sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2021 11:43 am  #1

WECK in Buffalo, pulls a Conservative talk show, for different reasons

David DiPietro hosted a successful, well listened to "Conservative" talk show on WECK-AM in Buffalo, it got pulled shortly after the election. 

The reason for it being pulled was due to a representative from Antifa, threatening the ownership group, that they would risk the possibility of them "burning the station down" if the show continued.

Not exactly a warning one takes lightly as it could "risk everything",  said CEO Buddy Shula. 

This is pretty dark, if this kind of limit on free speech is being threatened. My view is if I don't want to listen to something, I can always tune out and turn it off...but a threat to do damage is very real and a bit brutal.

Here's more on the story...

https://radioink.com/2021/01/27/conservative-show-pulled-its-not-what-you-think/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 28, 2021 12:39 pm  #2

Re: WECK in Buffalo, pulls a Conservative talk show, for different reasons

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

David DiPietro hosted a successful, well listened to "Conservative" talk show on WECK-AM in Buffalo, it got pulled shortly after the election. 

The reason for it being pulled was due to a representative from Antifa, threatening the ownership group, that they would risk the possibility of them "burning the station down" if the show continued.

Not exactly a warning one takes lightly as it could "risk everything",  said CEO Buddy Shula. 

This is pretty dark, if this kind of limit on free speech is being threatened. My view is if I don't want to listen to something, I can always tune out and turn it off...but a threat to do damage is very real and a bit brutal.

Here's more on the story...

Um yeah, sounds like DiPietro is bullshitting:

Shula says he believes the message he sent to DiPietro may have gotten a little confused. “I had mentioned that I did not want to get threats or anything like that, as I saw what was going on in the Capitol, and he may have misunderstood that I was getting threats. Like I said, I never received any threats ever from either side.”

Shula, who is the station's owner, says he told DiPeitro he didn't want to get threats after what happened in the Capitol and DiPetro spins that into "Antifa types threatening to 'burn down his station'" when in fact Shula says " I never received any threats ever from either side".

If there had been a threat the police, of course, would have gotten involved - but there's no indication the police have even been called. I think this is another example of right-wing talk radio hosts making stuff up. 

The real story here is that the owner decided to dump politics from his station in light of the Capitol Hill riot which had been fuelled to a great degree by talk radio and DiPeitro is deflecting this into a false claim that "antifa" threatened the station. He probably also says "antifa" was secretly behind the Capitol Hill riot. 

Last edited by Hansa (January 28, 2021 12:47 pm)

January 28, 2021 12:40 pm  #3

So there was NO THREAT to burn down the station.
After reading the article it's clear the host, a NY state Assemblyman just made it up. 
Seems to be a lot of re-writing the narrative going on in US politics these days.

January 28, 2021 1:13 pm  #4

A "representative from Antifa".
Is that the 2021 version of "a hacker called '4Chan'"?

January 29, 2021 9:46 am  #5

zed wrote:

So there was NO THREAT to burn down the station.
After reading the article it's clear the host, a NY state Assemblyman just made it up. 
Seems to be a lot of re-writing the narrative going on in US politics these days.

Correct and there is nothing dark or limiting free speech. You can hear the real story from Buddy Shula. The gullible   will of course continue to believe the lies told by the Assemblyman. 

Freedom of speech to spew lies yes well people are free to believe the earth  is flat.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 29, 2021 11:06 am  #6

This is the problem with many US talk radio stations.  Everything is seen through the prism of right and left which is stupid.  And neither side is listening to the other.  WECK isn't even a talk radio station and  they are caught up in this?  They may even consider all the press to be a bonus.  But really, supposed threats to burn down the station because of a talk show??  Amazing how the host and the owners of the station are in the communication business, and clearly they aren't communicating with each other at all.  Yes, we have a failure to communicate..