sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2021 3:05 pm  #1

Car Radio Question

They say a little information is a dangerous thing. I guess it is. 

I just spent the last half hour watching reputable YouTube videos about the entertainment system in a car I'm looking to buy. It won't surprise anyone that a car radio is the single most important essential on any auto I might buy. And I admit it's been a long time since I've had a new car - my old one is from 2006 and has definitely seen better days. 

As I watched the explanations of the audio screen in the model I'm looking at, I got angrier and angrier. This thing is so complicated, with so many menus and buttons to go through before just getting to the radio (Bluetooth, Sirius, phone settings, notifications, updates, maintenance, audio settings, and on and on and on) that it's almost impossible to figure it out. Even the manual is on-screen only, which won't help if something on the system malfunctions. 

My questions for those who've bought a more recent vehicle: Are you happy with your system? Do you use most of the functions? Was there a major learning curve to get familiar with them? And are there some you could live without?  Finally, would a bad entertainment system change your mind about a car you wanted to buy?

My current car has just an AM &FM radio with the ability to switch stations and adjust the volume on the steering wheel. And you know what? It's perfect. It's all I need or want. Yes, I'm old fashioned in that way. But frankly, I don't have the time or interest to learn a new system when all I want to do is play the damn radio! I wonder if anyone else has gone through this frustration or has any advice.  

February 7, 2021 3:18 pm  #2

Re: Car Radio Question

See I just bought a "new to me" 1999 Toyota Camry XLE v6 last summer, so I'm taken care of for awhile when it comes to radio listening.  It has a quite decent sounding CD Player (so I'm going to be burning CDs for at least another three years - I'm OK with that).

What would interest you RadioActive, is that it boasts a better than average AM section with slightly wider bandwidth than average (perhaps with 5 or 6 KHz response), so it's a tad more musical than most tuners when listening to the CFAJ experiment .  Speech contains clear consonant blends, and doesn't sound like you're placing your hand over your mouth.

I think once electrical vehicles come into their own, interference might severely hamper AM reception.  I don't know if HD radio is being incorporated into too many new vehicles, but I'm aware that AM stations are often piggybacked onto sub-channels of the primary FM station frequency.

Does your car of choice have an HD tuner RadioActive?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 7, 2021 3:54 pm  #3

My car is a 2016 and has a lot of toys in the infotainment area.  But the radio works about the same as it always has.  I have my preselect stations for FM, Sirius XM and AM, although the car offers more pre selects for FM.  I can use all of the controls either on the screen or steering wheel.  The AM tuner is alright, I can pull in all the Toronto AM stations from Kitchener.  But I know what you are saying, the section for the sound system in my owners manual is huge.  But if you only want to use the radio and not much else then you should be alright.

February 7, 2021 3:54 pm  #4

I think the biggest disappointment you're going to find going from a 2006 to a 2021 would be the terrible sound quality of the AM tuner, even in the higher-end units.

I know you listen to mostly AM radio, so I'd suggest making sure you get a system with HD.

February 7, 2021 4:15 pm  #5

Jody Thornton wrote:

Does your car of choice have an HD tuner RadioActive?

RadioAaron wrote:

I know you listen to mostly AM radio, so I'd suggest making sure you get a system with HD.

No, my current car doesn't have HD. In fact, I've never owned a radio with that capability, although I'd like to. The car I'm looking at does have it, but too many other needless bells and whistles. You should see this thing. A volume dial that also acts as a joystick, a separate dial controller that you have to click to choose a menu and a separate section with 16 different menus, that then leads to another 16 submenus. Even the videos with spokesmen for the vehicle admit they've had a lot of complaints about it, but they claim it just takes some getting used to. 

That may be true, but I really don't want to have to study for three weeks to figure out how to tune in GNR640 or CBC Radio 1.

paterson1 wrote:

The section for the sound system in my owners manual is huge.  But if you only want to use the radio and not much else then you should be alright.

Yes, but unlike what they say about travel, getting there isn't half the fun! All I want is the damn radio! What an unnecessarily complicated mess and something that's making this idiotically complicated.

The other irritant I've talked about before is FM 1 & FM 2 - which offers up more presets I will never use. Meanwhile, there aren't enough AM choices that I would like to set, and they're very limited. And as noted, yes, I'm not like other car buyers. Why do radios restrict AM and double up on FM? Shouldn't it be up to the user to decide which band he or she prefers?  

Car manufacturers seem hellbent on outdoing each other in the area of entertainment systems. Whatever happened to the KISS method - Keep It Simple Stupid! 

February 7, 2021 4:27 pm  #6

In the "good ol' days" (as grilled.cheese might say) you could order your new vehicle "radio delete' and separately order an aftermarket sound system.   Radios are now an integral part of unrelated electronic systems.     

It's become take it or leave it.

February 7, 2021 4:37 pm  #7

I just bought a 2017 Chev Cruze LT.   It is the RS model and has an upgraded audio system and I LOVE IT.  A little complicated but took the time to learn.
Here is what I love.   There is a small plug just up from shifter that I thought was for a cord to charge phone or whatever.   No.   It is for a USB stick.
All of my music has been uploaded to my computer, so I just downloaded it to a stick (about 6000 songs) and it plays through car audio system which really does sound good.
Also has a read out of song playing, on the screen, a list of what is coming up next ect. so I can jump around, play full albums, or shuffle around, and did I say, it really sounds good.    
Car also came with 3 months of Sirus, but I never use it, nor do I listen to any stations. 
Take a little time, play around, these systems are a little complicated at first, but amazing.  

February 7, 2021 4:51 pm  #8

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

I just bought a 2017 Chev Cruze LT.   It is the RS model and has an upgraded audio system and I LOVE IT.  A little complicated but took the time to learn.
Here is what I love.   There is a small plug just up from shifter that I thought was for a cord to charge phone or whatever.   No.   It is for a USB stick.
All of my music has been uploaded to my computer, so I just downloaded it to a stick (about 6000 songs) and it plays through car audio system which really does sound good.
Also has a read out of song playing, on the screen, a list of what is coming up next ect. so I can jump around, play full albums, or shuffle around, and did I say, it really sounds good.    
Car also came with 3 months of Sirus, but I never use it, nor do I listen to any stations. 
Take a little time, play around, these systems are a little complicated at first, but amazing.  

I'm so glad your system works for you. But what happens if you don't want any of it? I can learn it, of course. But it doesn't meet my needs in any way and I wish there was some way I could opt out of the thing.

By the way, the fact you can read the song title and other info on your screen sounds good at first blush. But you're supposed to be looking at the road. In an age where just picking up your cell phone while driving is a criminal offence carrying huge fines and demerit points off your licence for distracted driving, who thought putting the equivalent of a TV screen in your windshield was a good idea? 

February 7, 2021 7:01 pm  #9

I drive a 2006 Toyota Camry which has 6 AM and 12 FM presets and yes there are controls on the steering wheel. I had some major repairs done recently and I thought I would check out some of the newer models. I test drove a dark blue with black interior 2020 Camry. When I started the car, push button would take some getting used to, the instrument panel lit up. Talk about information overload. I thought I was in an airplane cockpit. Black interior was extremely claustropobic. The "Entertainment System" sounded great but like you RA, learning how to operate it, would be extremely intimidating for me. I just want to listen to the radio and I do have all 12 FM presets filled. And if I can't find anything interesting, DXing is always an option. For now, I will stick with my 06 Camry.

February 7, 2021 7:34 pm  #10

OK, I am sorry if this offends anyone, and I post this with all due respect to all, but I am wondering this.   Most of those discussing this I believe worked in radio.   On air studios and production studios, many different inputs, buttons pods, as of the last couple of decades computers, ect.  How did you easily manage all of that, but are being scared off by a car stereo.   Having done both trust me, the car audio system is much easier and less intimidating.    

February 7, 2021 7:44 pm  #11

grilled.cheese wrote:

Get a better data plan and stream everything with your phone

Can't say I disagree with the idea as this is the future of something once known as "radio"

February 7, 2021 7:51 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

Even the manual is on-screen only

ha ha

Reminds me of a car I rented in Europe.  Everything was controlled through the touch screen.  Only problems was, everything was in German!

It took quite a while to work through all the menus to find "language"

February 7, 2021 8:08 pm  #13

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

Most of those discussing this I believe worked in radio.   On air studios and production studios, many different inputs, buttons pods, as of the last couple of decades computers, etc.  How did you easily manage all of that, but are being scared off by a car stereo?   

Just-a:   Technical difficulties are temporary.     Do not adjust your dial.

February 7, 2021 8:16 pm  #14

Just-a:   Technical difficulties are temporary.     Do not adjust your dial.

Hilarious.  Thank you

February 7, 2021 8:42 pm  #15

I expected the derision and you have a point. But you know all this stuff just adds to the cost. I kind of compare it to getting a new computer. One of the first things you do is turn it on and get rid of all the bloatware that's installed on it by the manufacturer. 

That's how I feel about having bells and whistles I don't need or want. I just think there should be a way to avoid them if that's what you want. After all, next to a house, a car is one of the biggest expenses you'll run into in your lifetime. The least they can do for those big bucks is give some consumers what they want - not what the carmakers do. 

February 7, 2021 11:50 pm  #16

That's funny about the computer. I would need one of my tech friends to remove the 'bloatware'

February 8, 2021 9:07 am  #17

These new features are great, but you are in big trouble if you can't dim the infotainment display in a rental car from Halifax airport on a foggy night drive to the city. All systems need a "novice" mode. 

February 8, 2021 9:21 am  #18

I have a 2013 VW which has HD (AM &FM HD) and sirius.  Simple to use.  Very happy with the audio quality. I can receive a few AM (US) stations in HD at night. (many turn off HD due to skywave issues).  Yes, I have good controls on the steering wheel.  I assume that VW has taken their audio systems up a few notches since then.  In the U.S .a few stations displayed album artwork in colour on HD.  Pretty cool.  As primative as bluetooth in cars was in 2013, I have had no issues streaming from my bluetooh audio devices. There is a well marked "button" on the touch screen for bluetooth media as well.  The only complaint was that in 2013 there was a direct connection in the glove box to the audio system (which also supplied charging) but it had an earlier generation apple docking plug, so it was never useful.  The dongle to convert it was outrageously expensive, so I've always used bluetooth and a charger plugged into the cigarette lighter.  

Last edited by tvguy (February 8, 2021 9:27 am)