sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2021 9:06 pm  #1

Did Any Radio Or TV Station Do This Story On Wednesday?

I thought for sure I'd hear this reminder on local radio Wednesday. But to my surprise, no one seems to have reported on it. At least not on the shows I was listening to.

The headline: a new carbon tax is being introduced in Canada Thursday, driving up gas prices between 2 and 8 cents a litre. (It also goes on your home heating fuel, as well.)

Now, admittedly, it's not a lot of money in the end. But you'd figure someone might have wanted to mention it might be a good idea to fill up on your way home, in case you needed a top up, just to keep the money out of the greedy maw of the feds one last time. A nice reminder, and again, not the end of the world. (For the record, I did fill up this morning.)

It's the kind of public service thing radio and TV stations have been doing for years. But for some reason, they missed the boat this time around. Or at least it was the Ever Given and nobody got stuck on it. I wonder why they all ignored this story? Or did anyone here hear it somewhere?

Trudeau's carbon tax rising by 33% April 1 

March 31, 2021 10:23 pm  #2

Re: Did Any Radio Or TV Station Do This Story On Wednesday?

Canada’s media is very heavily focused on Covid right now. I honestly didn’t even know about this story until this thread.

March 31, 2021 11:54 pm  #3

My how times change. I can remember when a huge gas price hike would be the lead story on a nightly Toronto newscast, with viz of cars lining up to get a fill-up before the increase. I guess COVID "drove" (pun intended) the story right out of the show. 

April 1, 2021 8:51 am  #4

Since I am semi retired, and I can walk to work, My car sits in the garage most of the week. I fill up probably every two months.

April 1, 2021 9:08 am  #5

The timing of this is insensitive in a year where so many have been rocked by the pandemic financially. It is part of the "Great Reset" and I am certain that governments around the world don't have our best interests at heart.

Here is what's affected by this tax, oh and Netflix pricing goes up as will Spotify too...

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/bc-tax-increases-from-netflix-to-gas-heres-what-will-cost-you-more-on-april-1

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (April 1, 2021 9:17 am)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 1, 2021 5:29 pm  #6

Doesnt 680 news report on the gas prices frequently per hour?  I dont know of any other station. 

April 1, 2021 5:58 pm  #7

markow202 wrote:

Doesnt 680 news report on the gas prices frequently per hour?  I dont know of any other station. 

Or is it a paid spot?