sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2021 12:13 am  #1

An Incredible Documentary On The Wrecking Crew Is Free Online

Name a hit song from the 60s and they probably played on it. The breadth of hits turned out by the group of musicians known as The Wrecking Crew is simply breathtaking.

Consider: 

-Be My Baby
-This Diamond Ring
-Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime
-Somethin' Stupid
-Johnny Angel
-Donna
-Aquarius/Let The Sun Shine In
-Bridge Over Troubled Water
-Wichita Lineman
-Good Vibrations
-California Dreamin'
-Midnight Confessions
-And every hit record from The Association

Just to name a few.

The documentary on this incredible group of session musicians has been online for about two years, but I just found it a few days ago. Unfortunately, while it's free, it's also geoblocked in Canada so you'll need a VPN set to the U.S. to see it. It is a tremendous piece of work and I literally could not stop watching it, as these incredibly talented session people recalled their origins, the highlights of their careers - and the stories behind some of music's most classic hits. I hope most here will be able to see it. It runs an hour and 40 minutes and it's worth every second of your time.

You can find it on YouTube here.

April 30, 2021 9:07 am  #2

Re: An Incredible Documentary On The Wrecking Crew Is Free Online

Thanks for posting this RA. It is definitely NOT a waste of 100 minutes of your life. When I watched many of these groups perform on Ed Sullivan. American Bandstand etc. I sometimes wondered if they were playing their own instruments. After watching this doc, clearly that was not the case. a lot of lip synching too.

April 30, 2021 1:22 pm  #3

An excellent production;  full of great interviews, music and little known facts.

I've watched it a couple of times on the Documentary Channel.

April 30, 2021 1:36 pm  #4

The thing that really surprised me was just how many songs they played on that I had no clue about. They could easily do a Top 100 of All Time with just songs The Wrecking Crew was involved in. Although 100 would almost certainly not be enough. 

For example, here's a list of tunes that Wrecking Crew drummer Hal Blaine played on. It's almost unbelievable there could be so many. What a legacy.

Hal Blaine: Every No. 1 Hit The Wrecking Crew Drummer Played On

April 30, 2021 6:44 pm  #5

Just an added note.  If you want to spend a few bucks this is also available on DVD.

April 30, 2021 7:07 pm  #6

Y'all must be running on VPNs.

Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

April 30, 2021 7:18 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Unfortunately, while it's free, it's also geoblocked in Canada so you'll need a VPN set to the U.S. to see it.

You may have missed this reference in my original post. As noted, a VPN is necessary to watch it, something I only occasionally run into on YouTube. Unfortunately, this is one of those times.

Being an inveterate cheapskate, I resisted getting a VPN for many years. But now that I have one, I can't imagine going online without it. They're not that expensive and they really do open up the world if you choose a good one. I use Nord VPN, but there are others. 

April 30, 2021 7:33 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Unfortunately, while it's free, it's also geoblocked in Canada so you'll need a VPN set to the U.S. to see it.

You may have missed this reference in my original post.

Indeed I did, RA. I confess to being overwhelmed with incoming, and self-inflicted, information. I'll slow down my reading.

April 30, 2021 8:00 pm  #9

I've been using Malwarebytes Premium Anti-Malware for years. Lately, they've been bugging me to install their relatively new Malwarebytes Privacy VPN, which I just did. Easy peasy, and incredibly inexpensive.

US$79.99/year to install on up to five devices - desktops, laptops, tablets, phones. That works out to US$1.33/month each.

P.S. I'm watching The Wrecking Crew right now. Thanks.

April 30, 2021 8:23 pm  #10

The Wrecking Crew bassist Carol Kaye blows off interview with JazzFM host Ronnie Littlejohn March 19, 2021. At the 44 minute mark.

https://m.soundcloud.com/r-littlejohn/gumbo-kitchen-march-19-2021

May 1, 2021 7:05 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

You may have missed this reference in my original post. As noted, a VPN is necessary to watch it, something I only occasionally run into on YouTube. Unfortunately, this is one of those times.

Being an inveterate cheapskate, I resisted getting a VPN for many years. But now that I have one, I can't imagine going online without it. They're not that expensive and they really do open up the world if you choose a good one. I use Nord VPN, but there are others. 

Express VPN would be another excellent choice.

May 1, 2021 10:35 am  #12

Would any of these VPN apps work if you're going through a Rogers router/modem?

Last edited by alangee (May 1, 2021 10:35 am)

May 1, 2021 11:00 am  #13

alangee wrote:

Yes. My internet service comes from Rogers. Nord VPN has introductory offer of 2 years for $89 US. Express VPN is a bit more expensive. Their beginner's offer is 15 months for the price of 12. $100 US.

May 1, 2021 11:02 am  #14

mace wrote:

alangee wrote:

Yes. My internet service comes from Rogers. Nord VPN has introductory offer of 2 years for $89 US. Express VPN is a bit more expensive. Their beginner's offer is 15 months for the price of 12. $100 US.

Thanks, Mace. I'll give it a go!!

May 1, 2021 11:06 am  #15

67GreenRambler wrote:

The Wrecking Crew bassist Carol Kaye blows off interview with JazzFM host Ronnie Littlejohn March 19, 2021. At the 44 minute mark.

https://m.soundcloud.com/r-littlejohn/gumbo-kitchen-march-19-2021

Very interesting, indeed.  While it took him almost 5 minutes to get to the point, it was an fascinating story.  

May 2, 2021 9:12 pm  #16

Courtesy of The Oldies Music Board, here's a link to a version that should work for people in Canada. 
https://youtu.be/tt24w-L-1c8

May 3, 2021 2:57 pm  #17

Lorne wrote:

Courtesy of The Oldies Music Board, here's a link to a version that should work for people in Canada. 

Well done;  works fine.

May 3, 2021 3:38 pm  #18

mace wrote:

alangee wrote:

i use SurfShark VPN.

introductory offer is C$73.37 for 2 years (that's C$3.06/month)

https://surfshark.com/

May 3, 2021 3:41 pm  #19

Lorne wrote:

Thank you Lorne! I wasn't aware there was a separate version of it on YouTube. It's definitely worth a watch whatever side of the border you're on. The sheer volume of tunes they played on is simply staggering. In fact, on Ashby's Oldies Show this week, he noted that Crew members Glen Campbell & Leon Russell both played on Terry Black's "Unless You Care," a 1964 CanCon record before there even was CanCon. Which explains that amazing guitar performance you hear throughout the song. It's a terrific tune and knowing it was Campbell plucking those strings just makes it better.