sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2021 4:59 pm  #1

"You Be A Disc Jockey" - Yes, This Was An Actual LP!

I just discovered this classic LP, which is highlighted on YouTube.

It's an album from 1963 called "You Be A Disc Jockey." It came with a record bed, a script, commercials and jingles, liners, special greetings from then-current music stars, a phony station (WBDJ,) along with a very annoying sound effect that indicated when you, the aspiring jock, was supposed to come in and do your thing. 

I can't believe the Bobby Rydell "interview" that comes in around the 6 minute-mark.

I suppose it harkens back to that era some of us went through at an early age, practicing into a tape recorder with a record player nearby. It's incredible, but somebody must have bought this thing! 

May 3, 2021 5:32 pm  #2

Re: "You Be A Disc Jockey" - Yes, This Was An Actual LP!

Early age?   Well, ok.  I don't record myself announcing -- ummm -- anymore.

How about hitting the post introing a song playing in the car without even realizing your doing it?  I've been caught a few times by passengers.

It's a cute idea for an album, though.

Hey, remember a few years ago when someone here posted a link to a website that had a virtual radio station with carts, spots, and bits you could fire at will and create a program?

May 3, 2021 5:36 pm  #3

Yeah, that was me who posted it a long time ago. It was a fan site for WRC Washington. It's still online, but the problem is Adobe Flash has been discontinued and it no longer appears - unless you still happen to have it on your machine and can get it to work. But it sure was fun while it was there. The guy notes on the home page of that site that he's working on figuring out how to replace it with something else. So who knows? Maybe one day it will be back.

https://www.98wrc.com/ctlroom.htm

May 3, 2021 9:24 pm  #4

Yup.  That was the one.  Thanks RA.  Some old board-op friends and I got a real kick out of it.

I fiddled with it a bit and tried running it with Ruffle (a flash emulator) on chrome but it didn't work.  Oh well.

But back to the album, considering it was from 1963, I can imagine some young kid with asperations getting a kick out of (for a short while) as a gift.

May 3, 2021 11:24 pm  #5

"Adobe flashplayer no longer supported"  That's too bad...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 4, 2021 6:52 am  #6

I loved the weather forecast. Snow with temperatures in the 90's.

May 6, 2021 11:54 pm  #7

Thanks to Alan Cross for the nice SOWNY shout-out in the post below. And yeah, I probably would have bought this LP, too!

Here’s how you could pretend to be a radio DJ in 1963