sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 6, 2021 7:09 am  #1

A Disgrace

The 6:00 am newscast on 1010 was a CP broadcast.  No local news, just a mish mash of old stories with little or no interest.  As a retired ND I shudder at what the future holds for the newsrooms of today.  I really don't think the number crunchers at Bell Media realize what they have done, or possibly don't care. It would be ironic if someone who is a victim of the Bell Media purge is a BCE stockholder!

February 6, 2021 7:12 am  #2

Re: A Disgrace

laffin wrote:

It would be ironic if someone who is a victim of the Bell Media purge is a BCE stockholder!

BCE Inc. rose from approx $54 to approx $56 over the past five trading sessions

February 6, 2021 8:22 am  #3

laffin wrote:

The 6:00 am newscast on 1010 was a CP broadcast.  No local news, just a mish mash of old stories with little or no interest.  As a retired ND I shudder at what the future holds for the newsrooms of today.  I really don't think the number crunchers at Bell Media realize what they have done, or possibly don't care. It would be ironic if someone who is a victim of the Bell Media purge is a BCE stockholder!

That is very odd. Why they don't at least have someone in Ottawa's CFRA pretending to be in Toronto, reading the news is anyone's guess.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 6, 2021 9:08 am  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

That is very odd. Why they don't at least have someone in Ottawa's CFRA pretending to be in Toronto, reading the news is anyone's guess.

Agreed. For what it's worth, they did have someone at the 7:00 am and 8:00 am hour newscasts doing just that. I guess their shift hadn't start yet for the 6:00 am one, hence why they went with the CP feed.

I realize they're getting used to new processes, people (on and off-mic, i.e. board ops), perhaps automation software routines, and centralization, etc. so there's bound to be kinks. The tail end of the 8:00 am newscast's weather report airing at about 8:04 am said "Your news coming up next at 8:00 am, where Toronto gets its information, on Newstalk 1010!". Ooops. Guess they ran the weather break from the 7 am hour instead.

February 6, 2021 12:09 pm  #5

At least the name of the newsreader from CP at 6 am was a familiar one to any long time listeners of CFRB 1010. Lori Paris went to CP a number of years ago. Still doesn't make up for the fact that there isn't a news department at 1010 anymore. Just a handful of news readers,with most of the stories from previously aired items on CTV newscasts.

February 6, 2021 12:44 pm  #6

Chris Holski was reading the news on 1010 this morning, in the newscasts I heard...a quick Google search revealed that he's based in Ottawa. 

February 6, 2021 4:14 pm  #7

This has been going on for a long time in the States. A jock can physically be in, say, Dallas and at the same time be doing morning shows in 5-6 other markets all over the U.S. News is no different - you could do a newscast in Boise, Idaho from Wellington, New Zealand if you wanted, and no one would know the difference. It sounds local, but it really isn't. Consultants would say if the listener doesn't know the difference - and it helps the bottom line - then what's the problem with it? Purists would say that a newscast that is actually local is a better newscast. But profits usurp quality. Can't blame them for trying to make money, but how many millions in profit do you really need?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 6, 2021 4:35 pm  #8

Dale Patterson wrote:

This has been going on for a long time in the States. A jock can physically be in, say, Dallas and at the same time be doing morning shows in 5-6 other markets all over the U.S. News is no different - you could do a newscast in Boise, Idaho from Wellington, New Zealand if you wanted, and no one would know the difference. It sounds local, but it really isn't. Consultants would say if the listener doesn't know the difference - and it helps the bottom line - then what's the problem with it? Purists would say that a newscast that is actually local is a better newscast. But profits usurp quality. Can't blame them for trying to make money, but how many millions in profit do you really need?

Also, accuracy is key. 
What if there is a local report on a fire and two streets sound very similar?
Does this mean someone local would have pronounced the street name correctly, but someone further away may make a clear error that could have been avoided?  
If it's Pien street is that Pine? or Pee yin?  
I mean hey? I'm just brainstorming examples, but pronouncing a street name wrong steers listeners into the wrong panic...What? My friend's house?  No...just someone pronouncing the street name wrong. lol 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 6, 2021 5:48 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Also, accuracy is key. 
Does this mean someone local would have pronounced the street name correctly, but someone further away may make a clear error that could have been avoided?  
I mean hey? I'm just brainstorming examples, but pronouncing a street name wrong steers listeners into the wrong panic...What? My friend's house?  No...just someone pronouncing the street name wrong. lol 

I couldn't agree more. This slip-shod method of doing things will lead to lots of mistakes. But that's the way it is now,,and it's not likely to change.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 6, 2021 8:10 pm  #10

The most famous example of checking to see if the newsreader is familiar with Toronto is if something happens on "Balliol St." Gets the out-of-towners every time. 

I once heard a news reader who was obviously new to Toronto read a story that happened on Yonge St. (rhymes with Lunge.) Obviously not a local boy!

Niagara residents can deduce how much someone knows when the word "Dalhousie" comes up in a yarn. Another dead giveaway!

February 7, 2021 7:23 am  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Also, accuracy is key. 

Seems it didn't take long for a newscaster from another city to say the wrong location for a news story in the GTA. The 6am newscast on CFRB by the young lad from Ottawa spoke about the tragedy that occurred in Mount Albert, stated it happened on Mount Allison.

February 7, 2021 8:09 am  #12

RadioActive wrote:

The most famous example of checking to see if the newsreader is familiar with Toronto is if something happens on "Balliol St." Gets the out-of-towners every time. 

I once heard a news reader who was obviously new to Toronto read a story that happened on Yonge St. (rhymes with Lunge.) Obviously not a local boy!

Niagara residents can deduce how much someone knows when the word "Dalhousie" comes up in a yarn. Another dead giveaway!

Two other Toronto examples that mess up non-residents. Queens Quay and Strachan Ave. When I tested the name on Google Voice, it came up Strong Ave, then Strawn Ave. When I pronounced it incorrectly, the correct spelling arrived.