sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2021 9:51 am  #1

The Dumbest Argument: Is It Up Or Down The Dial?

OK, I admit it. I sometimes get into the stupidest arguments about the most irrelevant things. And so it was that a friend and I were discussing a conundrum that has divided mankind since the beginning of time – mainly, when it comes to radio, is it up or down the dial?

I’ve heard both sides of this silly dispute over the years, with some arguing that the upper end of the AM or FM frequencies – say 550 AM or 88.5 FM is up the dial, while 1430 AM or 107.1 FM is down the dial.

But others argue it’s exactly the opposite – that the lower dial positions are actually Up the dial while the opposite is Down.

OK – I give up – which is it? We decided to leave it to the board to decide. I’m sure the assembled multitude here will be able to finally figure this out.

Until it comes up the next time and we go right back to where we started from.     

April 28, 2021 10:13 am  #2

Re: The Dumbest Argument: Is It Up Or Down The Dial?

If the numbers are going up...up the dial? 
Numbers going down...down the dial? 
Would that be a good answer?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 28, 2021 11:55 am  #3

I've always thought of the higher numbers as being up the dial, but that might be because of a favourite station of mine when I was at a young and impressionable age. 
https://torontoist.com/2010/08/vintage_toronto_ads_move_up_your_dial_to_ckfh/

April 28, 2021 12:16 pm  #4

I always thought in terms of Lower and Higher, but that was AM. Lower was home to the gangbusters
signals, while it was easier to get lost (1430) if you were higher.

Agreed, it's really not worth discussing, yet here we are.

April 28, 2021 12:24 pm  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

Who uses a dial anymore to tune into a station?

Oddly enough, younger people, because it's trendy to connect your turntable to a receiver matching its vintage. I know more than a few people from their late 20s to early 40s whose only radio is a 70s era receiver/tuner combo. They use it too (mostly CBC, Flow, Indie.)

April 28, 2021 12:55 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

OK, I admit it. I sometimes get into the stupidest arguments about the most irrelevant things ... 

*chuckles* : )) .. 

April 28, 2021 1:30 pm  #7

grilled.cheese wrote:

Who uses a dial anymore to tune into a station?

It's more a case of an old expression that has survived the technological changes, but I suspect you already know that. It's why you often hear people taking cell phone video of something refer to getting it "on tape," even though tape is now virtually non-existent. It's going to be a generation before those dated expressions fade from the language.  

13 Sayings From The Past That No Modern Kid Will Understand

April 28, 2021 1:55 pm  #8

Does the toilet paper go over or under the roll?

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

April 28, 2021 1:59 pm  #9

I have always considered 550 to be the low end of the dial.

April 28, 2021 3:55 pm  #10

I remember when I used to listen to the Habs games years ago, Dick Irvin would say "the Canadiens are skating left to right on your radio dial."

April 28, 2021 8:40 pm  #11

The higher the number, the farther up the dial, as with the keys of a piano.

Not a dumb argument at all RA, but here's one: even in our advanced age, up until very recently, scientists were debating whether the zebra's distinctive markings are black stripes on a white animal, or white stripes on a black animal... not kidding about this 🧐🦓

Re: toilet paper, under or over, it ends up in the same place... funny to remember this time last year some people were hoarding the stuff...

Last edited by betaylored (April 28, 2021 9:12 pm)