sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2021 10:26 pm  #1

Why Channel 37 Doesn’t Exist (And What It Has to Do With Aliens)

Everyone knows there's no Channel 1 on the old analog TV system, but did you know there's never been a Channel 37 in North America? The sacrifice was for science.

Why Channel 37 Doesn’t Exist (And What It Has to Do With Aliens)

March 10, 2021 9:55 am  #2

Re: Why Channel 37 Doesn’t Exist (And What It Has to Do With Aliens)

Actually, there was a ch 1. It was discontinued by the FCC  on June 14, 1948. It's frequencies were assigned to mobile services and amateur radio.

March 14, 2021 3:45 am  #3

Re: Why Channel 37 Doesn’t Exist (And What It Has to Do With Aliens)

I've always known that channel 1 was never used for most of my life but didn't know about UHF channel 37 being unused until about 20 years ago or so and I was quite amazed! We all know that 37 is used as a channel number on cable television but on a different frequency than UHF.  I've always wondered what was so special with the analog television band ending at UHF channel 83, rather than at 90 or 99? I remember when I was younger I used to hear cellular phone interference between channels 70-83 and eventually that section was cut out on newer televisions sets and dropped down to channel 69 in the last couple of decades of analog television. So why weren't the UHF frequencies for what could of been used for channels 84-90 or even 99 never existed for over the air television?