sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 7, 2021 1:28 pm  #1

Have you had the Covid vaccine?

Just got shot number one. 

April 7, 2021 2:25 pm  #2

Re: Have you had the Covid vaccine?

After a series of horrible and endless screw-ups by a noted pharmacy chain, I have an appt. for next Tuesday at a local clinic. And it looks like I'm going to get the good stuff - either Pfizer or Moderna! Worth the wait if you ask me. And no disc jockey or talk show host influenced me to get it! (See previous thread...)

Very unhappy, though, with this 4 months between shots idiocy that no other country on the planet thinks is a good idea. 

April 7, 2021 2:28 pm  #3

Had my first shot yesterday. Easy peasy. It's the booking it that's the pain in the.... tocas.

John Moore tweeted that he has had his first shot on Easter Monday, and I think Mike Stafford mentioned on-air a week or so ago he's had the first shot too.

If you really hate getting needles, it's the sting of the alcohol that can make it really hurt, just let it air dry for a few seconds et voila! it's practically painless. 💉🇨🇦😁

April 7, 2021 2:42 pm  #4

Got the first shot Monday.. AZ flavour

April 7, 2021 2:43 pm  #5

Yep .. got an AZ shot at Loblaws back on March 14 when they opened up the AZ jabs to the 60-64 age bracket.

Only side effect was a restless night sleeping that 1st night .. back to normal the next day.

April 7, 2021 7:55 pm  #6

I will be getting my shot Apr 8th at a small independent pharmacy Bathurst/Fairlawn area. Forgot to ask which one I will receive. There was never any doubt in my mind. When available, and it was my turn, I would get the needle.

April 7, 2021 8:28 pm  #7

grilled.cheese wrote:

More importantly, who working in radio has received it?

Why do you want to know g.c. (not being snarky here, genuinely interested)

is it like voting, it influences your level of respect ?

April 7, 2021 8:31 pm  #8

got my AZ jab on March 27th.   My Dr. office called two days before and said appointments were available at their medical centre so I got in.  The process was very professional and streamlined.  In and out in 30 minutes including the 15 minute "adverse reaction" wait time.  No reaction to the shot, which was virtually painless.

April 7, 2021 8:42 pm  #9

mace wrote:

I will be getting my shot Apr 8th at a small independent pharmacy Bathurst/Fairlawn area. Forgot to ask which one I will receive. There was never any doubt in my mind. When available, and it was my turn, I would get the needle.

You're likely getting AstraZeneca, since that's the easiest vaccine to get to pharmacies. It doesn't require the intense cold the others do, so most of them were doling that one out.  

April 7, 2021 8:44 pm  #10

Had my first shot of the AZ vaccine just over 2 weeks ago. My city Councillor sends out a weekly newsletter. A few weeks back, there was a link that showed all the pharmacy's in the ward that were offering the vaccine. Found one only a few blocks from home I'd not had any previous dealings with. Sent an email inquiring about getting the shot, not expecting a quick response. A few days later they called back, and I was able to book an appointment for few days after I received the call.. Not much of a wait once I arrived there. .A bit of soreness in my arm for a day or so. A bit a of a headache during the 15 minute wait time. They checked my blood pressure, all was fine. Waiting for round 2, hoping it's a bit sooner than the 4 month wait they are saying it will be for the next shot.

April 7, 2021 9:06 pm  #11

After a year of watching you guys across the border handling things a little better than we were on this side, there's maybe a smidge of schadenfreude in having our vaccine situation so well in hand now. 

I don't think everyone at work has gotten their shots yet, but a lot of us did. I had mine all done by mid-March and I feel a little more comfortable working in studio now as a result. With a little bit of effort hitting refresh and checking multiple sites, it's entirely possible here now for anyone over 16 to decide they want the jab and get it the same day. (Not to brag or anything... and we still have plenty of issues with rising test positivity and hospitalization rates to get through before this is all over.) 

April 7, 2021 11:28 pm  #12

The day the website opened up in London for our age group I tried to book and the website crashed. My wife who has infinitely more patience than I have called the toll free number and waited on hold for 90 minutes. We have a mass clinic within a five minute drive from our hose, but the guy sent us to Forest ON, over near Sarnia. About an hour away. Bu that's OK. I'd have driven to Montreal if they had said to..

We got our first shot on Mar 31. Wifes arm was sore for a couple of days. Mine wasn't even tender. Our next shot it July 21.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

April 7, 2021 11:48 pm  #13

I'm not shocked that 100% of the people replying to this thread on this board have qualified to get vaccinated.

April 8, 2021 7:44 am  #14

RadioAaron wrote:

I'm not shocked that 100% of the people replying to this thread on this board have qualified to get vaccinated.

Hahaha..I guess I qualify for this "over the hill" gang too!  My appointment is a little over a week away on April 16th.  I am going to one of the mass vaccination clinics and not sure which brand I will be jabbed with.  A friend went to the same clinic on Monday and had the Pfizer vaccination. He was told the second shot probably would be sooner than 4 months away.  They are trying to give as many people the more important first shot as soon as they can. My friend was in and out in 30 minutes and said everything was well organized, and people helpful and friendly.   Some pharmacies here are taking appointments for 55+ and soon to be 50+.  These are using the AZ vaccine I believe.

April 8, 2021 4:52 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

After a series of horrible and endless screw-ups by a noted pharmacy chain, I have an appt. for next Tuesday at a local clinic. And it looks like I'm going to get the good stuff - either Pfizer or Moderna! Worth the wait if you ask me. And no disc jockey or talk show host influenced me to get it! (See previous thread...)

Very unhappy, though, with this 4 months between shots idiocy that no other country on the planet thinks is a good idea. 

I had mine March 15 at a Shoppers.  No side effects at all, and now at 3 weeks I've reached maximum protection until the booster.   AZs vaccine reaches maximum effectiveness after the booster is given 12 weeks in, so I'm fine with that too.   It was tough getting the appointment but there was no shortage of local pharmacies offering the shot in midtown Toronto.  

I recommend that you check out this short video to clear up the evident misconceptions about vaccine efficacy.   Too many people rely on a simple vaccine efficacy percentage to compare vaccines and that's incorrect.       Vaccine efficacy comes from vaccine trials and it's rare that different vaccines are trialed under the same circumstances.    The AZ vaccine for instance rates lower because it was tested under entirely different circumstances than the Pfizer or Moderna.      Why you can't compare Covid-19 vaccines

April 8, 2021 6:12 pm  #16

March 15th.  Astra-Zeneca.  It's like a Lada.  No one wants it but if you're lucky it will get you where you want to go.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

April 9, 2021 7:52 am  #17

Leslieville Bill wrote:

March 15th.  Astra-Zeneca.  It's like a Lada.  No one wants it but if you're lucky it will get you where you want to go.

Since  the first AZ trial was after last summer and partially held in Brazil and the UK where two of the more dangerous variants originated, while Pfizer / Moderna trials were held in the USA during last summer, most probably against the original version (referred to as "wild"), the AZ has been "battle tested" under tougher conditions so it has a lower efficacy percentage.  Subsequent AZ trials have also been later and against variants of concern (like the recent one in the USA), unlike Pfizer / Moderna (so they got a higher percentage than AZ).   Don't let the lower efficacy number mislead you into believing the AZ vaccine is any less effective when in fact it's proven against the more virulent variants while the other's numbers were against a milder form of the virus.

April 9, 2021 3:31 pm  #18

25% of people who get the vaccine will have a strong immune response. Well, I was one of them. Wednesday night I got very cold and then my temp rose to 101 degrees and I was awake all night. Yesterday was a day of extreme fatigue. Today I am slowly getting better but still a bit achy.  I hope I won't have to go through this again with shot number 2. 

Last edited by cash (April 9, 2021 6:21 pm)

April 9, 2021 5:43 pm  #19

I just got extremely tired on day 2, wife was the same but she had chills the first night.  2nd AZ shot already scheduled for June.  Not a 4 month wait.  Asked the pharmacist who was giving the shots if it would be 4 months for the next appt., he said more like 2.  He was right
Whether we have vaccines in stock for the appointment is another question....

April 10, 2021 3:52 pm  #20

Well. I have recovered. Two days of my life I will never get back.

April 10, 2021 4:14 pm  #21

cash wrote:

Well. I have recovered. Two days of my life I will never get back.

But you still have your life, right?

April 10, 2021 7:46 pm  #22

I got the AstraZeneca vaccine 3 weeks ago. No real issues and look forward to the second one in June. I don't understand those who don't want to take it because it will make them sick.So will Covid...if you're lucky. 

April 13, 2021 3:20 pm  #23

I got needled Tuesday morning and I have to say, after all that anticipation, I'm almost disappointed that it's over. 

Yes, I'm sadder but Pfizer...

(And if COVID doesn't make you sick, I'm sure that terrible pun will.)

April 16, 2021 11:51 am  #24

I get my AZ Monday morning.

April 16, 2021 3:16 pm  #25

RadioActive wrote:

I got needled Tuesday morning and I have to say, after all that anticipation, I'm almost disappointed that it's over. 

I'll tale the puns anytime, RA.  

Last edited by Media Observer (April 16, 2021 3:17 pm)

April 16, 2021 10:58 pm  #26

Media Observer wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

totally agree, during difficult times it's best to keep a stiff upper quip

Last edited by betaylored (April 16, 2021 11:07 pm)

April 16, 2021 11:48 pm  #27

betaylored wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

totally agree, during difficult times it's best to keep a stiff upper quip

Wasn't always a fan of puns...but I have to admit, they are starting to groan on me...

April 17, 2021 7:48 am  #28

Damn .. gonna have to buy more hooks !! : )) ..

April 17, 2021 10:34 am  #29

Got my shot last evening at McMasters new Kitchener campus downtown.  Well organized, no waiting and helpful friendly volunteers. It was organized busy and today I have a slight stiff shoulder and had a few chills last night but so far not today.  Give them 5 out of 5 stars.

April 17, 2021 11:44 am  #30

it took awhile, and a lot of effort, but we're scheduled to receive the first shot (in a couple of weeks). meanwhile, the extended wait, for the second shot, is worrisome.