sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2021 6:37 pm  #1

CKLW-TV's "Bozo The Clown" Dies At 86

This article isn't for everyone, but if you were raised in Windsor or Detroit in the 60s or 70s, you knew Art Cervi - although maybe not by his real name. As the linked article notes, the man who became Motown's favourite Bozo was also a talent coordinator for CKLW-TV's famous "Swingin' Time" dance show.

And for a clown, he certainly took the role seriously:

"He had a clause written into his contract requiring that he be chauffeured to the station in full gear – not because he enjoyed celebrity but because he worried that if the kids saw Bozo without his clown regalia it would torch their bond with their humorous hero."

Art Cervi, Detroit TV's Bozo the Clown in the 1960s and '70s, dies at age 86

February 18, 2021 9:32 pm  #2

Re: CKLW-TV's "Bozo The Clown" Dies At 86

My family lived in Sarnia until I was around 2 or 3 and there's a picture in a photo album of me watching what must have been this Bozo on TV - but I have absolutely no recollection of ever actually watching the show (or anything from then, to be honest).

February 18, 2021 9:35 pm  #3

Not a good week for old bozos.

February 18, 2021 10:09 pm  #4

Old Bozo's are nothing to "Chuckles" at, just ask Mary...

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (February 18, 2021 10:09 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 18, 2021 11:19 pm  #5

Very sad to read this news today. Don't think I ever saw Art Cervi in a bad mood in the hallways at CKLW, which
included both radio and TV in the late '60s and early '70s.
At one time during my stay there, Art was giving away huge see-thru plastic bags of popcorn, in the shape of but much larger than a sleeping pillow. He was kind enough to give me one. My first wife and I took an entire Habs-Bruins playoff series to get through it. Delicious!
Funny how you never forget such gestures. Great guy.