sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2021 4:12 pm  #1

CFTO's Tom Gibney Passes Away

Sad news from Toronto Mike's page:
https://www.torontomike.com/2021/04/tom-gibney-dead/

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

April 5, 2021 7:03 pm  #2

Re: CFTO's Tom Gibney Passes Away

Nice tribute at the end of CFTO's 6pm newscast. It will probably be repeated latenight.

April 5, 2021 7:07 pm  #3

Agreed. Interesting to see Lance Brown and Dave Devall again. I suspect it will wind up on their website at some point. 

The only point that sort of bugged me was in the intro, when they referred to the show as once being known as CFTO. Um, they still are legally, even if they never, ever refer to the call letters anymore. In fact, this is the first time in years that I've heard them say those four letters together. 

April 5, 2021 7:32 pm  #4

I think it was around 2005 that the CFTO [and all CTV affilliate call letters] disappeared. I don't know when CBC call letters vanished but for many years stations would ID as CBC Toronto, CBC Manitoba etc. They don't even do that now.

April 5, 2021 8:05 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Agreed. Interesting to see Lance Brown and Dave Devall again. I suspect it will wind up on their website at some point. 

The only point that sort of bugged me was in the intro, when they referred to the show as once being known as CFTO. Um, they still are legally, even if they never, ever refer to the call letters anymore. In fact, this is the first time in years that I've heard them say those four letters together. 

I agree nice tribute and it was good to see Dave and Lance again.  Tom was a solid anchor, straightforward newscaster and always came across as a pleasant decent person, especially during the chit chat.

The station technically is still CFTO, but they are correct that the news was called CFTO News or Worldbeat News. However the viewers now know it as CTV News Toronto.  So they were right in saying that the newscast was once known as CFTO News.  Even if they had said that the station was once known as CFTO is still correct.  It is known now as CTV Toronto even though I guess legally it is still CFTO, but it has been known by the viewer as CTV Toronto for years.  

April 5, 2021 9:11 pm  #6

mace wrote:

Nice tribute at the end of CFTO's 6pm newscast. It will probably be repeated latenight.

From the CTV News website:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2174769

Last edited by Media Observer (April 5, 2021 9:18 pm)