sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 20, 2021 8:12 am  #1

Tom’s Place

Notice that Tom’s Place has been missing from Moore in the Morning on Newstalk 1010.  Tom always did live call in ads around 7:35 AM.  Even though I found the spot a tune out factor for me, wondering if Tom cancelled his advertising contract with Newstalk 1010.  I know he was also on AM 640 and Zoomer radio. Don’t know if his ads are still heard there.

April 20, 2021 9:02 am  #2

Re: Tom’s Place

Maybe just a pandemic break? 
The website is always open, but if I need a suit, I much prefer to drop by and try one on!
Tom's Place:  https://toms-place.com/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 20, 2021 9:10 am  #3

Burned all my suits....such a liberating feeling....save for my wedding/funeral suit. Don't know why I kept that one. Can't go to weddings and funerals anyway.

I guess they can bury me in it, so always keep one. 

April 20, 2021 10:02 am  #4

A very annoying commercial

April 20, 2021 10:12 am  #5

markow202 wrote:

A very annoying commercial

Agreed. An absolute tune-out for me, and I find his spots so annoying, I was even motivated to get up and turn the station if the radio was in another room. You have to really bug me to make me want to do that!

Still, I am sorry about one thing. He was one of the few dedicated local businesses that sponsored radio in a very rough time for the industry. I'm wondering if, after being mostly closed for over a year (you can't really do curbside suit shopping) he's finally running out of money to pay for the spots. You can only advertise a closed store for so long. 

I'll be curious to see if he's also missing from GNR640 at 4:56 PM or so, where he's been for ages. 

April 20, 2021 7:21 pm  #6

Heard Tom speak with Peter Sherman on am640 last Friday. I also heard Tom's voice on Classical FM 96.3 sometime last week. His spots do not bother me; it's the 'Hi I'm Cherry Tabb - Herzig Eye Institute" shout that I find intolerable. The whole radio gets turned off immediately with that one.
Something to consider... if Tom's Place is no longer a 1010 client it may be BellMedia's choice. (Because they are that arrogant). And Newstalk1010 is, after all, making attempts to gain female audience share.

April 21, 2021 2:07 am  #7

67GreenRambler wrote:

His spots do not bother me; it's the 'Hi I'm Cherry Tabb - Herzig Eye Institute" shout that I find intolerable. The whole radio gets turned off immediately with that one.

Look after yourself, promise me!

April 21, 2021 8:46 am  #8

John Moore made mention of Toms Place, regarding the matter of sick days, and that the business is family owned. No comment on the fact that Toms advert isn't running at all, lets alone the fact that he is missing his usual live spot about 7: 35 am.

April 21, 2021 5:00 pm  #9

Just heard his regular spot on GRN640 with Oakley, although I quickly tuned out as soon as he started into the spiel. It appears RB is the one who either lost or somehow declined to have the campaign there continue. 

April 21, 2021 7:25 pm  #10

craignucks wrote:

67GreenRambler wrote:

His spots do not bother me; it's the 'Hi I'm Cherry Tabb - Herzig Eye Institute" shout that I find intolerable. The whole radio gets turned off immediately with that one.

Look after yourself, promise me!

Give us your hard-earned money, promise me...

April 22, 2021 7:17 pm  #11

There's a day old Instagram post from Tom showcasing a trendy men's shirt, with lots of recent photos, so maybe someone convinced him to refresh his radio spots and have someone else voice them, or buy less expensive airtime, and this is just a lull?

And I cast my vote for "Look after yourself, promise me." as the most clunky, ridiculous tagline ever written. Don't know if I could deliver it in a believable fashion. But her smarmy voice is cringeworthy.

Runner up for most awful is the squawky read Nicole Kidman gives for those car ads. If she had to audition for the gig, doubt she'd get it if she wasn't a name.

April 24, 2021 9:33 am  #12

Tom was on Newstalk 1010 for his spot for a moment or 2 at about 8:45 this morning on the Dave Trafford show. No interaction with Dave, so there was no way to tell if the spot was live or pre recorded.

April 25, 2021 6:55 pm  #13

Norman peters wrote:

Tom was on Newstalk 1010 for his spot for a moment or 2 at about 8:45 this morning on the Dave Trafford show. No interaction with Dave, so there was no way to tell if the spot was live or pre recorded.

I also heard a Ted Woloshyn-voiced "Tom's Place" spot (Woloshyn a longtime voice for those ads) today, so appears Tom is still advertising on the station in some capacity, even if he didn't join Moore at his usual time. Maybe Tom was just taking a week of stay-cation or something.