sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2021 5:53 pm  #1

Funny business in Vancouver

A BC DXer reports: Feb09 21:27 = 1040 CKST Vancouver has dropped all-sports; now stunting w/pop, rock, hiphop until Friday when "Funny 1040" all-comedy launches //co-owned 1060 CKMX Calgary & 820 CHAM Hamilton...

February 9, 2021 6:41 pm  #2

Re: Funny business in Vancouver

Saul wrote:

A BC DXer reports: Feb09 21:27 = 1040 CKST Vancouver has dropped all-sports; now stunting w/pop, rock, hiphop until Friday when "Funny 1040" all-comedy launches //co-owned 1060 CKMX Calgary & 820 CHAM Hamilton...

There will also be a Funny in Winnipeg, via CFRW 1290 - also a now-former TSN outlet.

What I find strange is the retention of CFRN 1260 in Edmonton as a TSN outlet, even though they do not have an NHL team (unlike the remaining TSN stations in Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto). The Oilers air on Corus' CHED 630. What I don't know is when the radio rights for the Oilers might be up for renewal; if it's coming soon, Bell might be holding onto CFRN in the hopes of snatching the rights from CHED. Pure speculation, I have no connection with any of the companies involved.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (February 9, 2021 6:46 pm)

February 9, 2021 6:57 pm  #3

Oddly, Bell did take out a funny1200 domain for Ottawa, but not the equivalent for Montreal, Toronto, or Edmonton.

February 9, 2021 7:37 pm  #4

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Saul wrote:

There will also be a Funny in Winnipeg, via CFRW 1290 - also a now-former TSN outlet.

What I find strange is the retention of CFRN 1260 in Edmonton as a TSN outlet, even though they do not have an NHL team (unlike the remaining TSN stations in Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto). The Oilers air on Corus' CHED 630. What I don't know is when the radio rights for the Oilers might be up for renewal; if it's coming soon, Bell might be holding onto CFRN in the hopes of snatching the rights from CHED. Pure speculation, I have no connection with any of the companies involved.

The Oilers re-signed with Sportsnet and 630 CHED before this season started.
https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-630-ched-celebrate-25-year-partnership/c-320134536

One possible reason why TSN 1260 is still around is that the station reportedly profitable enough for Bell to keep around (they did lay off at least 1 person from the station today). They do well in the M35-50 demo in Edmonton, a city nutty about the Oilers and CFL football, and usually turn to TSN 1260 for analysis and commentary that doesn't carry water for the teams like CHED. 

Last edited by ED1 (February 9, 2021 7:43 pm)

February 10, 2021 4:41 pm  #5

ED1 wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Saul wrote:

The Oilers re-signed with Sportsnet and 630 CHED before this season started.
https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-630-ched-celebrate-25-year-partnership/c-320134536

One possible reason why TSN 1260 is still around is that the station reportedly profitable enough for Bell to keep around (they did lay off at least 1 person from the station today). They do well in the M35-50 demo in Edmonton, a city nutty about the Oilers and CFL football, and usually turn to TSN 1260 for analysis and commentary that doesn't carry water for the teams like CHED. 

Probably also helps that 1260 is the only sports station in Edmonton. Vancouver obviously has a competitor in 650, and Winnipeg is a smaller market.

February 13, 2021 8:37 pm  #6

A Vancouver website decided to review the newly minted Funny 1040, which took over from Bell's all sports format in B.C. It may not surprise you that he found it was no laughing matter. 

"In summary, you're probably better off listening to reruns of Malcolm in the Middle or Frasier if you're looking for some laughs. Or comedy podcasts."

I listened to the comedy station that replaced TEAM1040 so you don't have to

February 13, 2021 8:48 pm  #7

I'm a standup fan, but I can't really listen to Funny.

Two problems:

Comedy, like music, has different genres and cultures. In fact, I'd say the differences are even more pronounced in comedy. If you don't like a particular comedian, you can't just sort of tune them out and wait for the next one to come on. Because it's active listening - a comedian you don't like can be very grating. Of course, Funny plays them all.

Conversely, if a comedian you really like is on, the selection ends up being frustratingly short.

Also, there's a lot of reverb and room noise on a lot of these bits -- on a super-compressed AM signal, I often find it hard to actually hear everything the comedian is saying. That's my experience with 820 anyway. Maybe the Vancouver/Winnipeg stations sound better.

I want to like this format. I don't.

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 13, 2021 8:48 pm)