?

It's not often Variety highlights Canadian TV, let alone the CBC. But this article looks at the perplexing task of how hard it will be for the national broadcaster to find hits as big as the two worldwide successes that ended their runs this season. (Kind of ironic, I thought, that the word "Global" appears in the headline. Also that "Convenience" is misspelled in the title.)

Variety: With ‘Schitt’s Creek’ and ‘Kim’s Covenience’ Over, Can Canada Deliver Its Next Global Hit?

May 13, 2021 3:44 pm  #2

Re: Without Schitt's Creek & Kim's Convenience, Can CBC Find A New Hit?

RadioActive wrote:

It's not often Variety highlights Canadian TV, let alone the CBC. But this article looks at the perplexing task of how hard it will be for the national broadcaster to find hits as big as the two worldwide successes that ended their runs this season. (Kind of ironic, I thought, that the word "Global" appears in the headline. Also that "Convenience" is misspelled in the title.)

Variety: With ‘Schitt’s Creek’ and ‘Kim’s Covenience’ Over, Can Canada Deliver Its Next Global Hit?

It'll come eventually, though it may or may not come from a conventional TV broadcaster.

There was a solid 6-year gap after Corner Gas ended before Schitt's Creek started. There may be another gap, but I'm sure there will be another Canadian hit.

May 13, 2021 5:17 pm  #3

We are really in a golden age of cancon whether you want to believe it or not.  By any comparison, or metric, more Canadian productions are being bought, watched and streamed all over the world than ever before.  And guess what?  Many of the most popular shows are actually set in Canada! 

Will there be another Schitt's Creek or Kim's Convenience?  Absolutely, Letterkenny in most ways already is.  Internationally Canadian programs are accepted and enjoyed...now if we could just get Canadian media and the Canadian TV industry to promote and celebrate our programming more and stop complaining and whining about regulations, maybe Canadians will start watching more domestic programming. 

May 13, 2021 6:08 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

...now if we could just get Canadian media and the Canadian TV industry to promote and celebrate our programming more and stop complaining and whining about regulations, maybe Canadians will start watching more domestic programming. 

Exactly!

May 13, 2021 8:21 pm  #5

Dial Twister wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

...now if we could just get Canadian media and the Canadian TV industry to promote and celebrate our programming more and stop complaining and whining about regulations, maybe Canadians will start watching more domestic programming. 

Exactly!

Very true. Even though Corner Gas was a big hit for CTV, it still got bounced around on their schedule to make way for simsubbed American shows.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

May 13, 2021 9:04 pm  #6

The new Nicole Power and Andrew Phung sitcoms will attract curious Kim's Convenience fans who will stay if they're any good. 

May 13, 2021 10:09 pm  #7

Hansa wrote:

The new Nicole Power and Andrew Phung sitcoms will attract curious Kim's Convenience fans who will stay if they're any good. 

A big if. Very few spin-offs end up in the league of Frasier.

There were several shows involving various Seinfeld cast members following the end of Seinfeld, I presume hoping to follow the success of Frasier. All of them bombed.

On a different note, I’m surprised Young Sheldon has lasted as long as it has.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (May 13, 2021 10:10 pm)

May 13, 2021 10:59 pm  #8

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Hansa wrote:

A big if. Very few spin-offs end up in the league of Frasier.

There were several shows involving various Seinfeld cast members following the end of Seinfeld, I presume hoping to follow the success of Frasier. All of them bombed.

On a different note, I’m surprised Young Sheldon has lasted as long as it has.

On a related note - how many spinoffs of scripted Canadian TV shows have their been? (Power's Strays is a full-fledged spinoff. Phung's Run the Burbs isn't- he plays a new character and it's a different production team). The only one I can think of are the various spinoffs of  The Kids Of Degrassi Street.

Last edited by Hansa (May 13, 2021 10:59 pm)

May 15, 2021 8:00 pm  #9

I think that "Pretty Hard Cases" is a definite hit.  Great acting and superb writing.  Looking forward to next season.   The series was created by Tassie Cameron and Sherry White.  One of the best things that CBC has ever done; in my estimation.

Last edited by John D (May 15, 2021 8:00 pm)