sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 4, 2021 6:42 pm  #1

Viewer Alert: Long Unseen 1965 Murray The K Music Special On WNED

It hasn't been seen on TV since it first aired on June 28, 1965 on CBS. But a new and fully restored version of a show hosted by legendary DJ Murray The K (who also briefly worked at the very early CHUM-FM if memory serves) will air this coming week on PBS - including Buffalo's WNED. 

I just watched a five minute trailer of the special and - it's an expression I rarely use - it absolutely blew me away. Seeing some of the greatest artists of the 60s, including many from Motown, at their absolute peak, is simply amazing. And the quality is incredible.

It's called "What's Happening, Baby" (you can't get more 60s than that!) and features not only performances from legends, but comments about the show with the artists who performed on it - including the very last interview ever done with the late Supreme Mary Wilson.

It airs several times on Channel 17, with the first on Saturday night at 7 PM.

Other airtimes:

If you're reading this elsewhere, it will also likely air where you are, including Detroit. If this interests you, check to see when it's on in your area and set your DVR. This one looks like a keeper. 

More, including the trailer, here.

Among the songs and groups you'll see:

Nowhere To Run – Martha & The Vandellas

Walk On By – Dionne Warwick

Mrs. Brown You’ve Got A Lovely Daughter – Herman’s Hermits

Pride & Joy – Marvin Gaye

Land Of 1,000 Dances – Cannibal & The Headhunters

You’ll Never Walk Alone – Patti LaBelle & The Bluebelles

I’m Alright – Little Anthony & The Imperials

Be My Baby – The Ronettes

I Don’t Want To Cry – Chuck Jackson

My Guy – Mary Wells

The Seventh Son – Johnny Rivers

The Way You Do The Things You Do – The Temptations

Count Me In – Gary Lewis & The Playboys

Up On The Roof – The Drifters

Stop! In The Name Of Love – The Supremes

You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling – The Righteous Brothers

I Can’t Help Myself – Four Tops

Ooo Baby Baby – The Miracles

What’d I Say – Ray Charles

March 4, 2021 10:57 pm  #2

Re: Viewer Alert: Long Unseen 1965 Murray The K Music Special On WNED

The show is called “It’s What’s Happening Baby” in case you are doing a word search for your dvr.

March 4, 2021 11:50 pm  #3

Actually, I think on WNED, at least, it goes under the generic title "My Music:" before the "What's Happening Baby" is added. 

By the way, on Saturday, right before the Murray The K rerun is a special on the Carpenters. If it's the one I've seen before, it's really terrific and well worth a look.

You probably shouldn't watch any of them live, though. I suspect there will be 20 mins. of pledge breaks between each segment. And as good as this special looks, no one deserves to sit through that!

March 5, 2021 10:59 am  #4

I cannot wait RadioActive!!!

March 5, 2021 11:21 am  #5

John D wrote:

Which may explain why you never got a job in a restaurant...

March 5, 2021 12:57 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

John D wrote:

Which may explain why you never got a job in a restaurant...

March 5, 2021 3:31 pm  #7

Looking again at the trailer, it appears some of the performances are lip-synched, while others are live. But even for those who are simply mouthing the words, the settings are extremely bizarre.

There's Johnny Rivers on a beach dressed in a sailing outfit for some reason, singing "Seventh Son.".

Gary Lewis has his drum kit at the edge of the ocean, as the waves lap up behind him.

The Drifters are pictured on a rooftop singing - what else? - Up On The Roof.

Martha & The Vandellas are in a car manufacturing plant, presumably in Detroit, crooning "Nowhere To Run" in a newly made automobile, as it comes off an assembly line. (Shouldn't it be "Nowhere To Drive?")

And I'm not sure I even want to know what The Four Tops are doing as they force feed those little kids, but apparently they can say "I Can't Help Myself."

What a strangely staged show. It makes me more intrigued than ever to see it. 

March 6, 2021 12:43 am  #8

If you've got more than one PBS station in your abode and are interested in What's Happening Baby, there are some interesting alternatives.
BONUS! We've got three. WNED in Buffalo, WTVS in Detroit and KCTS, Seattle.
On Cogeco, we only get 'NED on the Standard Def tier, the other two are HD.

Skimming through the Program Guide, The Carpenters: Close To You that RA mentioned is on today (Saturday) at 5:30pm, What's Happening Baby at 7pm on WNED.

Check this rather dynamic lineup tonight (Saturday) on WTVS, Detroit:

What's Happening Baby at 7
Tina Turner: One Last Time (her Wembley London show) at 9
Tower of Power: 50 Years of - 10:30 to midnight ( hope they do Mr. Toad's Wild Ride)

And KCTS, Seattle shows It's What's Happening Baby tonight (Saturday) from 10-midnight.

Think we'll make it a Motor City Saturday Night!

Last edited by mike marshall (March 6, 2021 10:38 am)

March 6, 2021 12:25 pm  #9

T.J. Lubinsky who I happen to have lots of time & respect for appeared with George Noory last night on Coasttocoastam. T.J. put in two solid hours as a guest & took phone calls from listeners.

You can hear a small snippet from last nights show. There's a 12 minute 25 second podcast online -- the shows opening segment.

If someone wants to post the link you find the interview easily by searching "The best of coasttocoastam podcast"

March 6, 2021 10:10 pm  #10

Not sure about the C2C appearance. but here he is for 24 minutes on WGN Radio in Chicago. 

Producer TJ Lubinsky shares the encore of “It’s What’s Happening Baby” on PBS

March 7, 2021 1:25 am  #11

It was fun to watch.  I'd never seen any of that footage, even though there was a bootleg version or 2 out there through the years. The producer got the master tapes from Murray the K's son.

March 7, 2021 1:41 am  #12

RadioActive wrote:

Looking again at the trailer, it appears some of the performances are lip-synched, while others are live. But even for those who are simply mouthing the words, the settings are extremely bizarre.

There's Johnny Rivers on a beach dressed in a sailing outfit for some reason, singing "Seventh Son.".

Gary Lewis has his drum kit at the edge of the ocean, as the waves lap up behind him.

The Drifters are pictured on a rooftop singing - what else? - Up On The Roof.

Martha & The Vandellas are in a car manufacturing plant, presumably in Detroit, crooning "Nowhere To Run" in a newly made automobile, as it comes off an assembly line. (Shouldn't it be "Nowhere To Drive?")

And I'm not sure I even want to know what The Four Tops are doing as they force feed those little kids, but apparently they can say "I Can't Help Myself."

What a strangely staged show. It makes me more intrigued than ever to see it. 

And why were the dancers in the Gary Lewis video sitting in chairs and waving their arms but not, er ... dancing.

A great special from a special time.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 7, 2021 7:30 am  #13

And at the end, the credits seemed to roll so slowly.