sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2021 8:06 am  #31

Re: The Return Of Jim Richards To Bell Talk Network

Someone forgot to tell George... https://www.coasttocoastam.com/stations/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 1, 2021 8:20 am  #32

Hansa wrote:

Odds are it'll end up being the Late Showgram with Jim Richards or something like that. 

If only I had the same foresight when picking stocks. 

March 1, 2021 9:03 am  #33

According to the show page it's being carried in St. Catharines, Windsor, London, Ottawa, Kelowna, and Victoria, at least to start with. No Montreal or Vancouver (Vancouver is a BNN branded station but still you'd think Richards would be a better fit for it than George Noory's woo woo radio). 

https://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-1010/shows/the-late-showgram-with-jim-richards-1.14645758

March 1, 2021 9:35 am  #34

So was it any good? Or more of the same?

March 1, 2021 10:02 am  #35

Chrisphen wrote:

I recorded the stream for my own listening and will listen to it back today, but what I did hear live had the typical irreverent Jim Richards style - love it or hate it, people tend to be quite polarized on whether that appeals to them. I did catch one segment live with Alan Cross on (pre-taped obviously) talking about some AM radio history which I thought pretty good.

March 1, 2021 10:10 am  #36

On the Coast to Coast website it shows a Toronto station that carries the show called   SOUN-FM (null FM ). Does anyone have a clue as to who/ what that station is? It doesn't give a frequency. I must have missed something.

March 1, 2021 10:31 am  #37

AspectRatio wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

I recorded the stream for my own listening and will listen to it back today, but what I did hear live had the typical irreverent Jim Richards style - love it or hate it, people tend to be quite polarized on whether that appeals to them. I did catch one segment live with Alan Cross on (pre-taped obviously) talking about some AM radio history which I thought pretty good.

Does it strike anyone else as strange that one of the first guests on a Bell Media show was a guy who very publicly works for Corus? Talk about strange bedfellows. 

I can't believe how hard they're hyping this on 'RB. John Moore talked about it every half hour, including playing clips from the show, and so did Jerry Agar. It's on after midnight! No matter how much they like Jim Richards and no matter how hard they tubthump the thing, it's never going to have a huge audience. 

I noted it in a previous post, but I've never heard so much PR given to an overnight radio program. I wonder how long that will continue.  

March 1, 2021 10:37 am  #38

Norman peters wrote:

On the Coast to Coast website it shows a Toronto station that carries the show called   SOUN-FM (null FM ). Does anyone have a clue as to who/ what that station is? It doesn't give a frequency. I must have missed something.

Can't answer your question, although I believe that may be an error on their site. (And as has been previously pointed out, they're still listing all the Bell stations that are no longer clients.)

Far more interesting, though, is what happens to the Canadian rights to Coast to Coast? Does Bell retain them to keep the show away from competitors? (Although, with Corus already having an established overnight show, who else here might have room for it?)

Hey, maybe it will end up on Sauga 960! They seem to have room for everything. 

March 1, 2021 10:44 am  #39

RadioActive wrote:

Far more interesting, though, is what happens to the Canadian rights to Coast to Coast? Does Bell retain them to keep the show away from competitors? (Although, with Corus already having an established overnight show, who else here might have room for it?)

As suggested earlier in this thread, maybe the plan is to toss Coast to Coast on AM 1150 in Hamilton. 

If not, 960 would be a nice fit for it. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 1, 2021 11:47 am  #40

They've finally put up a page for the show. Although I do have kind of a problem with Jim Richards being described as a "writer, and political commentator." What, exactly, has he written, other than his not-always-so-amusing shtick and one liners that start off his show? And does occasionally criticizing Doug Ford or Justin Trudeau in a joking way qualify you as a political commentator? 

Anyway I wish him luck in the time slot. I've worked a few overnight shifts in the past and it's like tumbling into a deep hole where no one can hear you and you can't quite climb out, a kind of alternate reality. Still, he's done it before at the Fan, so perhaps he's ready to face the drop in audience - although he will have a fair bit of the country to count on for calls if he needs them.

The Late Showgram Page

March 1, 2021 5:52 pm  #41

RadioActive wrote:

They've finally put up a page for the show. Although I do have kind of a problem with Jim Richards being described as a "writer, and political commentator." What, exactly, has he written, other than his not-always-so-amusing shtick and one liners that start off his show? And does occasionally criticizing Doug Ford or Justin Trudeau in a joking way qualify you as a political commentator?

Yeah, they're really stretching it with the "political commentator" label, although I suppose you could say a "new" meaning of it is folks like Trevor Noah or Stephen Colbert riffing on the day's news and politics with splashes of humor (and not the stuffy "old" image of a political pundit), which Jim (sometimes) does. Perhaps (and being generous) it might also refer to his regular 1010 John Moore morning show roundtable appearances kicking around opinions as well?

Interesting that CJAD 800 Montreal still shows schedule-wise that they're not carrying Jim's show and remaining with "Coast to Coast". Do the decision-makers think Jim's show might not play as well in Quebec? Is it a strategic/rights issue to hang onto the "Coast to Coast" rights and that's a station they've let continue doing it? (By the way, would they lapse if they hold them yet not heard on any stations? i.e. Buying them up and renewing them just to keep them away from competitors? Wonder if there's a clause that rights holder of them MUST broadcast them - somewhere.)

Last edited by AspectRatio (March 1, 2021 5:53 pm)

March 2, 2021 1:08 am  #42

AspectRatio wrote:

Interesting that CJAD 800 Montreal still shows schedule-wise that they're not carrying Jim's show and remaining with "Coast to Coast".

Jim Richards IS on CJAD. I guess they haven't had time to update their website.

March 2, 2021 6:56 pm  #43

eladb wrote:

Jim Richards IS on CJAD. I guess they haven't had time to update their website.

Thanks, eladb, for giving it a listen and confirming. I see they finally updated their website during the day today to reflect the show. Hmm, I guess when one guts a lot of staff and frantically reorganized/centralized some functions, some things fall by the wayside... who'd have thunk?!

Last edited by AspectRatio (March 2, 2021 6:56 pm)

March 2, 2021 7:32 pm  #44

RadioActive wrote:

Bell is still the Canadian syndicator for the show. They'd have no issue having non-Bell stations run it as they collect some of the ad dollars when they do.

March 2, 2021 9:07 pm  #45

local issue = insomnia.  then again it could also be a national issue. it reminds me of the double mint gum commercials (back in my day).
it also reminds me of one of comments i made, on this here yellow board, back when he first started at 'rb (doing all nights). i believe i typed; "his show is filled with more ah's than a doctor's office". he's obviously improved since then... but he will have to work on obtaining/creating a lot of content (more than needed during a day shift).

March 2, 2021 9:22 pm  #46

I tried to listen to a few minutes of the first show now that the recording is up. Is there something wrong with the speed of the recording or does he always talk that slow? (I guess you don't want fast-talking radio at that time of the night but it was hard to listen to). 

March 2, 2021 10:48 pm  #47

By the way, that 5-hour block, is that an "organic", original 5 hours the entire time? I admit I haven't listened as closely as maybe I should, but I could swear Corus's overnight "The Shift" in the Drex-hosted era (and maybe still?) either had a technical producer chopping up the best callers/comedy bits/interviews for an "encore" in the show's last hour, or the local station I was hearing it on just reran the first hour again (thinking a listener wouldn't be awake/around to hear both top of show and this reroll after show's end). I know Jim pre-tapes some segments for guests during more normal daytime hours, but is he live and throwing to those for the entire 5 hour block or is there some repeating of the show within there?

EDIT: Looks like the podcast versions only make available each of the 4 hours (trimmed for commercials/news), so I'm suspecting the 5th hour is a "best of" that night or rerolling one of the hours. When the show was initially promoted by hosts on 1010 they were saying it was "midnight to 4 am".

Last edited by AspectRatio (March 2, 2021 11:03 pm)

March 3, 2021 11:43 am  #48

AspectRatio wrote:

EDIT: Looks like the podcast versions only make available each of the 4 hours (trimmed for commercials/news), so I'm suspecting the 5th hour is a "best of" that night or rerolling one of the hours. When the show was initially promoted by hosts on 1010 they were saying it was "midnight to 4 am".

I think a rerunning the first hour during the last hour is fairly typical for overnight shows. Larry King used to do it when he had his overnight show on Mutual and on TV I remember CBS' overnight news block used to do that in the 80s and 90s. 

Last edited by Hansa (March 3, 2021 11:44 am)

March 4, 2021 6:45 pm  #49

I listened last night for a bit. It is nice to have two overnight live shows on that are not talking conspiracy crap.