sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2021 7:49 am  #1

New promo on CFRB done from an echo chamber?

There is an new promo for Newstalk 1010 I've heard in recent weeks. It isn't the regular voice  I've heard in recent years. It sounds as if it's done from someones home in a room that gives it a hollow/echo sound. I'm not sure if it runs throughout the day. I don't listen to the station much after Moore in the Morning, unless  the promo for one of the other shows has a topic that. sounds particularly interesting. Anyone have any inside knowledge on who this is, and why they would run something like this instead of the usual studio produced promo?

March 17, 2021 8:53 am  #2

Re: New promo on CFRB done from an echo chamber?

Perhaps this promo was recorded in the NT1010 newsroom. It would make a perfect echo chamber, since nobody works there now.

March 17, 2021 10:51 am  #3

The morning show has slowly gotten lonelier in the past several years. Ever since Dave Agar retired. No news person, or sports reporter, or anyone else to directly interact with. I quite enjoyed The Early Edition with Robert Turner when Dave Agar would be on the show. I respected him, and his decades of journalism experience he brought to the mornings on CFRB for all those years. Russ Courtney did sit in the other chair for a while, but I guess it wasn't to his ( or some of the upper level brass ) liking. After that it just seemed that Robert Tuner was cribbing a number of stories from the CTV National news. If the stories were an item that occurred the previous day and I had already done my daily 'info junky' session on the internet, there wasn't much new on the program. Robert seems to be the only person ( outside of the regulars on The Morning Brief or the several doctors and other experts, and the round table sessions ) that John has to directly interact with throughout the morning show. I guess that was the compensation for Robert after losing his early show.

March 17, 2021 11:19 am  #4

Maybe they went back to the 50s and are using Reverb.

March 17, 2021 11:22 am  #5

Test  Yay!!!  Thanks RadioActive.

Last edited by John D (March 17, 2021 11:24 am)

March 17, 2021 12:59 pm  #6

Its weird.  I just can't listen to 1010 anymore.   After the massacre... it's just not the same.  It feels like I'm supporting a real crappy boss by listening... so I just don't.

March 17, 2021 1:05 pm  #7

John D wrote:

Seems the answer, my friend, was Blowin' In The Wind... 

March 17, 2021 1:23 pm  #8

John D wrote:

I thank you as well RA. Seems I'm able to get that much right. And you posted the photo in no time flat!

March 17, 2021 1:43 pm  #9

Happy to help anyone who needs it. When I can figure it out, that is!

March 17, 2021 2:05 pm  #10

Speaking of new promos on CFRB, I just heard one that was simply outrageous. It was bragging how CFRB has now brought together the news gathering prowess of NT1010 with CTV News, in a powerhouse combination. 

Sorry, what news gathering prowess of CFRB are they referring to? There are exactly two employees in the newsroom as near as I can tell, and both are used to anchor the now-single hourly update. The rest are either from CTV, CFRA in Ottawa or CKTB in St Catharines. There are no reporters left anywhere to cover anything. In other words, the promo means they're entirely leveraging CTV and maybe CP24. 

But "CFRB News?" After Bell's massive scythe took a huge divot out of the newsroom, that's now an oxymoron. 

March 17, 2021 9:10 pm  #11

A friend of mine pointed this out to me and I just heard it again on NT1010. It's a promo hyping their 'accurate' coverage of events surrounding the pandemic, and it starts with what sounds like an interview with CP24's Cam Woolley. 

He says something like, "It's an undisputed fact - Dr. David Williams (Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health) said 'I only read what they put in front of me.'" He then goes on to say we should be hitting back against such pronouncements. 

There's just one thing - it is most definitely NOT an indisputable fact that Williams said it. In fact, it was Dr. Barbara Yaffe, the Associate Medical Officer of Health, who was caught on mic talking to Williams right before a press conference last December.

That makes the statement a complete lie and regardless of whether you like Williams or not, he's being accused every time it runs (and it has for weeks) of something he didn't do, with the added emphasis of having it come from the mouth of a Bell Media reporter.

Ontario health official Dr. Barbara Yaffe responds to hot mic snafu

They really should stop airing this thing at once. Just because it was "good tape" doesn't mean it doesn't have to be accurate. 

March 18, 2021 9:59 am  #12

straight from "broadcasting bean counter central": "our staff is spending too much time making trips to the washroom! what if we..."

March 18, 2021 9:47 pm  #13

That promo/station identification recording sounds like the guy is under a manhole cover.  Is it Nathan Downer speaking?