sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2021 9:52 am  #1

B.J. Thomas Suffering From Possibly Terminal Lung Cancer

Singer B.J. Thomas, a class act who appeared on the charts throughout the 1970s, has announced he has stage four lung cancer.  According to the Oldies Board, he confirmed the diagnosis on his Facebook page. In his post, the artist claims he hopes for a complete recovery, but you don't have to be an oncologist to know that stage four is rarely something that sees you get better, especially at age 78.

He had a lot of great hits - his biggest was "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" from the film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - and Billboard says he notched 26 of them on the Hot 100 from 1966 through 1983. Another part of the soundtrack of many of our lives and a staple on oldies radio. And more sad news in a year that's already had way too much of it. 

B.J. Thomas Diagnosed With Stage 4 Lung Cancer 

March 24, 2021 10:06 am  #2

Re: B.J. Thomas Suffering From Possibly Terminal Lung Cancer

Wasn't a big fan of "Raindrops" My personal favourite of his tunes was "Eyes Of A New York Woman" from the summer of 1968.

March 24, 2021 10:19 am  #3

I liked "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" and especially "Rock & Roll Lullaby" with its Beach Boys-like background. Great voice and it would be a shame to lose him. He's one of those rare artists that could easily be played on CHUM or CFRB back in the day, with an appeal to both rock and MOR crowds. 

March 24, 2021 10:30 am  #4

It's good that he's still alive, but I guess he won't be singing for a while, if ever.
I suppose he could lip sync one last performance, maybe?
https://www.deadoraliveinfo.com/names/B.J._Thomas

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.