sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2021 10:44 am  #1

Creative Radio 2021: This Week's Under The Influence

Complaining about and constructively judging not so hot radio ads is a regular pastime here on the big yellow board.

This week's episode of UTI, on CBC Radio 1 Thursdays and Saturdays at 11:30 am, features a number of Terry O'Reilly approved exceptionally clever and creative ads, two of which involve Toronto and Newfoundland. Taylor Swift may also get a mention. The Beatles certainly will.

If we're lucky the less inspired local copy writers whose efforts we've been subject to will also be listening and they'll follow the old cliche "good artists borrow, great artists steal."📻🙉🙈🙊💰

Last edited by betaylored (March 24, 2021 10:51 am)

March 24, 2021 12:19 pm  #2

Re: Creative Radio 2021: This Week's Under The Influence

betaylored wrote:

This week's episode of UTI...

Love the show but the first thing that comes to mind when I see UTI is Urinary Tract Infection. A show on marketing should have a better acronym! 

March 26, 2021 6:25 pm  #3

Hansa wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Love the show but the first thing that comes to mind when I see UTI is Urinary Tract Infection. A show on marketing should have a better acronym! 

Imagine if Terry did a show on unfortunate but funny coincidences in  acronyms in branding and marketing.

I do know potato farmers used SPUDS, but darned if I can remember now what it all spelled out.

The best acronym I have ever seen was, as far as I know, created by Benjamin Dreyer, best selling author of "Dreyer's English", Chief Copy Editor at Random House, and a big cheese in the publishing world and hilarious on Twitter.

It goes YHGTBFKMWTS you have got to be f**king kidding me with this s**t. If used sparingly it's a winner.😏

Last edited by betaylored (March 26, 2021 6:28 pm)

March 26, 2021 6:34 pm  #4

betaylored wrote:

Hansa wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Imagine if Terry did a show on unfortunate but funny coincidences in acronyms in branding and marketing.

I do know potato farmers used SPUDS, but darned if I can remember now what it all spelled out.

The best acronym I have ever seen was, as far as I know, created by Benjamin Dreyer, best selling author of "Dreyer's English", Chief Copy Editor at Random House, and a big cheese in the publishing world and hilarious on Twitter.

It goes YHGTBFKMWTS you have got to be f**king kidding me with this s**t. If used sparingly it's a winner.😏

I'm sure newsreaders and newspaper editors throughout the English speaking word are grateful that the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (an armed rebel group in the Philippines) were never significant enough to make international headlines. 

Last edited by Hansa (March 26, 2021 6:35 pm)

March 26, 2021 9:43 pm  #5

Hansa wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Imagine if Terry did a show on unfortunate but funny coincidences in acronyms in branding and marketing.

I'm sure newsreaders and newspaper editors throughout the English speaking word are grateful that the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (an armed rebel group in the Philippines) were never significant enough to make international headlines. 

That's genius Hansa, ya know, the SNL writing team could have a lot of fun with this. MILF indeedy.☺️

March 27, 2021 11:44 am  #6

Love listening to UTI but I am having difficulty placing Fred Latrimwah. Fred Latrimoe I know, Latrimwah not so much. Fred Latremouille  is a Vancouver radio legend. Terry should have gotten his name right.

March 27, 2021 10:44 pm  #7

Rune wrote:

Love listening to UTI but I am having difficulty placing Fred Latrimwah. Fred Latrimoe I know, Latrimwah not so much. Fred Latremouille  is a Vancouver radio legend. Terry should have gotten his name right.

Yes. That made me sad. Fred was to Vangroovy what Roger Ashby was to Toronto. I am sad that Terry didn’t take the time to get the right pronunciation. Seems odd for someone I consider a perfectionist.