sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2021 11:26 pm  #1

City TV "light Blue screen"

What's up with City TV lately?
In the past few days, including just now (Wednesday night, around 11:23 PM) the evening news goes to a coming up screen, then goes to a blue screen for a minute or two. 
The other day they were in the middle of doing traffic and it went to blue screen.
A day or so before that they were in the middle of a Peanut butter ad as it suddenly happened.

Something is wrong somewhere. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 1, 2021 11:21 am  #2

Re: City TV "light Blue screen"

Can't comment on what's happening in this case, but I do remember around 2010 or so when the station failed to show its 11 PM newscast and instead went with a very unexpected rerun of "Life On Venus Ave." with no explanation. But then it just got weirder. After the show ran - with no commercials - the tape came to an end and started rewinding - all 60 minutes of it - on air, only to come to a halt and leaving a freeze frame of the countdown leader on the air for what seemed like forever. 

So what happened? We found out the next day, when news reports revealed there was a credible bomb threat at the station that police took so seriously, they ordered the CHUMCity Building at 299 Queen St. W. to be completely evacuated while a search was done. 

Master Control cued up the first thing they could find and just let it play. But the emergency went on so long, the tape ran out, leaving nothing on the air except that rewound videotape. I can't recall anything like that happening at any station ever again, and I highly doubt that explains the situation this time around. But I'll never forget that story - I was watching at home the night it took place and wondered what was going on  

April 1, 2021 11:32 am  #3

I thought they outsourced Master Control to a specialty firm in Hyderabad last year.

April 1, 2021 12:00 pm  #4

To City TV's credit, at least they're smart enough to use the light blue screen.
A black screen (silence and all) makes my TV look like it is off or that something is wrong with it.
Blue screen shows they're having troubles & my TV is fine.

However, it keeps happening over numerous days. It's not just a one time error.

April 1, 2021 2:46 pm  #5

Maybe City's planning to bring back its Baby Blue Movies? 

April 1, 2021 2:55 pm  #6

Hansa wrote:

Maybe City's planning to bring back its Baby Blue Movies? 

Yes, that's gotta be it, and they needed the upset to digital storage to add more digital storage to their line up. 

Whatever is going on, it's upsetting ad time just as much as the programming itself, so something has to get fixed soon.