sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 27, 2021 4:15 pm  #1


Turner Nets NHL Rights TV Deal That Includes HBO Max

 

April 27, 2021 6:14 pm  #2


Re: Turner Nets NHL Rights TV Deal That Includes HBO Max

Interesting. A couple notes:
1. Odd that not a single game of the Stanley Cup finals will air on broadcast TV every other year (when it's Turners turn). Makes sense as they don't own a network, but odd nonetheless. 

2. Big loss for NBC. They should've kept Thursday Night Football, and started a 'weeknight' hockey package on their main network. Live content is the only way broadcast survives at this point. Could've supplemented coverage on Peacock which is nothing special at the moment. ESPN's rights will elevate the sport no doubt, so NBC could've piggybacked off that. Whomever is making the decisions clearly wants their broadcast network to die a slow death. 

3. Only four more seasons until the Canadian contracts are negotiated! A lot can change in that time, and I wonder if a major streamer will grab the rights (Netflix, Disney, etc), instead of a Canadian entity. 

 

April 27, 2021 6:32 pm  #3


Re: Turner Nets NHL Rights TV Deal That Includes HBO Max

torontostan wrote:

2. Big loss for NBC. They should've kept Thursday Night Football, and started a 'weeknight' hockey package on their main network. Live content is the only way broadcast survives at this point.  

I agree in principle in terms of long-term planning, but here-and-now NHL hockey isn't going to out-rate a night's worth of prime-time programming on a national level. Maybe in some local markets depending on the matchups, but that would be impractical.


 
 

April 27, 2021 8:14 pm  #4


Re: Turner Nets NHL Rights TV Deal That Includes HBO Max

RadioAaron wrote:

torontostan wrote:

2. Big loss for NBC. They should've kept Thursday Night Football, and started a 'weeknight' hockey package on their main network. Live content is the only way broadcast survives at this point.  

I agree in principle in terms of long-term planning, but here-and-now NHL hockey isn't going to out-rate a night's worth of prime-time programming on a national level. Maybe in some local markets depending on the matchups, but that would be impractical.

Yikes.. just looked up the average viewership for an NHL game on NBC and.... wow. I would've thought at least 2 million, not a couple hundred thousand. The Senators probably get higher ratings than some of the all-American matchups on NBC. But at least 99% of those viewers were live, nobody is going to DVR some hockey game. 
 

 

April 27, 2021 8:24 pm  #5


Re: Turner Nets NHL Rights TV Deal That Includes HBO Max

torontostan wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

torontostan wrote:

2. Big loss for NBC. They should've kept Thursday Night Football, and started a 'weeknight' hockey package on their main network. Live content is the only way broadcast survives at this point.  

I agree in principle in terms of long-term planning, but here-and-now NHL hockey isn't going to out-rate a night's worth of prime-time programming on a national level. Maybe in some local markets depending on the matchups, but that would be impractical.

Yikes.. just looked up the average viewership for an NHL game on NBC and.... wow. I would've thought at least 2 million, not a couple hundred thousand. The Senators probably get higher ratings than some of the all-American matchups on NBC. But at least 99% of those viewers were live, nobody is going to DVR some hockey game. 
 

I think the NHL only gets half reasonable ratings for the playoffs and the Stanley Cup on NBC.  Maybe NBC wasn't as aggressive this time around for the rights since they are closing down the NBC Sports Network in about 8 months.  And I doubt if the NHL would be much of a draw on Peacock. 

 

April 27, 2021 8:51 pm  #6


Re: Turner Nets NHL Rights TV Deal That Includes HBO Max


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.
 
 

April 27, 2021 9:09 pm  #7


Re: Turner Nets NHL Rights TV Deal That Includes HBO Max

The only regular season NHL games on the main NBC network were telecast Sunday afternoons. All the others were on NBCSN. I believe the NHL is getting 850M per season in this new contract. However, I don't know if that is what ESPN is paying or whether that includes the TNT/TBS portion. That works out to almost 6B over the seven years. It will be interesting to see where the NHL ends up. I suspect ESPN will continue to give the NBA primary coverage on the main network with the NHL showing up on ESPN2 for most games.

 

April 27, 2021 9:31 pm  #8


Re: Turner Nets NHL Rights TV Deal That Includes HBO Max

For the general American sports fan weaned on the shorter football season, the hockey season lasts too long, and there's too many games to sustain major viewer support night after night. Even some players, coaches etc, rabid hockey fans and most hockey broadcasters think there's too many games but it comes down to the almighty dollar.

The Stanley Cup finals should be mid May at the latest during a non pandemic year.

Plus, the NHL and their broadcast partners are crap at promoting star players, unlike say the NBA, and as a fast moving, complicated sport hockey does little to explain the intricacies, sheer beauty and skill required to play the game at the NHL level to new or possible fans. We sure could use an updated version of Peter Puck.

Last edited by betaylored (April 27, 2021 9:33 pm)

 

April 27, 2021 10:11 pm  #9


Re: Turner Nets NHL Rights TV Deal That Includes HBO Max

paterson1 wrote:

torontostan wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:


I agree in principle in terms of long-term planning, but here-and-now NHL hockey isn't going to out-rate a night's worth of prime-time programming on a national level. Maybe in some local markets depending on the matchups, but that would be impractical.

Yikes.. just looked up the average viewership for an NHL game on NBC and.... wow. I would've thought at least 2 million, not a couple hundred thousand. The Senators probably get higher ratings than some of the all-American matchups on NBC. But at least 99% of those viewers were live, nobody is going to DVR some hockey game. 
 

I think the NHL only gets half reasonable ratings for the playoffs and the Stanley Cup on NBC.  Maybe NBC wasn't as aggressive this time around for the rights since they are closing down the NBC Sports Network in about 8 months.  And I doubt if the NHL would be much of a draw on Peacock. 

I’ve watched very little NHL on NBC, but from what I’ve heard, the on-air team was not well liked by a lot of people. They had Mike Milbury for a long time, who was often heavily criticized.

 

April 28, 2021 7:32 am  #10


Re: Turner Nets NHL Rights TV Deal That Includes HBO Max

Agree whole heartedly with MJ V's comment. FoxSports seem to have great broadcast crews, especially FSN with Anthony LaPanta and AltitudeTV in Denver with Marc Moser. But they are not ashamed to play up any Canadian connections they have on their crew.