sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2021 11:20 am  #1

FM Stereo

I recently stumbled across an interesting article entitled "History's Dumpster: The History of FM Radio"  In it there is a 1961 photograph of the Scott 350, the world's first FM Stereo receiver. Have any members heard of/experimented with this receiver?

February 24, 2021 11:35 am  #2

Re: FM Stereo

Here's the link to the article Mace refers to, in case anyone wants to read it. 

History's Dumpster: The History of FM Radio

February 24, 2021 7:59 pm  #3

Yes.  I have one and it's a nice sounding tuner.  It doesn't perform as well as newer tuners in terms of stereo separation, sensitivity, etc. but it sounds good and was the tuner in my main system for about five years in the early 2000s.  It could do with some of the usual care and feeding electronics of that vintage needs that it didn't get the last time it got serviced.

It's hard to believe that tuner and the Zenith-GE standard for FM stereo turn 60 this year.

February 25, 2021 9:57 am  #4

mace wrote:

I recently stumbled across an interesting article entitled "History's Dumpster: The History of FM Radio"  In it there is a 1961 photograph of the Scott 350, the world's first FM Stereo receiver. Have any members heard of/experimented with this receiver?

I saw one for sale for a long time at a vintage audio store. Have not visited the store in a few months and so I don't know if it's still there or if the store has re-opened. Hope it will not be a covid casualty.  

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/