sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 6, 2021 2:28 pm  #1

Should a radio show host be encouraging listeners to get the jab?

One of the shows I listen to as I work from home has an announcer that encourages the Covid Protocol each day, this week, they are now suggesting to get the jab! 

Is that a wise move and is it even ethical of an influencer with an audience, to suggest they get the vaccination? 

To me there are some who are opposed and some are open to it. Does it not put those who are opposed to having this treatment plan at risk of tuning in elsewhere?

My question is this really. Should a host use their influence on air, to strongly urge listeners to do get the "shot"? 

Intuitively, I say no!  That those listening have choice and those who choose not too right now, well, you might lose that listener base.

I feel an announcer is there to entertain, inform, educate, but not to be a spokesperson for the medical community in Ontario.

To me it is a slippery slope.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 6, 2021 3:03 pm  #2

Re: Should a radio show host be encouraging listeners to get the jab?

Depends on who is the "announcer"

April 6, 2021 3:05 pm  #3

Geo, it is a music host, an on air "jock" for lack of a better term! 

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 6, 2021 3:24 pm  #4

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Is that a wise move and is it even ethical of an influencer with an audience, to suggest they get the vaccination? 

Absolutely! It's a public safety issue. Would you ask if it's ethical for an announcer to suggest the audience take shelter during a natural disaster or evacuate during a wildfire? Is it unethical for late night DJs to remind people not to drink and drive or to encourage people to practice safe sex?

Last edited by Hansa (April 6, 2021 3:32 pm)

April 6, 2021 3:44 pm  #5

I'm not an anti masker or anti vaxxer by any stretch of the imagination. And I admit that I did not hear the initial statement or suggestion on air.

However, I kind of agree with Muffaraw Joe.

Each individual has to decide for themselves what is the best course of action for them...  Only you (and your doctor) know you're medical history and any underlying conditions which may exist.  I would not take the advice or direction of a radio music host, a tv news reader, the guy who rotates my tires, or a teller in a bank etc. as to what I should do in regard to getting the Covid vaccine.

There is information available for individuals to read and determine for themselves what is best.

Hell, even the governments and health authorities are changing the messaging on a seemingly weekly basis... 

For myself, I'm not even in the current age or demographic here in Ontario  to even register for the shot. But, I have a call into my MD, and Cardiologist questioning if one of the vaccines will poss an increased or heightened risk to my current health considering the medications which I currently take. I will listen to their professional, educated advice...  not from someone on a radio station playing tunes...

April 6, 2021 3:58 pm  #6

Should politicians, actors, athletes also not suggest getting a Covid shot that can literally save the lives of others and helps protects people you share your community with?...I don't see a difference if a DJ or talk show host recommends it...this reminds me of the 'shut up and dribble' Fox News crowd that complains when they hear something they don't agree with and then tells the messenger to stick to their own lane

April 6, 2021 4:02 pm  #7

Over the years I've heard non-expert DJs and announcers give dating and relationship advice, money mangement advice exercise advice, health and wellness advice, nutritional advice, dieting advice, gardening advice, parenting advice, career advice, home reno advice, travel advice, parenting advice and even home remedy advice for common ailments but somehow it's crossing the line for an on-air person to suggest you should get vaccinated during a global pandemic because some extremist antivaxx wingnut might get offended? 

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I feel an announcer is there to entertain, inform, educate, but not to be a spokesperson for the medical community in Ontario. 

Encouraging vaccination is informing and educating the public. Vaccination is not some sort of self-interested policy proposal by the medical community. It's as much a matter of public safety - more so - than anti-drunk driving campaigns or fire safety campaigns. If a DJ reminded listeners to check the batteries in their smoke detector would they be acting as a "spokesperson" for the firefighting community in Ontario? (Selfish lazy firefighting bastards wanting people to prevent fires so they don't have to do as much work) Or would they be basically making a public service announcement? Encouraging vaccination is no different and any public education expert will tell you that people are sometimes more likely to do something if a friend or public figure they like says it then if an expert does so yes, if you want to get a high vaccination rate you can't just rely on doctors and nurses to tell people what to do, community leaders and "influencers" have to be on board too. 

We have talk radio that is brimming with blowhard hosts who are prepared to pontificate on any topic and make public policy declarations after a quick Google search or reading an article in the Toronto Sun but saying on the air that vaccination is a good idea is going too far?

What an age we live in.

Last edited by Hansa (April 6, 2021 4:22 pm)

April 6, 2021 4:24 pm  #8

I don't have an issue with an announcer talking about COVID and encouraging people about getting a jab.  Just don't talk about it all of the time.  I find our news media goes on about the whole thing a bit much.  And they often add to any confusion that people have.

Maybe an update how things are going, rather than dwelling on  people that weren't happy about how they were treated or how they had to wait so long.   Most family and friends I have spoken with said it went well and they were surprised how organized and quick the process was.

Ultimately it is up to you and if you have any reservations, talk to a professional or doctor for advice. I am sure most professionals will recommend that you and your family get the shot.    No announcer should be your guide, about health issues or likely anything in life for that matter!   But can they comment or give their impressions, I don't see why not.  However understanding that they are not professionals.

April 6, 2021 4:29 pm  #9

Sure, but I think that's a messaging issue rather than an issue of it somehow  being unethical to promote vaccination. Is it ethical for a DJ to discourage drug abuse? (I forgot to mention that in my earlier catalog of advice given over the air by DJs along with the perennial advice to "stay in school"). Of course not. But that's different from saying that a heavy handed "just say no" campaign is less effective than a more tactful and nuanced approach. 

I think it would be great, for instance, if a morning drive host arranged to be vaccinated live on the air. 

Just looking for that clip of Dr. Johnny Fever taking an on air drink-reaction test. 

Last edited by Hansa (April 6, 2021 4:43 pm)

April 6, 2021 5:22 pm  #10

Maybe it's me or just fatigue.  But CBC.ca has 10 COVID stories out of a total of 21 on the front page of their website.  Isn't this overdone?  Also both CBC and CTV news still have many more COVID related stories and more prominent than any of the US networks or BBC.  The US and UK have both had many more deaths per thousand and cases of COVID per thousand than Canada but it still occupies most of our newscasts.  

Why would the schools closing in Peel be a national story on CBC and CTV?  Does this matter to viewers in BC or Nova Scotia? To me while important, it is a local story.  Does ABC lead their evening news with schools being closed in Rockland county just outside of NYC?  

April 6, 2021 5:38 pm  #11

Just because some music DJ says get the shot, is not taking some political stance.   Science backs up the statement, with the facts from credible sources.   I really don't think it's something that any host should dance around about.   Just because they said get it, doesn't mean the person who is against science or some anti vax/masker is going to change either.    They are sharing opinion.    If they are news hosts, saying "people should strongly consider getting the shot is also fine".   AGAIN science and facts back the statement.  It's not and should not be political.   

People will ways find something to make any statement made they don't agree with an issue, but facts backed by science, like the sky being blue, the earth being round and covid being real is not something that should be worried about debate or causing mass outrage.    When people trust random sites on the internet for their sources of info vs trusted sources and the media hosts have to dance around real facts because someone may get offended is going to end this industry once and for all. 

Last edited by radiokid (April 6, 2021 5:42 pm)

April 6, 2021 6:56 pm  #12

One of the shows I listen to as I work from home has an announcer that encourages safety  each day, this week, they are now suggesting not drinking and driving!

Is that a wise move and is it even ethical of an influencer with an audience, to suggest they not drink and drive?

To me there are some who are opposed and some are open to it. Does it not put those who are opposed to not drinking and driving at risk of tuning in elsewhere?

My question is this really. Should a host use their influence on air, to strongly urge listeners to not drink and drive?

Intuitively, I say no!  That those listening have choice and those who choose not too right now, well, you might lose that listener base.

I feel an announcer is there to entertain, inform, educate, but not to be a spokesperson for MADD..

April 6, 2021 7:46 pm  #13

I'm offended when people giving the weather tell me not to forget to take an umbrella because it's going to rain or to dress warmly because it's cold. Sure some of them are trained "meteorologists"  but most of them are just hack announcers reading copy written by someone else. What do THEY know?  Why are they acting as spokespeople for BIG WEATHER when they should just stick to being entertainers? Who are THEY to tell ME what to do? What about my FREEDOM! 

Last edited by Hansa (April 6, 2021 7:48 pm)

April 6, 2021 10:07 pm  #14

paterson1 wrote:

Maybe it's me or just fatigue.  But CBC.ca has 10 COVID stories out of a total of 21 on the front page of their website.  Isn't this overdone?  Also both CBC and CTV news still have many more COVID related stories and more prominent than any of the US networks or BBC.  The US and UK have both had many more deaths per thousand and cases of COVID per thousand than Canada but it still occupies most of our newscasts.  

Why would the schools closing in Peel be a national story on CBC and CTV?  Does this matter to viewers in BC or Nova Scotia? To me while important, it is a local story.  Does ABC lead their evening news with schools being closed in Rockland county just outside of NYC?  

CTV in particular seems to emphasize Covid news above all else. They actually really buried the story about Tom Gibney’s death on the CTV Toronto website yesterday; it looked like an afterthought. I can’t help but think that if there was no pandemic, they would’ve done a bigger tribute both online and on the newscast.

I don’t think CFTO even marked its 60th anniversary this past December, or at least I never saw anything on their website. It was all endless Covid news.

CBC at least seems to cover other things. And in the US, NPR has been covering a variety of non-Covid stories, such as Biden’s plans for Amtrak.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (April 6, 2021 10:07 pm)

April 6, 2021 11:53 pm  #15

MJ Vancouver wrote:

CTV in particular seems to emphasize Covid news above all else. They actually really buried the story about Tom Gibney’s death on the CTV Toronto website yesterday; it looked like an afterthought. I can’t help but think that if there was no pandemic, they would’ve done a bigger tribute both online and on the newscast.

From 1991: 

MJ Vancouver wrote:

I don’t think CFTO even marked its 60th anniversary this past December, or at least I never saw anything on their website. It was all endless Covid news.

Speaking of their 60 anniversary, if they had paid attention to it, it might not have been in English - at least if this 1960 report came true.

So what was that very first day actually like? 

April 7, 2021 1:06 am  #16

Holliday wrote:

One of the shows I listen to as I work from home has an announcer that encourages safety each day, this week, they are now suggesting not drinking and driving!

Is that a wise move and is it even ethical of an influencer with an audience, to suggest they not drink and drive?

To me there are some who are opposed and some are open to it. Does it not put those who are opposed to not drinking and driving at risk of tuning in elsewhere?

My question is this really. Should a host use their influence on air, to strongly urge listeners to not drink and drive?

Intuitively, I say no! That those listening have choice and those who choose not too right now, well, you might lose that listener base.

I feel an announcer is there to entertain, inform, educate, but not to be a spokesperson for MADD..

Someone sympathetic to the sensitivities of drunk drivers.  This board always surprises me. 

When every government official in Canada is telling us to get it I don't have a problem with a host doing the same.  Also, is it overkill?  No. It currently affects every person in the country and a million people have had it.  World War II didn't even directly affect such a large percentage of the population.  There's no such thing as too much coverage.  We have the right to be tired of it but it needs to be covered.

April 7, 2021 11:01 am  #17

Prod Guy wrote:

Someone sympathetic to the sensitivities of drunk drivers.  This board always surprises me.  

Holliday was just satirizing the original post. 

April 7, 2021 11:27 am  #18

Prod Guy wrote:

Holliday wrote:

One of the shows I listen to as I work from home has an announcer that encourages safety each day, this week, they are now suggesting not drinking and driving!

Intuitively, I say no! That those listening have choice and those who choose not too right now, well, you might lose that listener base.

When every government official in Canada is telling us to get it I don't have a problem with a host doing the same.  Also, is it overkill?  No. It currently affects every person in the country and a million people have had it.  World War II didn't even directly affect such a large percentage of the population.  There's no such thing as too much coverage.  We have the right to be tired of it but it needs to be covered.👍👍

April 7, 2021 11:28 am  #19

my concern, is the fact that many people think the vaccine is the total answer (and that can easily be assumed when high profile/non-medical people get involved in promoting vaccinations). too many people think the vaccine will make them immune to covid thus allowing them to go back to a "normal" lifestyle. the one fact i do know, all of the vaccines reduce the "risk". nothing more. by the way, these days the definition of "risk" varies (degree of illness et al). perhaps broadcasters would better serve the community by promoting the basics (social distancing, masks, hand washing et al)? maybe strategically placed psa's would help and would standardize the message?
personally, i'm taking this seriously. the odd times i do venture from home, i see too many people taking a casual approach and that, to me, is a big concern. it ain't over, not by a long "shot" (especially here in ontario). 

April 7, 2021 11:36 am  #20

Hansa wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

Holliday was just satirizing the original post. 

This is true. I know it’s controversial, but I am firmly against drinking and driving.