sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2021 10:34 am  #2

Re: Vinyl Tap Cancelled

It is a great show, what a mistake! 

I would love to see Corus pick it up and air it on Q107 in Calgary and Toronto, it would be a good fit!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 27, 2021 12:49 pm  #3

Finally.

March 27, 2021 12:50 pm  #4

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I would love to see Corus pick it up and air it on Q107 in Calgary and Toronto, it would be a good fit!

But then he'd have to stop being hypocritical and actually start playing Cancon

March 27, 2021 4:12 pm  #5

Ale Ont wrote:

CBC is cancelling the Randy Bachman Show 

Could it be the result of the recent CBC "survey on broadcasting" discussed here a few weeks ago?     If no one penciled-in that it has a following, the powers that be could have assumed that no one listens  

March 27, 2021 5:17 pm  #6

geo wrote:

Ale Ont wrote:

CBC is cancelling the Randy Bachman Show 

Could it be the result of the recent CBC "survey on broadcasting" discussed here a few weeks ago?     If no one penciled-in that it has a following, the powers that be could have assumed that no one listens  

The reason is poor ratings.  It's in the article.

March 27, 2021 5:51 pm  #7

Prod Guy wrote:

The reason is poor ratings. 

It's the ONLY radio program (other than Ashby) for which people have sent me messages along the lines of "geo if you're not already tuning in, you gotta' check out Bachman on Vinyl Tap on CBC".     

March 27, 2021 6:10 pm  #8

Vinyl Tap with Bachman was on for 16 years.  Nothing lasts forever. It will be interesting to see if he can continue somewhere else.  Did NPR run the program?  They would be a good candidate. 

March 27, 2021 6:19 pm  #9

I used to listen to it every week until his wife joined the show and they turned it into the "save the planet" show.  That's when I tuned out and never really came back.

March 27, 2021 6:32 pm  #10

Randy Bachman talks about Randy Bachman for two hours and plays Randy Bachman's favourite songs seems like something that could air once as a special.

In Toronto, CBC Radio One, 12+
Saturday overall: 16.9
7-9pm: 12.5

Not that CBC should be chasing ratings as a primary reason to alter programming.

March 27, 2021 6:37 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

Vinyl Tap with Bachman was on for 16 years.  Nothing lasts forever. It will be interesting to see if he can continue somewhere else.  Did NPR run the program?  They would be a good candidate. 

NPR is interesting, in that there's no set national schedule or lineup. Individual stations could air it if they wanted. One of their main distributors like MPR or PRI picking it up could help spur affiliate pickup.

If there's room anywhere in Canada, a late weekend evening run on 1010 & company would make the "most" sense...if any.

March 27, 2021 10:40 pm  #12

Is Finkelman still alive? Cause maybe this can be saved. Of course there’d be less Guess Who and Bachman b-sides, but at least The Diamonds would get some love

Last edited by MonteVideo (March 27, 2021 10:40 pm)

March 27, 2021 10:51 pm  #13

It's a so-so show IMO. I like that it can sometimes cross genres. Randy sounds very down to earth as a presenter. Very conversational - I like that. OTOH he *MIST* know more about music than he relates in his commentary. I'd personally rather learn more about music and less about the artists and personalities. Perhaps the show is better suited to a commercial music station. 
One other thought crosses my mind. Radio is evolving so rapidly these days, what with all them newfangled online delivery trucks. So the playing field has changed considerably. I've always seen a major role for CBC as talent scout and developer -- really a talent incubator. Vinyl Tap is what it is - it's not really growing anymore, and Bachman could easily score something fairly significant on any commercial station. At some point, maybe it's good for CBC to let programs like it go, and make room for new up-and-coming talent. Looking back, if I had one wish for him - he needed someone at CBC to inspire him to greater heights. Not to make him sound overly intellectual BBC-like - keep being folksy - but tell us more about the mechanics of music, (He'd often start, teasingly, but end way too soon). 

April 2, 2021 11:15 am  #14

Canadaland had a particularly venomous reaction to the news - and constructive suggestions on what to replace it with.

Last edited by Chrisphen (April 2, 2021 11:17 am)

April 4, 2021 6:10 pm  #15

Why is anyone lamenting this useless program's demise?

Good lord, people, he's been reading wikipedia entries cribbed together from his son Tal on the show for years, and any original thoughts or takes from him ceased about five years ago.

Give it a rest.

(yes, I'm still alive, and living out west in Calgary)

April 4, 2021 9:38 pm  #16

verger wrote:

Why is anyone lamenting this useless program's demise?

I, for one, am not. Good riddance. 

April 4, 2021 10:41 pm  #17

Randy.  You're a millionaire, I'm guessing a few times over.  Your 77 years old.  Take the night off.