sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2021 10:37 am  #1

Sunday Simsub Question

On Sunday, Fox's primetime programing was thrown into major disarray when the Daytona 500 was delayed for hours and hours by bad weather.  By 11 PM, the seemingly endless coverage was still going on. This was, of course, completely unexpected, and Fox had scheduled its usual Animation Domination for the 8-10 PM time slot. 

Which leads me to a question I hope someone here can answer. City TV holds the rights in Canada to shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy, and new episodes were scheduled. Does anyone know if they wound up showing the originals or a rerun?

The last time this happened was just a few weeks ago. City actually showed 45 minutes of a new hour long episode, realized simsub wasn't happening because of a sports overrun on a U.S. network, and then ran the last 15 minutes of an entirely different show, no doubt thoroughly confusing viewers who had no idea what happened to the end of their program. 

It's one of the hazards of simultaneous substitution, which seems more important to management than actually serving viewers. Did City get caught again on Sunday? I'd be curious to know. 

February 15, 2021 11:21 am  #2

Re: Sunday Simsub Question

I don't know. I never watch the East Coast feed because of simsub. Not really a racing fan, Had it been a football overrun, I would have done some channel flipping out of curiosity.

February 15, 2021 11:36 am  #3

Citytv Vancouver did air the new Bob’s Burgers and Family Guy starting at 10pm PT. The Fox affiliate on cable, KCPQ Tacoma had news scheduled at that time but I didn’t check to see what they were actually airing at that time.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (February 15, 2021 12:48 pm)

February 15, 2021 12:46 pm  #4

I managed to see a feed from KTTV, the Fox affiliate in L.A .from Sunday night. At around 10 minutes to 1 AM (our time) the coverage of the race finally, almost mercifully, ended. They then joined a Family Guy rerun already in progress. 

Curious, I went to the City TV website. Sure enough, the new FG episode that was supposed to run on Sunday night was on there. So they apparently did run it in Toronto, even though there was no simsub. Same with the new Bob's Burgers. (Can't tell with The Simpsons, since there's no way to watch it online from City's site, but given the evidence of the other shows and that this one came first in primetime, I'm pretty sure they also ran the new one.) 

That means Rogers will either have to show the same episodes again, presumably next week when Fox finally airs them, to get the benefit of simsub, or else put in a rerun of alternate programming in their place. (Will the cable companies know enough NOT to interrupt the American signals if the episodes are different?) 

They can't be too happy about what happened, but apparently no one there got the word that these episodes never made it to air in the U.S. 

February 15, 2021 12:50 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I managed to see a feed from KTTV, the Fox affiliate in L.A .from Sunday night. At around 10 minutes to 1 AM (our time) the coverage of the race finally, almost mercifully, ended. They then joined a Family Guy rerun already in progress. 

Curious, I went to the City TV website. Sure enough, the new FG episode that was supposed to run on Sunday night was on there. So they apparently did run it in Toronto, even though there was no simsub. Same with the new Bob's Burgers. (Can't tell with the The Simpsons, since there's no way to watch it online from City's site, but given the evidence of the other shows and that this one came first in primetime, I'm pretty sure they also ran the new one.) 

CKVU did not air a new Simpsons last night from what I could see - only FG and Bob’s Burgers.

February 15, 2021 12:59 pm  #6

Now that's very interesting. Why would they run the others new but not that one? Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice. 

February 15, 2021 2:45 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Now that's very interesting. Why would they run the others new but not that one? Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice. 

The Simpsons has some of the strictest rules when it comes to distribution. They were one of the last shows to be on any streaming platform.

In this case, I'd guess there's a rule stating that the show can't be run by any affiliate before it gets its full network run. Prevents it from popping up online early too.

February 22, 2021 1:34 am  #8

I can’t speak for Toronto and Buffalo, but on the west coast Fox is airing the Bob’s Burgers and Family Guy episodes that aired on Citytv last Sunday - while Citytv has American Idol, simsubbed from ABC.