sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 23, 2021 8:09 am  #1

Scan Plan: A Rare Chance To Catch Channel 67 & Its 7 Subcarriers

Of all the stations I can't get regularly with an antenna, the ones I miss the most are those on Channel 67, WBBZ, which offers ME TV, Decades, a few movie channels and more. While it's on virtual channel 67, it really occupies VHF channel 7 and its weak signal does not come in here all that often - usually only on odd occasions during the summer. In fact, I rarely see it more than about seven or eight times a year. 

Which is why on Friday morning I did a double take as I scanned the channels - there it was, coming in just fine with a fairly strong signal strength. In April!

If this is a station you ever wanted to take a look at - or have never scanned into your tuner - this is a rare chance to get it. How long it will last, of course, is literally up in the air. Usually, it's not here long and it could be gone before you read this. So if this interests you, don't wait.  

April 23, 2021 8:54 am  #2

Re: Scan Plan: A Rare Chance To Catch Channel 67 & Its 7 Subcarriers

It truly is a great station. When my parents were around in Oakville, they got it perhaps a dozen times per year. In looking at WBBZ's coverage area, the entire GTA would be considered a tropo only zone. Once you get around the lake to Grimsby, it appears that an outdoor antenna would provide a fairly reliable signal. You would have to travel to St. Catharines for an almost guaranteed signal.                                                                                                                 It is unfortunate that the Metv/Cozi/Antennatv's of the world don't have streaming capability.

April 23, 2021 12:32 pm  #3

Ive only caught it once and I dont even have a VHF antenna (DB4E) - definately was a summer tropo moment.  (Etobicoke).

This station has been talked about so much (and wanted) on forums and critized of their small old tower. 

Last edited by markow202 (April 23, 2021 12:35 pm)

April 23, 2021 1:16 pm  #4

It's the Decades channel I really wish I could get - old shows grouped by when they ran, but far more important, some documentary series highlighting headlines, pop culture, TV shows, music and more during certain pre-chosen years. Original programming you can't see elsewhere, hosted by veteran newsman Bill Kurtis. 

Those I would like to see. 

Decades Channel

April 23, 2021 1:35 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

It's the Decades channel I really wish I could get - old shows grouped by when they ran, but far more important, some documentary series highlighting headlines, pop culture, TV shows, music and more during certain pre-chosen years. Original programming you can't see elsewhere, hosted by veteran newsman Bill Kurtis. 

Those I would like to see. 

Decades Channel

Nice schedule they have of retro shows - so many of these types of channels on OTA I noticed.  Grit, AntennaTV, Charge etc.  

April 23, 2021 2:15 pm  #6

MEH.
It's 2021 people! Catch  WBBZ on IPTV. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 23, 2021 6:58 pm  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

MEH.

According to their website, U.S. viewers who have cable, Fios, Dish or DirectTV  only receive the main channel 67-1. For all the sub-channels an antenna is required.

April 23, 2021 7:48 pm  #8

mace wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

MEH.

According to their website, U.S. viewers who have cable, Fios, Dish or DirectTV  only receive the main channel 67-1. For all the sub-channels an antenna is required.

I am enjoying Antenna tv & others also on IPTV. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.